Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 3rd 2012  (Read 4946 times)

Green Horn

• beat the water..til the fish crawl out to ya!!
Chilliwack River, October 3rd 2012
« on: October 03, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »

Was out to the vedder at first light. The coho's where more than happy to bite until about 7:30. The springs never gave up! I caught and released about 3 coho's, one huge chum...and over 10 springs...with one jack.
The pictures are...one of my fish...one of Dan...from abbotsford...this picture is of Dans second of A sh&# load of fish he caught...on the fly!! using a 10# leader!!
Dan and his group showed most the guys up and down the river..techniques and had everybody catching fish!! IE...his brother in law...also from Abbotsford!! Thanks guys!! I'm sure nobody on the river thanked ya!!
Me...I watched and took pictures...I was packed to go home!!
Anyhow...I need to go cure my roe...I see a trip fishing for those "great whites" commin up in my future!!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:53:08 PM by Rodney »
The Green Horn

alan701

Re: Chilliwack River, October 3rd 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »

what techniques? I keep going and get skunked. I want to try spinner under a float next time

1son

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 07:30:54 PM »

Those look like some golden eggs ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:51:35 PM »

Unusual colour eggs

Bandit420

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »

Unusual colour eggs

x2 very unusual coloured eggs
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Carich980

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 12:09:57 AM »

Did the Techniques involve a Sideways float, deep dropper weight and a long leader with Red wool? Have to laugh at guys using their Cp's with that set up. Maybe one day we can have a leader length restriction of 24 inches or less and leave the flossing to the fraser.

One fellow CP guy even tried to offer me some friendly advice. Apparently in order to catch fish you have too increase your leader length to 5'+ for when the bite goes off as the fish have just become more spooky to the weight/float and they prefer Red wool....what? /facepalm

Just stating an Opinion on my observations of recent outings of succesful consistent "Anglers" not accusing you or those involved of doing it.

Green Horn

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:27:38 AM »

on the eggs....you gonna think I'm lying here...but the pail eggs are from two white springs...and the red/pink colored eggs...where from Dans fish..it was a red spring..not bad colored...and that is no lie...I was standing with him as he cut it!!!

I was using about 24 to 30 inches of leader...the fish are leader shy...I had my float set about 3 to 4 feet...to stay higher for the coho.

But yes...the springs where low...and a long float set was neccessary...I'm not saying it was a good thing..we saw about 4 or more tail hooked springs get killed...and guys where yelling back and forth...it was almost like being at the scales for sockeye...but I like staying to myself....I was impressed with Dan catching and landing fish on the fly...so I had to get into his mind!!
The Green Horn

Green Horn

thanks Rod...
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 06:30:06 AM »

for combining my pictures with my post...must be hard babysitting all us computer illiterate old guys!!

:o)
The Green Horn

Athezone

• Old Timer
Re: thanks Rod...
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »

I would just like to say Thanks Rod as well and the mod's to for doing all the work in presenting us with a venue to voice our opinions, get a few laughs, learn many new techniques and make some new friends. And thanks you guy's for putting up with us, I know it can't be easy and must be frustrating at times but we do very much appreciate it.

Thanks for letting us all play in the best backyard a fisherman or fishergal can play in, Fishing With Rod !!! Thanks Guy !!!!  :) ;) :)

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 09:20:25 AM »

Congrats on a good day on the river! Sounds like I should have been there instead of working :(

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:23:05 AM »

on the eggs....you gonna think I'm lying here...but the pail eggs are from two white springs...and the red/pink colored eggs...where from Dans fish..it was a red spring..not bad colored...and that is no lie...I was standing with him as he cut it!!!

I was using about 24 to 30 inches of leader...the fish are leader shy...I had my float set about 3 to 4 feet...to stay higher for the coho.

But yes...the springs where low...and a long float set was neccessary...I'm not saying it was a good thing..we saw about 4 or more tail hooked springs get killed...and guys where yelling back and forth...it was almost like being at the scales for sockeye...but I like staying to myself....I was impressed with Dan catching and landing fish on the fly...so I had to get into his mind!!

That "red" spring is possibly a marbled spring.  In any event, congrats on the good day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »

for combining my pictures with my post...must be hard babysitting all us computer illiterate old guys!!

:o)

I would just like to say Thanks Rod as well and the mod's to for doing all the work in presenting us with a venue to voice our opinions, get a few laughs, learn many new techniques and make some new friends. And thanks you guy's for putting up with us, I know it can't be easy and must be frustrating at times but we do very much appreciate it.

Thanks for letting us all play in the best backyard a fisherman or fishergal can play in, Fishing With Rod !!! Thanks Guy !!!!  :) ;) :)

You're welcome. ;D

We were out briefly yesterday afternoon until dark, picked a vacant run in the canal so we could do a bit of filming etc. It was vacant for an obvious reason.... There were no fish! ::) Beside a big school of chum salmon that zipped right through the run, which was pretty cool to see, and the miss of a quick float dive, no coho salmon were threatened. The sun was warm, and the most exciting part of the day was caught on video. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GCXHEEbY98

Beside having two brief visitors, we had the whole run to ourselves, which was pretty nice despite of the lack of fish. With that being said, I'm not going back to it again this season, the spot that is! ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »

Nice fish but i hate that spot its like the second kwb.
[

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »

You're welcome. ;D

We were out briefly yesterday afternoon until dark, picked a vacant run in the canal so we could do a bit of filming etc. It was vacant for an obvious reason.... There were no fish! ::) Beside a big school of chum salmon that zipped right through the run, which was pretty cool to see, and the miss of a quick float dive, no coho salmon were threatened. The sun was warm, and the most exciting part of the day was caught on video. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GCXHEEbY98

Beside having two brief visitors, we had the whole run to ourselves, which was pretty nice despite of the lack of fish. With that being said, I'm not going back to it again this season, the spot that is! ;D

You use an ND filter on that scene?

wireless mic? pretty good audio..
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:59:30 AM by dennisK »

rickjames_2

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »

Rodney, that was hilarious. Your face was like, "he is not coming over here is he? really? I Think he is coming over here. Well, maybe he is not...nope, he is coming over here." Watched it twice already hahaha!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.