Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Great lakes "steelhead"  (Read 5442 times)

Dogbreath

Re: Great lakes "steelhead"
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »

Call them what you will but the Great Lakes have thousands of times as many of them as BC-Steelies are going extinct here but there's little chance of that happening in the GL.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »

Call them what you will but the Great Lakes have thousands of times as many of them as BC-Steelies are going extinct here but there's little chance of that happening in the GL.

because the lakes are getting so much cleaner and all... :-\

Dogbreath

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »

because the lakes are getting so much cleaner and all...
The same issues that plague the Great Lakes affect us here but for many reasons results there are very different-mostly politics I suppose.

One thing I know for sure-twenty years ago I could easily catch 10 Steelhead a day in the Gold now you'd be lucky to catch that many in a season and many don't catch 10 in 5 seasons-the party is effectively over for South Coast Steelhead has been for some time now.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 08:58:34 AM »

The same issues that plague the Great Lakes affect us here but for many reasons results there are very different-mostly politics I suppose.

One thing I know for sure-twenty years ago I could easily catch 10 Steelhead a day in the Gold now you'd be lucky to catch that many in a season and many don't catch 10 in 5 seasons-the party is effectively over for South Coast Steelhead has been for some time now.

I think the greatest threat to the great lakes are the asian carp. If they get into the lakes they will spread like wild fire.

fish fishburn

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »

Lake O is an absolutely amazing fishery. spent 4 days there in early June and the fishing was nuts. Everyone was getting into them. Chinnies in the average of 20 to 25 lbs and lots of steelhead. The locals that fish the lake call 10lb steelies shakers, imagine that. Saw probably a dozen Chinnies over 30 lbs in the fish cleaning station while I was there. I still wouldn't eat anything out of Lake O but that my choice, lots do.

You guys think you got it bad out there when the run is on you should see it here. Most of Lake O tribs are water filled ditches compared to the size of the Vedder. Combat fishing at its finest. Dead fish with their guts slit all over the place. Beeks everywhere snagging and flossing. Still lots of sportsman fishers but heavily outnumbered by the others.

blueback

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »

Where around Lake Ontario were you fishing out of fish fishburn? I was back in the big smoke this past summer, too. I've caught lake run steelies back there too, and they fought about the same as the hatch jobs I've caught here, do (and lots of the wildies I've caught as well).