Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 4th 2012  (Read 3032 times)

mikeyman

Chilliwack River, October 4th 2012
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »

Head up after graveyard, started just after 8am. Fished till 2 pm. 15 float dives, 9 hooked, 2 lost adult coho, 2 hatchery bonked, 2 jack coho, one hatch bonked. 3 chum landed, bonked one clean doe. All and all not bad. Funny didn't get a single spring, not to say they weren't there, but last trip I couldn't keep them off the short floated roe. Probably hooked 20 fish last trip, mostly jack springs and adults with a few chum mixed in, only one coho. So good to get some more coho action anyways. Really had to work for the bites today though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:53:58 PM by Rodney »

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 4th 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »

Mikeyman, were you fishing the same spot?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »

If he was fishing the same spot, and I know where Cohoman fishes. Then I think I know where Im starting next time.  ;)
The Bigger The Better!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 04:35:32 PM »

If he was fishing the same spot, and I know where Cohoman fishes. Then I think I know where Im starting next time.  ;)

I am going there too :D :D

mikeyman

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »

where was I fishing hmmmmmm...somewhere on the river where there was water, and some fish...don't think it matter much where you fish, just find the fish, fish properly and be patient because if they are there, the float will eventually go down, yippeeeeeee!!!!

mikeyman

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »

Oh and no I wasn't fishing the same spot...or was I....hmmmmmm....

jacked55

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 07:25:57 PM »

Went out today at first light to a great spot with soem good friends, CARich980, and a few others. We lined up right beside each other in hopes to keep the flossers away. At first it seemed to work lovely as the 5 of us had the calm part of the run all to ourselves with the nearest flosser about 50 feet upstream of us. What a beautiful but cold morning. In the first 2 hours i landed my first hatchery coho ever on the Vedder, of about 4lbs with the help of CARich980, thanks bro. We kept on fishing and i then landed a nice little jack spring of about 6lbs.
As the day went on most of our group got into various fish.
Until about noon when we slid into a beautiful little spot we nicknamed, " coho corner." And man, was the bite ever on. There was so many coho holding there it seemed like the water was lined with silver.
Second cast, BAM float down, coho on. Being that i have never experienced this feeling yet, my adrenailine was through the roof. Wow, you guys are so right about their fighting ability. Needless to say, some slight error on my part playing the silver dancer, and all of a sudden the look on my face liekly told the story, fish off.
So determined i rebait and cast right back into the same spot, nothing. Second cast, bam float down and another coho on, this one was huge! From my friends view he said likely 10lbs or more, played this fish much better, fought him for about 5 minutes, before "snap" leader breaks, fish off, again.
Damn these babies can sure fight.
So now more determined than ever i re-tie a leader and set out to get me another coho.
About 10 minutes later, same as before, fish on. A good hook set puts my hook right through the upper mouth and as this beautiful fish jumps reapetedly out of the water i feel that this time i will win the fight. My buddy and i start backing out of the water with me being totally certain to keep pressure on when needed, and letting him do his dance when needed, about 5 minutes into the fight i finally win the battle and beach this beauty ho. Hatchery, bright silver, 7.5lb male. Wow, what a fish, what a fight. I am sold on the coho, best fighting salmon i have landed to date.
All in all, everyone in our party got into some fish, and we had a great time fishing, talking and enjoying the day. We didnt even let the flossers down the way get to us, as we were just having to much fun, at coho corner.
Thanks guys for all your help today.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:37:13 PM by Rodney »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »

Fished 'The Glove" at first light , incoming tide to no avail although the Master was here in the afternoon and found a few jack coho.

Went back for the evening bite, missed 3 and landed a clipped coho jack. The fish were once again going by in waves as darkness settled in but as Nick says they are very hard to make the adults bite. He even tried blades but the fish would not look at it he says.

I saw some caught tonight but I am sure most were flossed by way the people were drifting through the schools as they passed by, good sized ones too. ???

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:03:33 PM by chris gadsden »

LP89CG

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 11:47:56 PM »

I can't seem to get much luck. There's a huge hole between community street and Wilson rd. I can see huge amounts of fish circling in the hole. probably 8-6ft deep. Jumpers, rollers but no biters. Tried spinners and tried floating roe at a super slow drift.  No one else is having luck there.

Guess I should try another spot.

BLAH!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 12:09:27 AM »

I can't seem to get much luck. There's a huge hole between community street and Wilson rd. I can see huge amounts of fish circling in the hole. probably 8-6ft deep. Jumpers, rollers but no biters. Tried spinners and tried floating roe at a super slow drift.  No one else is having luck there.

BLAH!

Or try another approach.
Use the smallest spinner you have in your arsenal ( a #1 Blue Fox Vibrax in blue or green would be perfect) at first or last light. Be patient, change the retrieve. Let it stop spinning for a second or two...twitch the tip of the rod. Eventually you get to pi$$ off a fish or two.  ;)

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 06:42:21 AM »

I know that spot,too bad it has people chucking gear from above it spooking the fish. The water is so clear that you have to remember the rule of " if you can see fish the fish can see you".
After they left, I tried a low profile technique... got down and knelt on the ground and casted my spinner as far away from me as I could. Got 3 takes when the spinner was about 20 ft. from me. 2 wild and 1 small jack.
    Stealth fishing works.
It ain't the roe bro'

Old Blue

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 08:00:29 AM »

Go smaller than usual on all presentations as well as your leader weight.  If you usually use 8lb then go for 6 or if your stomach can handle it 5. Clear water conditions, no cloud cover or rain and a bazillion people pounding on fish with heavier gear make things tougher for sure but you'll figure it out.

bluenoser

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 08:26:17 AM »

Mikeyman...you were into a bunch of fish and bonked 4 and it wasnt a bad day...whats a good day like for you?

BTW...Congrats on the ok day.

BN

mikeyman

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »

fare enough, it was a good day... a great day would have been...any day of fishing is a great day, regardless of catching, just a bonus when catching lots of chrome I suppose.

Down with the flossing and snagging!

FishingKing

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »

BLAH!

Flourocarbon leader and clear floats have worked well for me, and maybe you need better roe  :P