Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatheume Lake, September 7th - 9th 2012  (Read 1323 times)

twocoaster

Hatheume Lake, September 7th - 9th 2012
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »

Beautiful weather. Blue-green algae bloom in lake. Fishing for us was VERY tough, with only one fish about 17" boated, using scud pattern. One other boat reported seven fish one day, but they seemed to be the exception. :(

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Hatheume Lake, September 7th - 9th 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »

One fish in 3 days would sure put my PFA to the test...

twocoaster

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »

One fish in 3 days would sure put my PFA to the test...

Yup, patience was stretched for sure. We fished Fri evening, much of Sat, and Sun morning. Luckily, weather was perfect and we had lots of good food and drink on hand. ;D

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 10:53:28 AM »

I was there the 29-31st. I think the bloom was just starting at that time, as you'd see little green specs floating around near the surface, and Friday morning there were strips of green algae on the surface in some areas of the lake. Kind of surprising, since the air was cool and the water was around 16degC (I was under the impression that algae blooms occur in the summer/during warmer weather).

I brought one keeper to hand and one little guy (~14in). Had another keeper(?) pop off about 15 feet from my 'toon. Leeches were the ticket but fishing was SLOOOWWW. Sounder showed the fish moving around the lake; wished I'd brought a powered watercraft.

Another party had moderate success trolling a mosquito pattern on an intermediate(?) sinking line, lol, but most others on the lake had little luck.

The moon was pretty full at the time, maybe that had something to do with it; I've heard most bugs don't hatch around full moons, and didn't see anything coming off. Saw some scuds and water striders near shore, but that was about it. The one I kept had a couple of small (<1in.), dark red leeches in the belly.

Better luck next time! *fingers crossed*
A rig out of water catches no fish.