Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 28th 2012: No Dice  (Read 2034 times)

matthawkins

Chilliwack River, September 28th 2012: No Dice
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »

I hit a couple sections between Peach & Lickman today. First place there was an older guy cursing at anyone that came through the run. His line got tangled with someone and it resulted in a shouting match and snapped lines. Then some more yelling. I didn't care if there was fish there, this guy made it brutal to stay there.
Next spot, ran into a couple guys with a jack already on shore. They welcomed me to slide into the run and we chatted it up across the river for a few hours. A guy name Ray showed up and on his first cast he landed a spring, about 20lbs. Next thing you know Ray was bringing in a nice jack. I kept tossing roe and actually got my line tied up with a guy across the river. We both apologized, had a good laugh, untangled the lines and kept fishing. I typically fish on my own or with a couple close friends, so it was encouraging to fish with a bunch of good guys. Despite crossed lines, or tossing floats into other guys drifts by accident, we were all cool and saw a few fish get hooked and landed.
I've only been fishing for a year and I got asking Ray a bunch of questions. He showed me a new knot, a bunch of pointers and we had a great time enjoying the river.
I came home empty handed, but one of my favorite days fishing on the Vedder so far.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, September 28th 2012: No Dice
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:50:57 AM »

Great report!  It's not always about how many fish you caught!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:02:47 AM »

Thanks for the nice report.  In my experience most of the people I run across on the Vedder are great.   I have found weekdays better than weekends because I come across more experienced and more laid back fishermen during those periods.  Its a great opportunity to chat exchange ideas and learn.

Nucks

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »

I've only been fishing for a year and I got asking Ray a bunch of questions. He showed me a new knot, a bunch of pointers and we had a great time enjoying the river.
I came home empty handed, but one of my favorite days fishing on the Vedder so far.
Now this is what it's all about right here  ;D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »

Stratocaster and I checked out the river yesterday and had a similar experience with an older guy who thought he owned the river.  I set up about 25 feet above him and hooked into some fish.  He started to get angry and shouted at me about how "you guys" don't respect other fishermen, and that there's plenty of river to fish so why don't I just leave.  This was in spite of the fact that he was actually closer to the guy downriver from him than I was to him (he was tangling up with guys downriver, but somehow didn't seem to mind).  I believe the "you guys" may have been a racial reference.   ???

I bit my tongue, and continued fishing - letting him cast first since he was downriver (as I always do).  I could also tell he was fairly inexperienced - plastic wrap was still on his cork handle and he was fixing birdsnests out of his abu garcia every 5 - 10 minutes.  He eventually pulled out a rod with a coffee grinder, but could not get the right presentation.  He ended up leaving.  Maybe if he was more respectful, I'd be willing to give him a hand and try to get him into fish.  It's guys like that who can ruin a perfectly good day.

As for the day, we scouted out different parts of the river.  Stratocaster and I each released a beautiful wild coho, and hooked several spring jacks.  Didn't see any hatchery coho though!  Where did they go?  In the last two trips, I've landed 4 wild and 2 hatchery coho.  Stratocaster has also landed a handful of coho, but all wild!  The season is still young - but the low water conditions are making it more challenging for sure.  Good quality roe at first light has been the most productive method so far...

Well, good luck out there everyone!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:49:59 AM by FlyFishin Magician »

matthawkins

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »

Thanks for the nice report.  In my experience most of the people I run across on the Vedder are great.   I have found weekdays better than weekends because I come across more experienced and more laid back fishermen during those periods.  Its a great opportunity to chat exchange ideas and learn.

I've fished a couple weekends, so now I just move my work schedule to be on Saturdays and Sundays just so I can fish during the week. It's great fishing with some of these guys that have been on the river for decades. Some guys seem to have a lot of fun helping people get into fish. All you experienced guys helping us newbs on the river, thanks. I really appreciate it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about individuals who come to the river with the mindset that everyone around him is there to ruin his day. At the end of the day, you have the last laugh because he most likely shortened his own lifespan by being so angry and treating others like the way he wants to be treated.

Didn't see any hatchery coho though!  Where did they go?

They were further downstream. ;D