Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River, October 20th 2012  (Read 2759 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Chehalis River, October 20th 2012
« on: October 20, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »

After yesterday's early exit because of blown conditions, I decided to head back out to check some of the smaller river systems. These river can recover quicker than the Vedder.

The first venue that I got to was loaded with about 20 cars by 7am when I got there. I knew that it would be impossible to get a spot here so I decided to drive further east.

When I got there, I noticed that the river had recovered nicely- a bit high but colour is totally fishable.

The first hour produced nothing much but eventually people started to hook a few cohos here and there. All in all, not a bad 4 hour of fishing. We had hail, wind, sun and rain at times. I got into a few cohos and a wild one that probably weighted about 12lbs!!!!

Here are some of the pictures I managed to snap.

flyrabbit

Re: Chehalis River, October 20th 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »

nice pictures and good report!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »

Must have just missed you, parked down lower and fished and walked down, then all the way up to that run. Between the 4 of us we hooked some really fresh chum in the morning along with a coho or two for each of us. A number of fish showing but nothing too hot right now. Jigs and shrimp for the chum, roe and blades for the coho. Nice stream with not too many people in most spots, can't wait till it heats up in November. Saw that run when I got up there and just headed back downstream, too many people. Overall nice day, with some hail thrown in  ;D

Joey

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »

Yes,Chehalis has quite a few fish there,best walk in from the camp ground side and follow the main river though the bush.

yoda

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »

Haven't fished the chehalis for years. Not since someone diverted the river, which coincedently resulted in us catching net marked fish in the canyon.
Also the numbers went way down. And recently they have logged the mountainside up from the correction road. How brilliant was that?
As far as suicide goes, gong show mentality has erupted there as well.
It's too bad, those big football cohoes in the chehalis were a blast catching.
At least the memories  are good.
Hoping one day the squish run will come back, so can go up and enjoy the serenity in oct-nov

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:17:22 PM »

Haven't fished the chehalis for years. Not since someone diverted the river, which coincedently resulted in us catching net marked fish in the canyon.
Also the numbers went way down. And recently they have logged the mountainside up from the correction road. How brilliant was that?
Hoping one day the squish run will come back, so can go up and enjoy the serenity in oct-nov

I hear yah Yoda.  Add to that, some first nations netting and you have a system that is a shell of what it used to be. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:06:01 PM »

Nature diverted the flow.

whereismyfloat

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:34 PM »

Chris, you're letting the truth get in the way of great story.