Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's a beek?  (Read 21524 times)

wizard

Re: What's a beek?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »

please explain how using a float with a spinning real is beak behaviour? 
I do it all the time and have seen many other good anglers do this so, not sure what the problem is there.

Being a beek is someone who litters, throws line/tim ho's cups on ground, uses barbed hooks/bait on banned rivers, drags fish onto rocks without id'ing, fingers in gills of released fish, kicking fish back into water, unnecessary rudeness, snaggers, keeping over their limit etc...

salmonlover

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »

I do it all the time and have seen many other good anglers do this so, not sure what the problem is there.

Being a beek is someone who litters, throws line/tim ho's cups on ground, uses barbed hooks/bait on banned rivers, drags fish onto rocks without id'ing, fingers in gills of released fish, kicking fish back into water, unnecessary rudeness, snaggers, keeping over their limit etc...

i didnt get that either... why float fishing with a spinning reel is a beak ???  If you go down to washington and oregon most of the guys use spinning reels with a float as well as the guys back east in canada. It only seems in bc a levelwind is the reel of choice, if youre not using a pin or fly fishing

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »

Absolutely nothing wrong with using a spinning rod floating. It's just some people who like to look down on others if you're not wearing a Pantagonia jacket, using Sage rods and Islander or Milner center pin reels.

salmonlover

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »

Absolutely nothing wrong with using a spinning rod floating. It's just some people who like to look down on others if you're not wearing a Pantagonia jacket, using Sage rods and Islander or Milner center pin reels.

so would those guys be considered a beek :-\

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »

No, we consider those as narrow-minded jerks.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 03:40:24 PM »

No, we consider those as narrow-minded jerks.

X2

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 04:12:34 PM »

I have seen hundreds of guys fishing salmon with floats and "coffee grinder" spinning reels.
I have seen exactly none of them opening the bail to freespool.
I have seen exactly hundreds of them fishing with excessively long leaders using the swing and reef technique.

Using a spinning reel with a float may not make you a beek, but it certainly don't smell pretty.

katfish

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »

I have to say it is not easy being a beak.  Learning this sport on your own is difficult.  Most people have family/friends show them how  to fish.  My Dad taught me how to fish with a worm and bobber and that is pretty much it.  Other people immigrate here and have never fished for trout/salmon.  For years I wanted to fish the rivers for salmon but did not know where/when/how to start.  One day August day in 2010 I walked into Chilliwack Dart and Tackle because I heard the news about the huge sockeye run.  They rigged my up and I was hooked.  I was shocked at the crowds, but I could not resist the thrill of hooking a fish.  I did not BB this year and have progressed onto more rewarding pursuits...  Drifting a float and fly fishing still waters.  I muddled my way through, often to the amusement and occasionaly frusteration of other anglers.  it was (and at times still is) humbling but that fishing bug is too powerful!

Sites such as this one have made it much much easier.  So I am grateful beak too.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »

I had my buddy using my spinning rod with a float - his FIRST time out salmon fishing ever - short floating the same way I was with my pin. Except I told him just to focus in this one area of water and keep the drifts short -- ended up getting into a few spring jacks.

Had to make due with what I had available for equipment at the time.

It doesn't matter what you are using as long as you are fishing in a correct manner, I've seen people using long leaders using the swing and reef technique on all types - its the way you set up your rod from the rod tip to the hook that makes you an idiot.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 05:37:38 PM »

Good point, didn't even think about that at the time.  Above all, this is what makes you a beek.

I wasn't trying to to be an ignorant a*****e, just trying to stir the pot, have a little fun.  No need to take it personal.

Happy fishing, tight lines..

If my rivers were cooperating, I would using my Milner CP on my Sage rod, but probably not wearing my Patagonia jacket, on a river today, instead of talking smack on my Laptop.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:09:31 PM by TheChumWhisperer »

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »

Long leader rippers come from all walks of life, using coffee grinders, pins or baitcasters. Seen it all on the chedder from old timer white dudes with milners and kingpins, young guns with there dads setup, asians and euros with their "coffee grinders",  typical average joe with a baitcaster fishing on his way home from a long hard day of work using the old rippem to shreds method.

Bottom line is, can't judge someone by what they are using but by how they are using it.
A swung fly is the best fly.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2012, 09:11:59 PM »

Long leader rippers come from all walks of life, using coffee grinders, pins or baitcasters. Seen it all on the chedder from old timer white dudes with milners and kingpins, young guns with there dads setup, asians and euros with their "coffee grinders",  typical average joe with a baitcaster fishing on his way home from a long hard day of work using the old rippem to shreds method.

Bottom line is, can't judge someone by what they are using but by how they are using it.

Who are you kidding, you are the definition of BEEK
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »

Who are you kidding, you are the definition of BEEK

Doesn't it take one to know one? ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »

I donot know what you want to call them but we are seeing some serious problems from KWB down, it like in Alaska where they do have a season to snag your fish.

FOC has been writting a number tickets at KWB I have been told for individuals fishing past and before the one hour limit.

Browne Road has some snagging problems too.

Drewhill

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »

Lots of people snagging mid and upper river as well. Best part is they still aren't getting any fish!