Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 88890 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer

I was out on the Vedder this morning and the visibility is certainly reasonable but the river was very high.  To give some idea of that you would have seen the river up from bank to bank looking east from the Keith Wilson Bridge.   There were some sandbars exposed about 300 meters or so east of that bridge.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

I was out on the Vedder this morning and the visibility is certainly reasonable but the river was very high.

River is FAR from high it's only at 1.9 meters at the crossing gauge currently. 2.2 meters is a normal flow, that's a whole foot higher! Hopefully the water clarity holds out for a fair bit tomorrow when the rain hits as I plan on being out and will report the clarity when I can.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

fishseeker

• Old Timer

River is FAR from high it's only at 1.9 meters at the crossing gauge currently. 2.2 meters is a normal flow, that's a whole foot higher! Hopefully the water clarity holds out for a fair bit tomorrow when the rain hits as I plan on being out and will report the clarity when I can.
Sorry didn't mean to mislead anybody, maybe it just seemed high compared to what I am used to.

Rybar

Was out this morning with a friend, we tried lower mid-river and the lower canal. Conditions seemed pretty good, water was much clearer than I would have imagined from the recent rain and wasn't too high at all. Maybe a little higher than normal for the people that usually fish the canal.

alan701

Was at kw bridge yesterday when the water level was 1.95 at vedder crossing. The bar was well fishable (especially with waders) and was there for a few hours and absolutely nothing for everyone. Might be worth going up river instead now.

water level is here: http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/graph/graph_e.html?stn=08MH001&prm1=3&prm2=-1&mode=graph&smo=10&sday=15&syr=2012&emo=10&eday=19&eyr=2012&y1min=&y1max=&y2min=&y2max=

salmonrook

Was at lower canal today for a few hours ,clarity was 3-4 feet .Raining quite hard
Didnt get anything .Still  beats a day at work .
Does the rain spook the fish ?  ???

ICA

Given the current conditions, the fish just "jet" up river and they dont have to pass through the gaunlet of anglers but have the whole width of the river to choose their route. I guess until they get to the upper sections where the river narrows down somewhat and that is why they are getting hammered there or so it seems.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Water was starting to color when I left at dark because of the heavy rain. I fished in the AM and evening at Gwyn's run. I was able to hook my 4th coho of the season but lost it, landed 2 coho jacks and numerous chums, missed a few. Also found a nice Maple Leaf Drennan, 28 gram, my third find  in 2 days. ;D

I don't think things will be too good tomorrow except for the Tamihi Rapids crew. As well I believe we are now in the twilight days for the coho on the Chilliwack Vedder River as the recent rain has made the fish very happy as they now are racing through the system. Time to try other flows and get ready for the steelhead season.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:14:37 PM by chris gadsden »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Hey Chris whats happening with the parking at Tamahi?
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Hey Chris whats happening with the parking at Tamahi?
Have not been up that way, what do you see?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

All the tamahi parking along the flossing stretch is being closed off with orange wooden obstructions.
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

All the tamahi parking along the flossing stretch is being closed off with orange wooden obstructions.

Pavement work. The lower section of mid river had the same parking closure.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

your kidding me?  ::)
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Pavement work. The lower section of mid river had the same parking closure.
Nice to start this during the monsoon season, ::) the workers looked like drowned rats yesterday aft erenoon.

What a downpour last night and now strong winds.

River up over 2 feet from yesterday, who again on this forum wanted rain? You have got your wish, good for the fish so far.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 05:34:37 AM by chris gadsden »

Charts

Is it blown out this morning?