Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 83308 times)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome

Guys it's just water. I'll be out in the rain as it keeps the masses away ;D I expect a couple of days of banner fishing if the weather report is true...
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

farky

Guys it's just water. I'll be out in the rain as it keeps the masses away ;D I expect a couple of days of banner fishing if the weather report is true...

couldn't agree more.

nickredway

• Old Timer

Bring it on!

oscar

Made the run up from Dewdney to the mouth for first light. Schools of fish darting around in the clear low water.Managed a couple of beautiful hatchery bucks at low slack, on blades.Was surprised to see the water turn extremely muddy, and full of crap (green slime that clogged spinners on every cast) on the incoming.Was basically un-fishable after noon.

Can anyone shed light on the connection between blades, and "male" coho? I've managed to get out a fair bit lately, with some good success, but all hoes so far are bucks on blades.Some kind of territorial reaction left up to the males?

EZ_Rolling

I find I catch more bucks on hardware as well

Sterling C

• Old Timer

Can anyone shed light on the connection between blades, and "male" coho? I've managed to get out a fair bit lately, with some good success, but all hoes so far are bucks on blades.Some kind of territorial reaction left up to the males?

The males typically show up before the females do. It's early in the run right now so I would expect to be hitting males.
Actions speak louder than words.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer

The males typically show up before the females do. It's early in the run right now so I would expect to be hitting males.

Interesting observation Sterling.  Yes, last week I was catching lots of male coho.  Now we're starting to see some hens.

We'll see what this rain brings.  It might not "blowout" the river as far as water level goes, but it will certainly colour it up.  Hopefully not too much, but it's pretty typical to get a big rain in mid October that blows the river!

CohoJake

• Old Timer

The river still isn't as high as it was mid September - when I still couldn't believe how low it was.  http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/graph/graph_e.html?stn=08MH001&prm1=3&prm2=-1&mode=graph&smo=9&sday=15&syr=2012&emo=10&eday=14&eyr=2012&y1min=&y1max=&y2min=&y2max=  Any word on clarity?

dcajaxs

I was out first light, clarity is starting to decrease bu there are still plenty of fish around.  Getting them to bite is something else, small hooks, small presentation is key. 

FishingKing

Bite was on from 7-10 this morning, then the rain coloured up the water pretty bad and the bite was off the rest of the time I was there from 10-1

milo

• Old Timer

Completely blown out.

jeff

I was just doing some research on chum openings on the Vedder this year and what I found is that they seem to be open for retention for the whole season this year. Are they not being closed on the 15 of October again this year?
Enjoying the water..........

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I was just doing some research on chum openings on the Vedder this year and what I found is that they seem to be open for retention for the whole season this year. Are they not being closed on the 15 of October again this year?

Retention of chum salmon has always open for the whole season, with the exception of the past couple of years when managers were unsure whether the return was low or late.

jeff

Ya thanks Rodney I thought it was going to close again.
Enjoying the water..........

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Visibility in the canal is 1 foot this morning.