Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 28th 2012  (Read 3694 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River, September 28th 2012
« on: September 28, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »

After having some quick success with my new Clarus and Chronarch setup, I was eager to bring it out again to try it some more. I really enjoy float fishing with roe, but I decided to keep that spinner from the last trip on the line when I ventured out this morning. Although I left to the river quite early, to my surprise the parking lot where I arrived at was already quite full in the dark. Thankfully most of these occupants were not fishing at where I wanted to fish as usual. Most tend to pick the deepest, narrowest, swiftest part of the river, thinking that's where most fish like to congregate. I love the shallow, flat water where coho salmon tend to sneak into and lay unnoticed. At first light, a lure or bait pass through unsuspecting coho salmon will almost generate some bites. Today was no exception.

I slowly retrieved the float with the spinner vibrating beneath it when darkness disappeared by the river bank. It didn't take long for the first hit to come but I barely barbed it so the fish came off immediately. Another one soon followed and it was not as lucky. This fish was well hooked as they mostly are when caught on a spinner. It did the usual leaps and rolls before being beached once I noticed the absence of its adipose fin. One hatchery-marked male coho salmon, roughly around 6lb, was on the beach before 7:00am. It was going to be a good day, so I thought.

There were not many fish rolling at first, but as the morning session progressed, more coho salmon could be spotted as they entered the run from the riffles below. Large and small, they were all extremely silver. These sightings kept the blood pumping and we did not waste anytime by keeping our bait and lure in the water as much as possible. Despite of the large amount of fish, the bites were few. I managed to briefly connect with another one on the spinner, before switching to roe. The water is low and clear, so these fish were obviously cautious. The bites on my roe were light, the float barely moved, sometimes it actually bobbed upward. I managed to briefly connected with two more fish, but they were poorly hooked. Most fish were pretty far out from shore, so it was hard to set the hook solidly when the length of line from the rod to the float was quite long.

It was hard to tell if more fish were coming into the run or they were simply doing circles, because we could see more rollers and leapers as the day went by. The bites never "picked up", but it was not impossible to catch them. Once awhile a fish would commit and those who were focused managed to bring in the odd fish.

Overall, it was a pretty good day with at least a dozen changes, four hook-ups and one fresh fish brought home in the cooler. :) The experience was even better when those who fished around me were friendly, knew exactly what they were doing and very considerate when landing their fish.

Have a great weekend, even though it will surely be busy as it always is in the last weekend of September. Some spots that I came across in the Lower River, as seen in the above photo, were quite busy. Apparently Friday is the new Sunday. ;) Don't be fooled and discouraged of course, because you can easily find productive spots along the Chilliwack River without having to worry about losing an eye to hooks. Don't follow the crowd as it will not lead you to fish. Pay attention to what's in the water. Good luck!

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Chilliwack River, September 28th 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 02:24:18 PM »

Oh man! that crowd is INSANE!
Hoping the crowds aren't too bad tomorrow, I'm going to be walking the river in search of a quiet place to fish early in the morning...

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:24:42 PM »

2 weeks ago i had that run all to my self. all i have to say is wow. looks like the fraser.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »

That pic is decieving ! Rod where we were it almost empty seems everyone likes to fish that fast section.Went back about an hour later and the bottom end had only two guys.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:47:05 PM »

That pic is decieving ! Rod where we were it almost empty seems everyone likes to fish that fast section.Went back about an hour later and the bottom end had only two guys.

What are you talking about, it was unbearably crowded... ;D And you spooked all the fish at the tailout. ;)

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »

Thanks for the report Rod. Hopefully it won't be bad Sunday when I plan to make the trip.  That Portmann Bridge situation will be interesting.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 02:57:37 PM »

I was really enjoying your tale, though when I scrolled down to that photo I almost coughed up something lol.What a crowd
Really enjoying the fish pics and helpful details for those who want to hit the Vedder this season.
I cant wait to see a few more fish on the north side of the Fraser

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 03:49:50 PM »

I can never recognize these crowded spots from pictures, probably because i've never actually bothered to try to fish near them

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »

I can never recognize these crowded spots from pictures, probably because i've never actually bothered to try to fish near them

Ha! same with me, never fished the "popular" crowded spots. Although, not recognizing a run could also be due to the fact I don't fish that river very often.

mark

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 05:43:53 PM »

That pic Rod,is a drift net of lines. Those fish don't have a hope in hell of getting through.   :o . Oh nice fish by the way.  ;)

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »

Rod i was spooking them up to the crowd:) I went back at 3:30 and it was the same lots of people up top , lots of fish jumping and only three hook ups for the afternoon.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 07:49:34 PM »

HOLY FREAKING HELL! i fished there two weeks ago it was just me my buddy and one nice older guy. . .  :-\ nice fish by the way rod.
[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »

Jaysus!  the last thing I would want to be is a salmon in the C-V tomorrow and Sunday.
God help 'em  :'(

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »

Beautiful fish rod :)
Glad to see the spinners were working for you too.
Managed to land one wild coho around 6lb today at the mouth of the vedder outlet into the fraser..
Watched schools and schools of fish swim by.
A lot of chum salmon moving in. also quite a few large spring salmon were spotted in the very very low water.
A whack of seals were swimming around munching on the slow unlucky fish
and quite a few beavers too

Thank you for the photos, and the report it was a good read after releasing my only coho of the day.

Tight lines to all

1son

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »

That Crowd is just nuts lucky I don't fish those types of areas