Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, Septembr 25th 2012  (Read 4629 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River, Septembr 25th 2012
« on: September 25, 2012, 02:58:46 PM »

We spent our first morning of this fall salmon season back on the Chilliwack River again. The first couple of spots definitely did not have any fish but we managed to encounter some at our third spot. By the time we arrived at our third spot, it was already 9:00am and the area has been fished through repeatedly. Float fishing with roe did not produce, which really was not a surprise. I switched to a spinner and slowly retrieved it under the float as no one else seemed to be using hardware to target these fish. Within a few casts, the first fish fell for it and it was a wild coho salmon, roughly around 5lb. The second fish, which was around the same size, went for the same spinner soon after. It was a hatchery marked male coho salmon so we will be enjoying it tonight for dinner. Beside this fine catch, we saw DFO officers patrolling and I managed to test out our new baitcasting outfit (Shimano 9.5' Clarus and Chronarch), which seems to be pretty awesome for tossing spinners and spoons.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, Septembr 25th 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:13:54 PM »

Did you really catch it or Nina ? :) :)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 04:22:57 PM »

ROD! i demand your reveal your offering to the coho gods before you go out to fish. Seems like you always get one  ;)
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »

Did you really catch it or Nina ? :) :)

:-X

ROD! i demand your reveal your offering to the coho gods before you go out to fish. Seems like you always get one  ;)

It's quite simple really. By attending this, it almost guarantees catches afterward. It seems to work for me each season. ;)

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »

Great looking fish Rodney and I don't really care whether Nina caught it or you did, as long as someone catches a fish, lol. I think I know that spot by the way.

Sabre

• Bite Me
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »

Nice fish Rod!  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:11:14 PM »

It's quite simple really. By attending this, it almost guarantees catches afterward. It seems to work for me each season. ;)
Maybe offer some of these items to members of the forum that attend th cleanup, I will take 2. ;D ;D

FishingKing

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »

Nice fish Rod, can't wait til I catch my first coho of the season. Hopefully this weekend   ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 06:18:31 PM »

We spent our first morning of this fall salmon season back on the Chilliwack River again. The first couple of spots definitely did not have any fish but we managed to encounter some at our third spot. By the time we arrived at our third spot, it was already 9:00am and the area has been fished through repeatedly. Float fishing with roe did not produce, which really was not a surprise. I switched to a spinner and slowly retrieved it under the float as no one else seemed to be using hardware to target these fish. Within a few casts, the first fish fell for it and it was a wild coho salmon, roughly around 5lb. The second fish, which was around the same size, went for the same spinner soon after. It was a hatchery marked male coho salmon so we will be enjoying it tonight for dinner. Beside this fine catch, we saw DFO officers patrolling and I managed to test out our new baitcasting outfit (Shimano 9.5' Clarus and Chronarch), which seems to be pretty awesome for tossing spinners and spoons.

They were there, you just left too early. ;D ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 06:21:52 PM »

They were there, you just left too early. ;D ;D ;D

I wasn't going to wait five hours to get a bite... ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:30:35 PM »

I wasn't going to wait five hours to get a bite... ;)
A nice break with a coffee and muffin, clean up some garbage, find some floats and then back at it when the bite is on.

Oh I forgot retirement helps too. ;D ;D

Fish rolling everywhere at dark too, looks good for tomorrow. ;D ;D ;D

rickjames_2

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:36:11 PM »

I managed to test out our new baitcasting outfit (Shimano 9.5' Clarus and Chronarch), which seems to be pretty awesome for tossing spinners and spoons.

Sweet fish Rodney, nicely done. Anything else to say about the new outfit? Was considering picking up a Clarus myself.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 10:40:27 PM »

Today was my first day using it. Actually, correction, today was Nina's first day using it, then I snatched it from her when I saw those rolling coho salmon. It casts so nicely, the tip is so sensitive and there's plenty backbone for fighting a nice fish. Toward the end I took the float/spinner outfit off and cast a 1/4oz spoon without any additional weight, that felt even nicer even though no fish were hooked. :D The length is also good enough for the type of float fishing that we do (float depth no more than 5ft). The colours of the rod and reel also match quite nicely! Gotta look good while catching fish of course. :D

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 11:17:17 PM »

I agree, hope to get good karma after the clean  ;D
Tight lines to all

Morty

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »

By the time we arrived at our third spot, it was already 9:00am and the area has been fished through repeatedly.

Great report Rodney and thanks for adding your comments about the rod/reel.  I am presently looking for a good rod to cast spinners and spoons on the Chedder system.

I was out Sunday afternoon to scout the river and see there the channels and pools are before the water comes up.  Rod in hand of course ;-)  noticed a big mass of wood/weeds drifting down stream which got way more attention from me when it came across current and started moving upstream again.  With a little adjustment of the polarized lenses it became obvious this was a school of fish.  I was so anxious to get my rod together and land a bunch of these that my hands just didn't work right and every step toward getting a line in the water lead to another frustration.  how many times in a row can a knot not hold??? etc.

Finally calmed myself down and drifted some nice roe through the school - nada!!  tried casting further, closer, shallower, deeper.  nada!!  Another angler took notice of my focus on that patch of water and ventured over to see what I was doing.  He tried a dab of pinkish-peach wool - several drifts and nothing for him either.  We were pretty much resigned to the fact that the water was too clear and the late afternoon too bright for them to be taken by any lure.  My new friend then changed wool colour and first cast - BANG FISH-ON!.  I then changed my presentation to a very small Colorado with a red bead in front - few casts then FISH-ON myself.  Before I had to leave we had a total of 10 take-downs, five fish-on 3 to the beach.  

Another lesson in why it's called "fishing" and not "catching".
Enjoy the river guys.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"