Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's a beek?  (Read 19328 times)

Nucks

Re: What's a beek?
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2012, 01:03:18 PM »

I was generalizing for the most part. But, there is a time and place for waders. When it's mid summer and hot out, waders aren't a neccessity because you can wade in the water to land your fish or release it. But, when it's cold enough to where people don't want to get wet when landing or releasing a fish, then it's not cool. Sliding a fish up the bank if you plan on releasing your fish would also put you into the Beek category.

I'm not saying this is you, just clarifying.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:12:03 PM by hundred miler »

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »

I was generalizing for the most part. But, there is a time and place for waders. When it's mid summer and hot out, waders aren't a neccessity because you can wade in the water to land your fish or release it. But, when it's cold enough to where people don't want to get wet when landing or releasing a fish, then it's not cool. Sliding a fish up the bank if you plan on releasing your fish would also put you into the Beek category.

Oh god that is the worst. I understand if you dont have waders, dont want to afford them, cant afford them, any number of reasons (excuses) but if you are going fishing, wear a pair of shoes you can get wet, and take a change of pants and socks! You dont have to wade, but get your my friend in the water to release the fish, and then get out.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »

Lets see been fishing over 40 yrs now, never worn waders and I release fish, guess Im a beek. Sort of a moronic response, no?
Take the T out of Morton.

Nucks

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »

All depends on how you land and release fish. Doesn't matter if you release fish or not, it's how you do it.  You'll have to provide more detail on how you land and release fish. The comment of moronic response doesn't seem justified as you haven't detailed how you actually do. Saying you release fish means nothing other than ............you release fish. I think you're jumping to conclusions.

I've seen guys without waders land and release properly. By this I mean actually getting wet rather than sliding the fish up the bank or up a pile of rocks. Landing fish can be done properly with or without waders.

You're reading to much into my response. I think you'll need to re-read my response as well as DanJohns.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:05:09 PM by hundred miler »

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »

All depends on how you land and release fish. Doesn't matter if you release fish or not, it's how you do it.  You'll have to provide more detail on how you land and release fish. The comment of moronic response doesn't seem justified as you haven't detailed how you actually do. Saying you release fish means nothing other than ............you release fish. I think you're jumping to conclusions.

I've seen guys without waders land and release properly. By this I mean actually getting wet rather than sliding the fish up the bank or up a pile of rocks. Landing fish can be done properly with or without waders.

You're reading to much into my response. I think you'll need to re-read my response as well as DanJohns.

Not really, I agree with you. I cant stand people that think because the fish is released, everything is well and good. Slide em on the beach, let em flop around, wiggle the hook out and kick em back in! Yay, they stayed dry, and practiced C&R!

Nucks

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »

Sorry Dan, I was referring to Bassonator. I know you agree with me and I'm pleased to see that. Sounds like I could fish beside you anyday :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »

What is a beek?

You forgot to mention,someone who like me now sits on a lawn chair while fishing for coho and also because my 40 year old Avon is covered with roe and procure .

Ah, lawn chair is used because of my bad knees after 60 years of badminton, 20 years of pitching fastball 15 years of umpiring and 20 years of hockey. What will they say when I need a ramp to get down to the river.

Anyway I am happy beeko begone. ;D ;D

fish.on

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »

I too was curious what the term BEEK meant as many anglers I talked to didn't have a concise definition but rather just many different examples, some of which were contradicting.  Everyone knows the term, but everyone has his/her own interpretation. Even when I read previous post on the forums, there were no clear consensus on the definition of the term. I think a good mordern day definition I found stated a "BEEK" is someone with poor fishing or angling etiquette.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:26:19 PM by fish.on »

Nucks

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »

I actually thought about it and I remembered you. You're not a beek and you know it. You are a well respected angler that most of us could aspire too.

I'm sure that one day I will also be using a lawnchair  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »

I actually thought about it and I remembered you. You're not a beek and you know it. You are a well respected angler that most of us could aspire too.

I'm sure that one day I will also be using a lawnchair  :)
Was just showing we have to be careful when judging the actions of people out on the river. I can be guilty as well at times.

In our circle of anglers we use the tern of beak O begone as a term of endearment. ???

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »

You forgot to mention,someone who like me now sits on a lawn chair while fishing for coho and also because my 40 year old Avon is covered with roe and procure .

Ah, lawn chair is used because of my bad knees after 60 years of badminton, 20 years of pitching fastball 15 years of umpiring and 20 years of hockey. What will they say when I need a ramp to get down to the river.

Anyway I am happy beeko begone. ;D ;D
Yeah, and Id come and kick your lawnchair into the river!

Acutally I wouldnt, because I would feel bad. BUT, I would give you dirty looks as I fished a run, standing, and got more and more jealous of your sweet wading chair. AND THEN I WOULD KICK IT INTO THE RIVER!

:D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »

Can we agree that all Leaf fans are beeks ? :D :D

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »

Look at the pic in Rod's fishing report. There you will see some beeks in action.

Nucks

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2012, 06:54:33 PM »

Yup, definitely some there for sure.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »

Video of "The View From Above" being down loaded now, who will be the first to comment. ;D ;D ;D