Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Jigs  (Read 19150 times)

JPW

Coho Jigs
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:45:31 PM »

Just picked up some sweet new jigs to build up for the Coho season from Highwater Tackle in Lonsdale.

There are a ton of colours to choose from and I'm betting they're going to be deadly!  As usual the crew at Highwater was incredibly helpful and answered all my questions.  I highly recommend them if you're on the North Shore (and even if you're not!).

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Coho Jigs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 07:38:46 PM »

I love how the lead heads  seem to glow. I know it says owner hooks and that usually means a great hook but what are the hooks like with these jigs. I have only found one jig hook to be good enough for jig fishing for salmon and steelhead. Please let us know how these end up standing up this year.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

lapa

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »

I love how the lead heads  seem to glow. I know it says owner hooks and that usually means a great hook but what are the hooks like with these jigs. I have only found one jig hook to be good enough for jig fishing for salmon and steelhead. Please let us know how these end up standing up this year.

I used Maxi jigs last year and didn't have single issue. Company uses Owner 2X strong hooks and they are bullet proof

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:11:53 PM »

how much are these three packs? I've had no complaints with the owner jig hooks

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »

You guys should try out bent rods jig's. They did very well for me all through coho season and steelhead season last year.

the sickle hooks are just the bomb.
Tight lines to all

FishingFitz

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »

I agree, the bent rod jigs are good, good hookset with the sickle hooks.

Animal Chin

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 11:35:27 PM »

What colors (rabbit fur or marabou) did you guys find work especially well with coho at the Vedder?

Did you jig them from the bottom, or free spool them under a float? Did you tip it with prawn? If I can get away with using jigs and prawns vs roe for coho I'd be pretty happy.

I caught a couple of steelhead with lots of pink.. pink white, pink chartreuse, but it wasn't like I was slaying them so can't say anything definitive. I know chum simply can't resist a jig. I don't have much experience with coho and jigs.

I like the sickle hooks a lot too. Not sure though whether the solid, perfect right-on-lip hookset is because of the sickle hook or if it's because of the way a jig sits/floats down a river.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:37:49 PM by Animal Chin »

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »

it really depends on the colour of the water.
I suggest a pink/chartreuse, Orange/peach, orange/red, aswell as the classic pink/white.

if you want to add a chunk of shrimp or other sentables that also helps your hookup chance.

Tight lines to all

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:00:31 PM »

I suggest the folowing color combos for coho.

Brown/orange
olive/orange
pink/blue
blue/silver, such as pearl uv polar chenille , or krystal flash
black red
and my favorite all around jig purple/cerise.

I always tie in some kind of sparkle shiny material into my personal coho jigs although it is certainly not essential.

Another thing to try is twitching jigs, I will be posting up a video on this technique as soon as some numbers of coho arrive worth fishing for.

Twitching jigs I use can be viewed on my website www.bentrods.ca.

I also will often just use a 1/4 ounce jig with 3" curly tail grub on it just as you would for Pink Salmon, excepting I use a bunch of different colors of grubs, such as purple, white, black, red, orange and if the water has color chartreuse.

Best of luck with the Coho this year, hopefully the run is a good one.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:03:36 PM by BentRodsGuiding »
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

If I can get away with using jigs and prawns vs roe for coho I'd be pretty happy.

I can quite honestly say in my experiences I have out fished myself and others almost every time with colorados under a float for coho over roe.
Tossing spoons around will out fish anything else for coho IMO.
Then again I never did well with roe for much else than springs, spring jacks (practically all they hit) and steelhead, so maybe I'm not the best to weigh in on that one.

Haven't done much with jigs because the metal works so well, but if I were I would definitely toss some blue's and purples. I would also try a red and yellow one to imitate a mickey finn (has to be one of the deadliest flies). Blue/green, orange/yellow are other things Id try.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »

I also will often just use a 1/4 ounce jig with 3" curly tail grub on it just as you would for Pink Salmon, excepting I use a bunch of different colors of grubs, such as purple, white, black, red, orange and if the water has color chartreuse.

That's my favorite coho lure.  So simple tied right to the mainline.

joshhowat

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »

I can quite honestly say in my experiences I have out fished myself and others almost every time with colorados under a float for coho over roe.

This blows my mind. Now I think you just don't make your roe right. From what I have seen a good coho roe is unstoppable.

Heck I don't even use bait any more for steelhead it's just too damn easy.

Sorry for the thread high jack. Bent rod jigs are amazing!!!! I buy them bulk in #1. Once you hook up they don't let go. Also they sharpen up very well.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 07:20:16 PM »

Pink, blue, chartruse, purple and red are killer colors for coho and chum. When a fish hits it, no way they will let it go. Pull your float right down to your lead and only have your leading hanging, and these fish will come up to the surface and swallow it like there is no tomorrow. Make sure to bring your pliers! Can't even tell you how many amazing stories Ive had when fishing with jigs. Bent Rod jigs have really tough hooks, only jigs I will ever buy.

azafai

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »

bentrod jigs...  best hooks.. recommended.

I tie my own, using bentrod's material... I tie clumsy jigs, but killers... particularly chum killers..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:42:53 AM by azafai »

ejeffrey

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 10:26:15 AM »

I'm really interested in trying jigs for coho. How do you guys fish them? Just short float?  Do I still need to add lead weight to get the jig down, or is 1/4oz enough to omit the extra lead?
How about fishing them without a float in slack water? I imagine a jig and retrieve along the bottom could be productive, but maybe fly fishing is a better option for this type of water?