Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's a beek?  (Read 19327 times)

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
Re: What's a beek?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »

Who are you kidding, you are the definition of BEEK

oh please...
A swung fly is the best fly.

rickjames_2

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »

FOC has been writting a number tickets at KWB I have been told for individuals fishing past and before the one hour limit.

Yeah that was something I noticed too. It's funny though, those fishing too late or early know they are doing wrong. Twice last week as I waited for the light I could hear and see people fishing, one as early as 5:15am. But like I said, they know they are in the wrong. All it takes is the question "is that you casting?" And they stop and won't cast again until everyone else is. Guilt and shame, at least they know it. Twice I had this experience in the last week, almost like deja vu.

Good to hear they are ticketing em for it. Really is a black and white issue, pun intended.  ;D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 10:36:10 PM »

Yeah that was something I noticed too. It's funny though, those fishing too late or early know they are doing wrong. Twice last week as I waited for the light I could hear and see people fishing, one as early as 5:15am. But like I said, they know they are in the wrong. All it takes is the question "is that you casting?" And they stop and won't cast again until everyone else is. Guilt and shame, at least they know it. Twice I had this experience in the last week, almost like deja vu.

Good to hear they are ticketing em for it. Really is a black and white issue, pun intended.  ;D

probably BigFisher, he likes to fish at 4 a.m. with glow sticks.

you know it's true Ry  ;D
A swung fly is the best fly.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:56 PM »

Guys that yell at you from the other side of the river saying you're breaking the law by fishing in a certain area.   I would define a beak as someone who thinks they own the river, someone who thinks he is the best fisherman in the area, a guy who thinks he can't do no wrong, etc... I wouldn't nessiscary call some one with inexperience or lack of knoweledge on the proper methods or ethical methods of fishing these rivers beaks, more or less to stubborn to learn the correct methods. A beak is someone who knows what they are doing but still "beaks" or puts down other fisherman because he wants to more or less make himself look better, so I would in short call a beak an " egotistical my friend" for lack of better words.

I keep the freshwater synopsis in my backpack when I go fishing, so that I can prove to beaks or other people that they are usually just too full of themselfs to realize the real laws, and help people learn to identify fish / laws and regulations for the certain rivers if need be. You would be amazed at the ammount of people that say to know all the regs and such but in reality are just call you out because you're out fishing them  ;)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2012, 11:48:15 PM »

If you wear a yellow rain coat.
Your probably a beek.  :o

If you use Maple Leaf Drennans your probably a beek. :D ;)

If your fishin with me.
Your either a beek or soon to be one. ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:50:14 PM by firstlight »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 12:34:03 AM »

Hello Chris  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 04:50:39 AM »

Well now I know you are one for sure along with FA that always has been one. ;D ;D ;D

Nucks

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »

What is a beek?

You can be called a beek from the moment you walk into a hole, the gear you use, how you use it, how you fight a fish, what you wear, and even how you talk. Here some examples of beeks:
1)   You walk in with a tackle box
2)   You wear yellow rain gear
3)   You aren’t wearing waders
4)   You’re wearing rubber boots
5)   You show up at 9:00am and say.......doesn’t anybody work anymore
6)   You wade into gin clear water and you’ve now spooked all the fish that were right in front of everyone
7)   You squeeze in between guys and don’t even talk to them
8)   You stand 4 feet from me
9)   You low hole a guy. If you’re a beek, you won’t know what this is
10)   When confronted, you don’t understand English after you’ve been speaking it all morning
11)   You say......any pinks yet
12)   You say......any bites yet (these are called hits or strikes)
13)   You say......where’s all the spings (they’re actually called springs)
14)   You use a coffee grinder and barely know how to use it
15)   You spend half your day with your gear in a tree
16)   You're constantly fighting with your bird nest
17)   You constantly cast way up river
18)   You constantly cast up river over my line
19)   You cast down river over my line
20)   You use oversize gear for the water you’re fishing (huge hooks, big dink floats, piece of wool 4 inches long never trimmed, 6 foot leader)
21)   You use undersized gear for the water you’re fishing (trout spinning rod when there are springs in the river)
22)   You floats lays horizontal to the water
23)   You’re line is slack in the water while your float drifts downstream
24)   You don’t know how to fight a fish
25)   You don’t know how to bleed your fish and why you’re even doing it
26)   You don’t know how to clean your fish
27)   You leave your dead fish in the sun for half a day and wonder why it doesn’t taste very good

Essentially a beek is a rookie. An experienced angler can see a beek a mile away. When a guy walks in to a spot, or even the first few casts.

Is there a problem with being a beek? Well, not really I guess, but it sure isn’t fun fishing beside you. Everyone started out as a beek, nobody knew how to fish the very first time they went out. The ticket is, a true fisherman learns his trade, asks questions, talks to the guys in the know, picks up tips here and there, listens to what people tell him. It’s a guy’s choice if he wants to stay a beek or evolve as a fisherman. I started out as a beek sure. I first used a coffee grinder for my first season when I was 15, then my folks bought me my first Sage rod and baitcaster. I have now fished for 22 years and own 4 centerpins. I loved the sport and I evolved.

The problem I see is that there are so many new fisherman spawned from the huge sockeye run a few years ago and these “fisherman” if you want to call them that, are not evolving. They are still following all the beek examples above because they are truly only there for the meat. This is the other problem, everyone is after meat these days. Take a look at the amount of pinks being bonked these days, you never would have seen that in the past. Take a look at the gong show at the Keith Wilson Bridge, that place used to produce and was a lot of fun but you won’t get me near it anymore. The other problem I see is a lot of the true fisherman are getting squeezed out of “their” spots. Guys are either getting in boats and hitting other water or moving to other systems to have a more enjoyable experience. Some guys refuse to hit the Vedder now.

When I walk into a spot, I survey the water and the other fisherman. I look for the true fisherman, walk up to him and ask how the fishing has been. This guy is usually fishing a pin but don’t be fooled by his gear though. I’ve seen guys decked out with Simms waders and jackets, using Islander CP’s, and don’t know a dam thing about fishing. These are still called beeks.

It has nothing really to do with money as others have mentioned. A guy can get set up with appropriate gear at a fairly reasonable price. If a guy can spend 30 bucks on gas per day to get to the Vedder, he sure as heck can fork out the $400 to get set up.

Being a beek has nothing to do with littering or garbage as other have mentioned. Those are called litterbugs and a disgrace to society. Shame on you!

Snagging is debateable if it’s called a beak or not. In my opinion, it they should be classified as unethical and these rat bastards should be beat with a cue ball in a sock. Don’t fool yourself here either guys, there are people on this site that post fish that have been snagged. They’re among us. They read everyone’s reports of where and when the fish are in, and then head out. Beware when you post a report of your fish and provide the location.

When I first got my centerpin, I went to the Allouette and played around for a while. Nobody else around and I learned before I hit the big time at the Vedder. When I learned how to fly fish, I went to a nearby park without a hook and a piece of wool tied on the end.

The bottom line is folks, if you don’t want to look like a beek or be called a beek, go out and get the proper gear, learn how to use it and practice before hand. Go to a stream near you, go to a park, go to a slow section of the river, or go to the river during slow season. Spend some time at your local tackle shop and learn the lingo. Not many people do this anymore.

You are the only one that can decide if you truly are a beek or not. Whether you want to remain a beek is entirely up to you.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:31:40 PM by hundred miler »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 09:50:04 AM »

So how long have you been a beak ?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:56:38 AM by Bently »

Nucks

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 09:57:43 AM »

Or someone that has almost 400 posts   :)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 09:59:23 AM »

;D

Nucks

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »

22 years now by the way Bently  ;D..................not planning on changing either  ;)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »

22 years now by the way Bently  ;D..................not planning on changing either  ;)

So once a beak always a beak is what your saying.  Good for you, nothing like having a well earned "veteran beak status".  ;D

Nucks

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »

All honestly, I've probably met each and every one of those examples when I first started out. You don't know what you don't know right? Takes a bit to figure it out.

rickjames_2

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »

What is a beek?

3)   You aren’t wearing waders

This is the only one I meet. Sorry but I love to fish, all different ways(drifting with my levelwinds or pin, fly fishing, and spincasting) and I do it all in shorts and sandals. Well into November on the Vedder and I do a bit of Steelheading that way too. Maybe I would wear waders if it made sense for me. I am 6'7 and it is tough to find waders for someone as tall, and fat as me that come with size 15 stockings. Sure I could spend $500 plus on a custom pair of Simms, and maybe one day I will, but does this really make me a friggin Beak?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.