Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any suggestions about the warmest socks  (Read 11207 times)

fishyfish

Any suggestions about the warmest socks
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »

I know with todays technology there must be some modern technically advanced socks on the market. Has anyone come across some socks that they really really like. The older I get the colder my feet get. Where did you get them and how much were they? Thank you in advance.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Any suggestions about the warmest socks
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »

nothing beats old fashioned wool socks, but it's getting bad for you, purchase neoprene socks that go over your regular socks... you can buy them at most tackle shops...i'm not current on the prices because i bought mine 6 years ago for 15 dollars.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »

I think the warmest socks are those that are not tight so that your circulation is stopped.
And 2 pairs of them.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:53:23 PM »

I've seen socks that hold a 9v battery and pass current through a heating coil to warm your feet. I'm not sure how well that would work underneath waders.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »

Best I've worn are made by Icebreaker, and the materials is Merino wool.  Super soft, durable, and warm as heck.

Also expensive, but IMO they've been worth it.

Make sure they not too tight so that they don't cut off circulation in your feet.

Also consider trying the small hand warmers put over your toes when you put on your socks.  They can help keep the toes warm.

Tex

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »

Here is the answer for you FF. About 5 years ago I discovered that Costco is occasionally selling socks made of merino wool with a little bit of spandex for longevity.
They sell 3 pairs for about 12 bucks. The same socks are supplied by Mark Work Warehouse for about 16 dollars a pair marketed as "HEADS" brand. These are absolute cats arse. In winter I use 2 pairs or even 3 if steelheading in adverse conditions.
 My secret is wading boots 2## bigger than size of my feet, so I can accommodate for extra sock layers without cramping my toes.
Costco not always has them, so I stock up on them when they do. It looks like they have them now. At least here in Kelowna.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »

Here is the answer for you FF. About 5 years ago I discovered that Costco is occasionally selling socks made of merino wool with a little bit of spandex for longevity.
They sell 3 pairs for about 12 bucks. The same socks are supplied by Mark Work Warehouse for about 16 dollars a pair marketed as "HEADS" brand. These are absolute cats arse. In winter I use 2 pairs or even 3 if steelheading in adverse conditions.
 My secret is wading boots 2## bigger than size of my feet, so I can accommodate for extra sock layers without cramping my toes.
Costco not always has them, so I stock up on them when they do. It looks like they have them now. At least here in Kelowna.

Great tip, Tad!  I'm gonna look into this.
:)
Tex

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:47:41 PM »

As already mentioned, merino wool and boots that aren't too tight.

Still beats any new "technologically advanced" materials.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »

The socks that Simms makes are the best I've tried. Actually borrowed a pair from a buddy and never gave them back haha
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

scuntor

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:32:32 PM »

Just suck it up like I do with my size 16 feet jammed into my wader booties! A thin pair of merino wool does help. I have also heard good things about the Costco merino wool.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 07:52:14 PM »

I use 2 pairs of the Simms sox I also purchased 2 sizes bigger boots knowing I would need the room

prairiefire

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »

Good old wool socks plus these inside have never let me down.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/Socks/Womens/PRD~4002-218/wigwam-gobi-liner-socks-unisex.jsp

This has been my set up for 10+ years of snowboarding and about 5+ fishing. Nice thing is wool still insulates if wet/damp and the liners can be dried out on your car dash heater in a few minutes. That's a plus if your waders spring a leak. Only happened to me once so far.  ::) The IceBreaker stuff is tops. I have a couple of there Merino T's and plan on getting some of their long underwear in the future.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

fishyfish

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »

Excellent suggestions. I am going to try and get a couple pairs of merino socks. Thank you very much.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 11:40:57 AM »

The IceBreaker stuff is tops. I have a couple of there Merino T's and plan on getting some of their long underwear in the future.

I just bit the bullet on their long underwear last month and have already gotten my money's worth out of them.  Wore them under my fleece pants (which were under my waders) while fishing up in the thompson and cariboo and they kept me warm while kicking around all day in my float tube and pontoon boat.  Also wore them (along with an icrebreaker long-sleeved shirt) as pajamas while tenting in sub-zero temperatures and stayed warm all night long, even though I woke up to everything frozen outside the tent.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »

One pair of your basic tube socks, one pair of wool socks.  Good to go till it's -10c.