Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, October 16th 2012  (Read 3167 times)

paddy

• Fishing near Tamarindo
    • My Personal website
Capilano River, October 16th 2012
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »

Lots of water - wonder if they opened the dam or if it was the rain over the weekend?

Anyhoos, fished for a while at the mouth from the rocks at low tide.  Nada.

Moved to Klahanie area and fished - nada.

Went for a walk near the main parking lot near that camp and saw some people fishing.  Asked them.  Nada.

Tomorrow is a new day :)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano River, October 16th 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:43:49 PM »

I went there today for a peek and a poke. Water a bit high IMO for the spots I like. I saw two guys fishing beako's bluff from the opposite aide i was standing. they were trying to hoist up a steelhead 10 feet in the air when it popped off, thank god.  Would have definitely have gotten the rock shampoo.

I went over and said that was a steelhead he was trying to hoist up. "Was it?." Was the response I got.

Right after he walked away from me I noticed he was fishing a barbed treble hook. Actually both of them were.

Being the nice guy I am I thought I would politely inform them the gear regulations...as these guys clearly didn't know what they were doing.

BUT - no need for me to finish. Conservation officer was standing right behind me.

Came down, took gear, wrote ticket. Then some hack got in an argument with the CO, trying to defend the guys saying "LAST TIME I CHECKED YOU ARE ALLOWED TO FISH WITHOUT A SALMON STAMP AND JUST CATCH AND RELEASE".,..

The CO looked at me and then back to the guy and we each had a good laugh.

"How about you leave the enforcement to me sir"

"Have a nice day."

The show was once again better than the fishing.

;D

noobfisher

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:04:32 AM »

Good to hear those guys getting ticketed for the violations!  Sounds like they deserve the tickets, good on the Conservation Officers!  Love the response the CO gave the idiot voicing his opinion, I would have been tempted to make that guy go for a swim after the CO left.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:06:38 AM by noobfisher »

hotrod

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 06:13:04 AM »

For me, The first morning on Sunday when the river got high the numbers of fish running through and being caught was nothing short of phenomenal! But then by early afternoon they just seemed to turn off!Couldn't get a sniff of anything even though I could see a lot of fish on the move.By this time the river was too high. Monday and tuesday proved to be the same.In last 2 days have only managed a chum.

hotrod

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 08:07:47 AM »

I believe you can fish for salmon without salmon stamp, just not retain.
But if you are fishing with barbed hooks you are not doing catch and release.
Good to see COs on the Cap, they were all over the Vedder as well.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »

For me, The first morning on Sunday when the river got high the numbers of fish running through and being caught was nothing short of phenomenal! But then by early afternoon they just seemed to turn off!Couldn't get a sniff of anything even though I could see a lot of fish on the move.By this time the river was too high. Monday and tuesday proved to be the same.In last 2 days have only managed a chum.

hotrod

It seems to be that way every year. The very first day during/after the very first big rainfall, thousands of fish come through.

But then that's it. The ocean empties and the fish are up at the hatchery within hours. All that's left are springs in most of the pools, who push the coho out and up to the hatchery.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »

I believe you can fish for salmon without salmon stamp, just not retain.
But if you are fishing with barbed hooks you are not doing catch and release.
Good to see COs on the Cap, they were all over the Vedder as well.

You're right, you can.

The point was the CO did not even mention having a salmon stamp or not and being able to catch and release, the guy standing there chose to just start yelling this out.

The CO was just talking to the two guys about using barbed treble hooks. Either way it was one of the few 'success stories' regarding COs i have come across on systems other than the Fraser.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »

It seems to be that way every year. The very first day during/after the very first big rainfall, thousands of fish come through.

But then that's it. The ocean empties and the fish are up at the hatchery within hours. All that's left are springs in most of the pools, who push the coho out and up to the hatchery.

yah i was catching bright coho till end of november. In the lower end. I wih more people believed that. Keep them at home :)
[

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:13:20 PM »

You're right, you can.

The point was the CO did not even mention having a salmon stamp or not and being able to catch and release, the guy standing there chose to just start yelling this out.

The CO was just talking to the two guys about using barbed treble hooks. Either way it was one of the few 'success stories' regarding COs i have come across on systems other than the Fraser.

COs confiscated a whole bunch of gear from the natives this weekend. They were banging trebbles and heavy lead all over the place.
The next day there was not a single native guy on the river (where I was fishing).

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »

Don't they fish in their land only?  ;)

Headshake

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »

I have been checked by CO's on the Cap and Squamish rivers more times than any of the fraser valley rivers combined. I never understood why there isn't the same effort on the vedder given the amount of fishermen there. Anyway, nice to see them at the Cap all the time.
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »

I have never been checked during coho season but was checked 6 times last steelhead season.

You would think that they can find more violators during the coho season.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 03:20:40 PM »

Remember, COs are Provincial and have jusridiction over steelhead.  They are a separate entity from DFO which is Federal.  DFO Fisheries Officers have jusridiction over salmon.  Now I do not know if this is true, but I heard that the Feds have been cutting back which would affect the number and/or presence of Fisheries Officers.

Stratocaster and I were checked by DFO Fisheries Officers on the Vedder during the 2010 season.  They were ticketing people for retaining adult springs and not recording it their licenses.  The only comment to me from one of the officers was "hey - nice coho!" as she inspected my catch   :).  It was good to see them out there for sure.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »

COs confiscated a whole bunch of gear from the natives this weekend. They were banging trebbles and heavy lead all over the place.
The next day there was not a single native guy on the river (where I was fishing).

Haha, no way? I heard about 600 fish were taken on saturday from the reserve side, had everyone and their dog out their fishing, lol

That's funny they got their stuff taken and didn't come back...at five bucks a pop, those trebles sure do add up :)

I heard they aren't allowed to snag if they are off-res...

Also saw a spring today with a big treble hook in its back, a real trooper!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 04:07:35 PM »

Haha, no way? I heard about 600 fish were taken on saturday from the reserve side, had everyone and their dog out their fishing, lol

That's funny they got their stuff taken and didn't come back...at five bucks a pop, those trebles sure do add up :)

I heard they aren't allowed to snag if they are off-res...

Also saw a spring today with a big treble hook in its back, a real trooper!

I guess you and I were fishing in the same spot  ;)