Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any suggestions about the warmest socks  (Read 11205 times)

fishyfish

Re: Any suggestions about the warmest socks
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »

Just got back from Costco.  I don't have a membership. I got in no problem. Wanted to see if they had these Merino socks before I try to get a one day or visitor pass. Find the socks in a big bin in a row with other socks. They had lots. Got in a return/sign up line with socks in hand. Strike up a conversation with a lady who is wondering why I am "returning" socks. Explain to her I fish and want to buy the socks for fishing. Interestingly her husband was at the Cheakamus yesterday fishing. Get up to the desk and am basically told I was s out of luck. There is no one day or visitor pass. The lady from the line is next to me and offers to buy them for me. So as advertised by Tadpole but not entirely correctly. He said 3 pairs for around 12 bucks. They actually had 4 pairs for $12. Can't wait try these out. They also had next to the bins a Merino underarmour I was close to buying but jammed at the last second. Thank you for the suggestions.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »

One pair of your basic tube socks, one pair of wool socks.  Good to go till it's -10c.  

This might work for you but I would definitely not recommend anyone else following this plan if they want warm feet.  Assuming yoiur "basic tube socks" are made from cotton, as every tube sock I've ever seen is, then that's far from the ideal base layer you want against the skin of your feet.

Cotton does not wick away moisture, and gets cold when wet. It isn't bad to wear when it's hot and you want to stay cool, as it takes longer to dry out and hence cools you down more efficiently, but if we're talking "staying warm", it's not a good bet at all.

I used to wear tube socks as a base layer for years, and my feet are miles warmer and more comfortable now than they ever were in the days I wore cotton socks under wool socks.

Just my 2 cents.
Tex

*edited to add... here's a great link comparing some base layer materials for staying warm:  http://thenextchallenge.org/2012/05/comparison-base-layer-materials/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:14:35 PM by Tex »

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »

thin wool socks and wool/ice socks from Marks.

I also learned years ago to ensure you are not cutting off circulation around the hips as well as at the ankles and also on occasion have used those disposable hand warmers tucked into the sock at the calves, though that was usualy when tending to a rocker or sluice box. I also try not to allow my feet to get sweaty or ovely warm when driving out , and if they do; I put a fresh pair of socks on.

The old saying if your feet are cold, put on your took, bares thinking about.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

purplehelmet

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »

I agree w/ Chummy above...  Then wool sox come off & can slide on runners & go for dinner once the waders are off!  I find the neoprene booties on the waders quite cold resistant.
It's NOT good for the smoker!

hotrod

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »

The socks that Simms makes are the best I've tried. Actually borrowed a pair from a buddy and never gave them back haha

just bought a pair of these and put them to the test! Super comfy and keeps really warm! in fact will most likely go get a second pair.

hotrod

adecadelost

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »

Another big vote for merino wool socks.  I also wear a thin sock liner under the wool socks on cold steelheading days and it makes a big difference.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 06:15:45 PM »

Sprinkle chile peppers in your socks. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »

Merino wool for sure - I also go for the sock liners (they are also very helpful to keep the blisters away!). 

Keep your head covered too - you lose the most heat from your head and once you start getting cold it can take a long time to warm up... 

Stay away from wearing cotton - this goes for socks, long underwear, t-shirts etc.  Stick with moisture wicking base layers and cotton or polar fleece.  Cotton Kills (it gets wet from sweat or from the elements, doesn't dry or wick moisture.  This turns into a refridgerator situation and lowers your core body temp.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »

Tell me, and I might forget;
  Show me, and I might remember;
    INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

good quote!!
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 03:56:18 PM »

Good old wool socks plus these inside have never let me down.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/Socks/Womens/PRD~4002-218/wigwam-gobi-liner-socks-unisex.jsp

This has been my set up for 10+ years of snowboarding and about 5+ fishing. Nice thing is wool still insulates if wet/damp and the liners can be dried out on your car dash heater in a few minutes. That's a plus if your waders spring a leak. Only happened to me once so far.  ::) The IceBreaker stuff is tops. I have a couple of there Merino T's and plan on getting some of their long underwear in the future.

X2 on the liners - Running Room also has liners if MEC is too far a drive.  Also X12 on WOOL.  stay away from anything with cotton or cotton blend - turns your boots into a refridgerator if/and or when they get wet!

jsut noticed I already answered - but it bares repeating - keep your head warm and stay away from cotton!  Also, it's been mentioned in the above posts, but keep boot size in mnd when purchasing - when it was getting close to time to replace my boots, i kept them for warm days and bought a pair 1.5 times bigger for the colder days, to accomodate the extra thick layer of wool socks....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:01:02 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 05:31:17 AM »

I got my merino socks from walmart. Kodiak, 2 pair, 9 bucks. They are a little thicker was they are work socks, but keep my feet very warm in wading boots that are a size too small. Marks also has 100% merino pants, but 65 bucks per pair. If costco has them for cheaper, and they are pure merino, id get them.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »

I have the Simms heavy duty Merino socks and liner socks

I read the "ingredient" list for the Simms liner socks ($12.99/pair) i then went to Wholesale Sports to see if they sold liner socks. they had the exact same liner socks but only $9.99/pair. These liner have CoolMax technology so you feet stay warm but not too warm. WS also had a different type of wader socks with this in them which im sure would be even warmer.

I only wear the liner socks when im fishing for steelhead in temps around 6degrees or under. anything over that and just the Simms socks are fine
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »

1. Wool
2. Wool
3. Wool

gw105

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:13 PM »

Checked the Costco in Abby about the Kirkland brand marino wool trail socks the other day, couldn't find them.  I checked with customer service and apparently none in Western Canada have any and they are not planning on getting any more in.   :'(

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »

--smartwool... not cheap but form fitting and due to processing not likely to cause alergic reaction or itching if wool is an issue for you.
--great for hiking as well come in different thickness and style