Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mascaucre Hoes  (Read 28484 times)

fishforthought

Re: Mascaucre Hoes
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »

i just emailed the DFO, this is ridiculous and disgusting.

LP89CG

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »

derp derp.... must be so rewarding ::)

1son

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »

Holy crap that's just brutal.....

salmonlover

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »

how come no one says holy crap when commercial guys on the fraser net fish, and take way more than the natives. Or about the over harvest of the fish in the ocean. we all buy the wild salmon from the stores and think its not stained because the government says its legal for them catch/harvest that way. a select group of people the government allows to fish that way. But when the government okays first nations to fish this way (small select group)...oh no its so wrong its disgusting blah blah blah. Just seems like this site if full of racist and bigots who want to live by double standards. anyone who wants to argue about the identifying of fish? isnt there bycatch in commercial fishing? I like this site, too bad its full of ignorant cruel people. Try to understand instead of hating.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:14:10 PM by salmonlover »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 06:17:36 PM »

I think some people are upset that our tax dollars fund the hatchery on that river only to have a select group of people (who may or may not be contributing to said taxes in the same way) take a vast majority of the fish in a less sporting way.

Our tax dollars fund a hatchery that has supported a huge sportfishing fleet off West Vancouver for a couple of months now. Considering all the personal boats and charters, think of all the econcomic activity that has occurred as a result.

Our taxpayer dollars fund a hatchery that has supported a large beach fishery all along the West Van shorline. Think of a the economic activiity that has occurred as a result.

The hatchery is not just there to create a terminal in-river fishery for bank anglers.

Nah, our native brothers their just getting the lefovers. They fish that we couldn't catch earlier. ;D

fish.on

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 06:49:25 PM »

Coho running up the Capilano river meet with the natives.
This happens only 1 day of the year so haters and jelous freaks just shut up and turn the video off!!

That's what is says on the youtube vid.   If that is the case then meh.

This is not a year occurrence. It happens all summer as long as the cohos are running or until the fall rains wash away the weirs

The video response mentioned that a coho run of that size only happens a few days a year.  But they do harvest the rest of the year with numbers much lower.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »

This is the response I got from the uploader of the video.

there is nothing ilegal here at all . we used dip nets and it is our river. i dont know why they are pissing on the video . this was a rare day happens only once a year and not even this good in years past . perfectly legal and condoned by our chiefs and people. and it was all coho and there is no limit as the limit is the devices you are allowed to use to catch as in dams and dip nets and rods only.

So, as it stands, from what I can gather, the only things really wrong here is the possible mis-identification of fish and that some of these may be illegally sold? Aside from that, the actual practice taking place in the video is legal and fine (if the fish are indeed all hatchery coho), just done with little class and grace?
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »

This is not a year occurrence. It happens all summer as long as the cohos are running or until the fall rains wash away the weirs

I'm pretty sure this was some kind of special occasion as can be seen by the hoard of people and the excitement.
Yes coho are netted all  summer but not in mass like this afaik.

StillAqua

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 07:23:22 PM »

There was a large palisaded Indian village at the mouth of the river when Captain George Vancouver sailed into the inlet in 1793, as there were on all major rivers along the coast. Back then the natives used large rock and wooden weirs to trap and harvest their salmon from the river. What you're seeing in the video is no different from a historical re-creation.

If you live in the GVRD area, don't forget to thank the Squamish Nation every time you turn on your water tap, water your lawn or wash your truck, because the Cleveland Dam that supplies all or some of that water wiped out 95% of the spawning areas in the river and destroying the native fishery on the river. The hatchery was built to replace a portion of that lost fish but you should be thankful the band hasn't called for all recreational fishing be banned from the river until they get all of their harvest...the courts would back them up.

Not "sporting"? The very idea of sport fishing, particularly catch and release, is abhorrent to most indigenous people. They aren't recreational fishermen. They catch fish and game for food, not for sport or to play with. See what your wife thinks when you borrow the Thanksgiving turkey for a quick game of turkey basketball in the driveway. You're projecting your cultural values on a different culture...you might as well try to open a sports bar in Saudi Arabia.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »

Still Aqua - the voice of reason

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »

Looks like a day on Pegleg or Scales when Sockeye is open ;D ;D ;D ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »

There was a large palisaded Indian village at the mouth of the river when Captain George Vancouver sailed into the inlet in 1793, as there were on all major rivers along the coast. Back then the natives used large rock and wooden weirs to trap and harvest their salmon from the river. What you're seeing in the video is no different from a historical re-creation.

If you live in the GVRD area, don't forget to thank the Squamish Nation every time you turn on your water tap, water your lawn or wash your truck, because the Cleveland Dam that supplies all or some of that water wiped out 95% of the spawning areas in the river and destroying the native fishery on the river. The hatchery was built to replace a portion of that lost fish but you should be thankful the band hasn't called for all recreational fishing be banned from the river until they get all of their harvest...the courts would back them up.

Not "sporting"? The very idea of sport fishing, particularly catch and release, is abhorrent to most indigenous people. They aren't recreational fishermen. They catch fish and game for food, not for sport or to play with. See what your wife thinks when you borrow the Thanksgiving turkey for a quick game of turkey basketball in the driveway. You're projecting your cultural values on a different culture...you might as well try to open a sports bar in Saudi Arabia.

Wow! I would like to share a day on the flow with you, Sir.

Looks like a day on Pegleg or Scales when Sockeye is open.

Not nearly. It's much worse on Pegleg and Scale.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »

Do as you please in terms of how you harvest, just don't be selling on the side of the road or to local restaurants under the table

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »

Drinking is legal... doesn't mean people don't abuse their right to drink.....
same goes with this.
its legal but i doubt any bureaucrats give a rats my friend because they need to protect their image...
How about the FN respecting the nature they claim to protect and love. Maybe help us create the fishery that they rape. they should pay fisheries a fish tax to increase the fish numbers and help the survivability of their runs and increase all of our catch rates. Why should we provide the fish for their slaughter when they pay nothing to it...
Tight lines to all

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 10:13:30 PM »

lol nvm, wrong page!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!