Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got any tips for picky springs?  (Read 5082 times)

brad7

Got any tips for picky springs?
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:16:09 AM »

I was on the chedder yesterday and I found nice spot just full of white springs, they were jumping and swirling all over the place. But be damned If I could get em to hit anything. I threw everything I had in my vest; Colorado blades, red wool, red and white wool, peach wool, bright pink wool. Anybody got any other ideas I could throw in my vest for next time?

EZ_Rolling

Re: Got any tips for picky springs?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:35:11 AM »

Roe

Chromie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:49:24 AM »

Long leader and a 2oz weight lol
just kidding roe should do the trick, you can pick some up probably from any tackle store if you don't have any.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »

Long leader and a 2oz weight lol
just kidding roe should do the trick, you can pick some up probably from any tackle store if you don't have any.

DOH - let's not bring that up again!!!

To the OP:  did you try using any bait?

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »

drift net

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:25:58 AM »

jigs, flies

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »

Anything but wool, I wish people would learn to fish without using wool...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »

Why? Wool can be darn effective, especially if we’re talking about springs and you’ve managed to find a ‘honey hole’ where they have stacked up.

To the OP, I’ve also found darker colors of wool (blue or green) to sometimes trigger springs though the peach/red range of colours would be my first thought too. Also Jensen eggs/gooeybob/corkies could be worth a shot. YMMV

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »

Why? Wool can be darn effective, especially if we’re talking about springs and you’ve managed to find a ‘honey hole’ where they have stacked up.

To the OP, I’ve also found darker colors of wool (blue or green) to sometimes trigger springs though the peach/red range of colours would be my first thought too. Also Jensen eggs/gooeybob/corkies could be worth a shot. YMMV

Alot of people associate the use of wool with flossing

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »

Don't waste your time using wool. Good roe will outfish wool every day of the week, twice on sundays.

Actions speak louder than words.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »

I agree.  It is unfortunate that flossers have chosen to use wool rather than beads or corkies.  In the past couple seasons, it always takes me a day or two to re-lean just how small of a presentation you need when fishing with wool for springs.  When submerged, the whole thing should poof out to no bigger than your thumbnail.  Also, color really does seem to matter.  Two years ago, it was peach, peach/red, or peach/white.  Last year, it seemed like all they would bite was pink - bubble gum or hot pink.

Also, you want a short enough leader (18 to 24 inches) so you know your wool is down on the bottom where the fish are, and use enough lead to get it down there.

I fished a whole lot of roe last year, and only hooked one coho on it (and no springs). 

Danny21

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »

Anything but wool, I wish people would learn to fish without using wool...

Although Sterling is right Bait will outfish wool.. If you dont have bait, wool is a good alternative.  old timers on the vedder have been fishing wool long before the days of flossing were around... wool can be effective with a short leader and if presented right.   

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »

Biggest spring i've seen caught on the Vedder was on green wool...........just saying
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

farky

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

Last year i was fishing a run mid river with everything i could think of . Then this fellow came in and within 3 casts had a nice spring to the beach,after releasing it and a few more casts he had another,so i had to go ask what he was using. He showed me his rig it was 10lb fluorocarbon leader with a #4 hook and a tiny piece of hot pink wool. H e then proceeded to tell me that when the water is low and clear you want to go as small as possible as not to spook the fish. Also he said it was important to stay back from the waters edge a bit, cause if you can see them they can see you. So i changed up my rig to what he had and that was the key for that run that day, as we had a great afternoon and about a dozen more fish to hand after that.

1son

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 05:52:45 PM »

It's personal preference to me just use what baits works best for you