Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 17th 2012  (Read 3292 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, October 17th 2012
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »

Was out with my wife today and crowding was nowhere near as bad as I have heard reported but one fellow did tell me it was pretty packed under the Vedder bridge and closer to the hatchery - on a weekday, that was surprising to hear.   Started off on the Canal East of the KWB but the water level was really very high so I decided to explore around elsewhere.

I was blown away by the lack of fish in the system.  Very few rising, very few chums in the side channels compared to previous years and only saw one fish caught in the 4 hours I was there, never seen it that bad.   Either the run is very poor this year or the fish moved through the lower section of the river very quickly with all of this rain we have been getting.  Maybe that is the reason the upper river is so packed  :-\

That said it is always great to get out when the weather is half decent.   

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Chilliwack River, October 17th 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »

I visited hatchery and it is absolutely packed with coho and springs. One can literally walk on their backs.

Paulo

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:45:24 PM »

Fished about mid river today all day. From first light till about 5:00pm. Water was in excellent condition. 3-3.5' of visibility. Not many fish moving through. A number of chums first thing in the morning followed by quite a lull in activity. Finally some coho started to move through. Hooked a few jacks, some adult coho, a couple of springs and a couple of chums. By the end of the day a very satisfying day. Water dropped quite a bit in the afternoon. Hard to tell 6" maybe a foot. Used roe all day. Every species seemed to enjoy it. Good luck.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »

Obrigado!

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »

I visited hatchery and it is absolutely packed with coho and springs. One can literally walk on their backs.
I heard there were so many people fishing near the hatchery you could walk over their backs too :)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »

You were just in the wrong spot, my buddy Gooey maxed out.
Fish on!

Bandit420

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »

Was out with my wife today and crowding was nowhere near as bad as I have heard reported but one fellow did tell me it was pretty packed under the Vedder bridge and closer to the hatchery - on a weekday, that was surprising to hear.   Started off on the Canal East of the KWB but the water level was really very high so I decided to explore around elsewhere.

I was blown away by the lack of fish in the system.  Very few rising, very few chums in the side channels compared to previous years and only saw one fish caught in the 4 hours I was there, never seen it that bad.   Either the run is very poor this year or the fish moved through the lower section of the river very quickly with all of this rain we have been getting.  Maybe that is the reason the upper river is so packed  :-\

That said it is always great to get out when the weather is half decent.   

was out as well and was blown away by the amount of fish in the system. went home with my limit by 1030! ;D
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »

was out as well and was blown away by the amount of fish in the system. went home with my limit by 1030! ;D
Geez whats going on? Are you talking about today or yesterday? Were you fishing the lower section too?  I was there early and I saw very few rolling and only one guy getting one.  Anyway, I am heading out again tomorrow maybe I will have better luck next time round.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »

Fishseeker, don't worry. If it makes you feel better, I was in the same boat (or parts of the river) as you yesterday. :'( With the river level slightly higher now, fish are pretty spread out and they are always on the move. You definitely have to work now to find them or go to crowded spots such as Tamahi where they are likely to stage. I spend the afternoon walking around a section of the Mid River with not a single soul around. The fall colours were awesome, the air was fresh, the lack of anglers was a bonus. Fish were on the move and I could see a mix of chum and coho salmon darting upstream in the run where I have had success in the past. I was only able to connect with a jack and a few chum before heading down to the lower section of the river for a peek, which was not much better. Happy for the others who were able to find them. :) There will be more fresh fish coming into the system and hopefully the river level will drop slightly so they will be slowed down a bit.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »

I was out yesterday too, there weren't tons of fish moving but there were still a lot of fish to be had, the first light bite wasn't fantastic but with a lot of moving and a bit of work I was able to land 5 coho and a few fresh chum, was a pretty good day, I hope the river holds for tomorrow :)

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rybar

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »

Fishseeker, don't worry. If it makes you feel better, I was in the same boat (or parts of the river) as you yesterday. :'( With the river level slightly higher now, fish are pretty spread out and they are always on the move. You definitely have to work now to find them or go to crowded spots such as Tamahi where they are likely to stage. I spend the afternoon walking around a section of the Mid River with not a single soul around. The fall colours were awesome, the air was fresh, the lack of anglers was a bonus. Fish were on the move and I could see a mix of chum and coho salmon darting upstream in the run where I have had success in the past. I was only able to connect with a jack and a few chum before heading down to the lower section of the river for a peek, which was not much better. Happy for the others who were able to find them. :) There will be more fresh fish coming into the system and hopefully the river level will drop slightly so they will be slowed down a bit.

Rodney, we were out in the same areas today (Oct 18) and our reports pretty much mirror what you said here.

Joey

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 03:33:17 PM »

was out as well and was blown away by the amount of fish in the system. went home with my limit by 1030! Grin

Could you please tell me exactly where you stand ;D ,GPS co-ordinates would be much appreciates.Thank you.  :o ::)

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »

was out as well and was blown away by the amount of fish in the system. went home with my limit by 1030! Grin

Could you please tell me exactly where you stand ;D ,GPS co-ordinates would be much appreciates.Thank you.  :o ::)

Did you pluck them Bandit?

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »

Wow, lucky you.  I must be doing something wrong.