Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Here it comes......  (Read 7803 times)

mko72

Re: Here it comes......
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »

Just for some clarification: when a river "blows out" does that mean there's too much water for decent fishing, or too much water for the fish to move up, or BOTH?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »

Just for some clarification: when a river "blows out" does that mean there's too much water for decent fishing, or too much water for the fish to move up, or BOTH?

Both....first couple of days the fish will boot it up to the hatchery, but if it hits flood like conditions, the spawning grounds will take its toll...also wading conditions become treacherous.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »

I feel for the fishermen at the KWB, where will go now ? ;)

i for one will be happy to see the canal become to deep for wading, especially since the springs have been getting pegged off like fish in a barrel....wet sloppy conditions is what keeps the weekend warrior home.

mko72

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »

i for one will be happy to see the canal become to deep for wading, especially since the springs have been getting pegged off like fish in a barrel....wet sloppy conditions is what keeps the weekend warrior home.

Agreed.  I work in the film industry and bad weather is the name of the game.  I do a little teaching these days and invariably one student asks "What if it rains?" and they're always surprised when I say "Bring a raincoat."

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »

I take exception to your use of weekend warriors. Some of us fish only weekends because we have M-F jobs and the weekend is the only time we can head out and play - come rain or shine. The only thing that can keep me home on a fishing day is the awareness that the water is too high and/or murky. If the river holds up in the rain, I'll be there and so will scores of others who only get the weekends off to fish.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43:03 PM »

I take exception to your use of weekend warriors. Some of us fish only weekends because we have M-F jobs and the weekend is the only time we can head out and play - come rain or shine. The only thing that can keep me home on a fishing day is the awareness that the water is too high and/or murky. If the river holds up in the rain, I'll be there and so will scores of others who only get the weekends off to fish.

See: weekend warrior

SS Fintastic

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 01:04:43 PM »

River will blow 100% I will venture out but everyone should stay home and wait for my update  ;)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »

If the river blows, most of the river will be unfishable and visibility will be poor so only snaggers will catch fish.
It is however good for moving fish. Not good for existing redds as they may get washed out.
Also potential for flooding and property damage so instead of fishing a lot of people will be putting up sand bags and dykes to protect their homes.
This is really the extreme.
That's not to say that people can't catch fish if they know how.
My favourite is the slow steady rain, just enough to cloud the surface of the water and cool it down.

StillAqua

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »

Assuming the long range weather forecast is accurate, that is...... ???

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 10:31:36 PM »

pardon the pun...i should have stated "fair weather" fisherman.  ;D

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 08:14:43 AM »

I feel for the fishermen at the KWB, where will go now ? ;)
Haha,I love it!

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 11:33:33 AM »

Hey it worked!!!

I was told that if I wore all my fishing gear commando and danced around my pile of fishing rods and chant that the rain would come!!

Did anyone else do the same?

;D
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

rickjames_2

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 12:15:09 PM »

Hey it worked!!!

I was told that if I wore all my fishing gear commando and danced around my pile of fishing rods and chant that the rain would come!!

Did anyone else do the same?

;D

Apparently too many of us did...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »

35-45mm.... Good luck.

by Saturday , you'll need a plough to fish the vedder.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 02:48:03 PM »

Remind me never to buy your used waders. LOL