Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, November 2nd 2012: The vedder is done....  (Read 2773 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Chilliwack River, November 2nd 2012: The vedder is done....
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:01:03 PM »

Perfect day out there today. Water was perfect. Limited out in an hour using spinners. Managed a 12 pound coho. Even caught a chum... :)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, November 2nd 2012: The vedder is done....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:11:31 PM »

Wow ! limited out . U and your buds must have been pretty happy with that batch . I'm jealous I couldn't play hooky today and limit out . :D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:59:34 PM »

That chum is fffffffresh!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:02:50 PM »

Sounds like you had a Great day and thanks for the report, beautiful coho. That Chum's perfect for Halloween.

mark

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:05:19 PM »

Water was perfect it was all mud water that i saw.  ???

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »

He never said he caught them on the Vedder.  ;)

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »

Lol. Was on the Vedder. I guarantee it. Actually near where you reported that snagger in that pool last year.  Remember I took your roe. ;)  The only misleading thing in that report is that dirty fish is probably a chinook, not a chum.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:51:02 PM »

Sorry for keep moving this topic around, I wasn't sure it should be treated as a report or not as we'd like to have the general location and date posted for each report.

Two of my local sources told me the water looked pretty good today, just a bit high. I went to the wrong river, again.

mark

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 12:41:35 AM »

Well Rod , what your sources say and what I saw, I guess if ya like to fish in muddy water then ya I guess it is fishable.  ::)  Well I will stay home tomorrow and keep working on my watershed mapping from my project I did this summer for Fisheries.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:49:20 AM by mark »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »

Lol. Was on the Vedder. I guarantee it. Actually near where you reported that snagger in that pool last year.  Remember I took your roe. ;)  The only misleading thing in that report is that dirty fish is probably a chinook, not a chum.

I know...I was simply attempting a diversion.  ;D
I had a pretty good day myself all things considered - but I was a magnet for wild fish today. Had 6 on, landed three, only one hatchery runt - the poor thing weighed in at barely 4 pounds. :-\

It's tough to find slack water for the fly with the river so high. Not to mention all the chum pushing the coho out.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 09:10:01 AM »

Sorry about that Rod. I'm new to posting. Will read the rules for next time ::). Water was definitely high, but it really was perfect for metal. Was thinking of going back today but I'm pretty sure with this new rain it will be a little chocolatee. 

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »

A little late to the post but what the hey !!!! A friend and myself were at the river's edge at 6:20 AM on Friday, a beautiful morning and the air dry and clear. We were fishing around the On The Way area and once the light started to wake up we started fishing our Xmas treats to our special fishy friends.

I was happy to notice that visibility was better than I expected, about 18" but the flow was a tad faster than I like and I proceeded to move around to try and find some slacker water. While I dilly and dallied my friend caught his first fish a wild coho that blinded me with its brightness, but none the less was safely released.

My turn next as the Chum decided I had the perfect breakfast food on my line. One, two and then three, fun, fast and all set free. My friend had cooled down since his coho adventure and he could'nt figure out why so he switched to a shrimp and within 3 casts he screams Fish Onnnnn !!!!!! Woohoooo, I scream and put my rod down to help him. This fish is definitely not a spring the way it was darting around and I said, "It could be a steeley."

My friend worked it in carefully only to have Mrs. I Want To Be Free scream his line out again and again. I was getting impatient because we still hadn't had a chance to totally identify it but one thing we knew, it was either a steeley or a coho and a big fat one at that. We were both smiling like kids on Christmas morning and awaiting to see what we would get. Then just like that she was gone. He just said, "She's gone." And I screamed, "Whaaat, Nooooo !!!!" So disheartening but thats fishing.

I decided to try my luck using some shrimp that I had brought and over the course of an hour I hadn't caught anything but I did get a couple of nice bites which kept me using it. My friend as well was still using shrimp but except for the occasional nibble no fish on. I finally switched back to my ole stand-by, cured spring roe and it wasn't long before my rod was bent and a smile was once again on my little face. It turned out to be another chum which I kept for the smoker and her lovely eggs.

Well to make a long story short or a short story shorter we fished till noon and caught between us about 7 or 8 chum, 2 wild coho, one each and my friend was the lucky winner catching the only hatchery coho, a nice buck about 6 lbs. A very enjoyable day with very few people out, we only saw 5 other fishermen all morning. But getting up at 4:30 AM does wear you out and by noon we were back in our vehicles and on our way home.  I wish everyone a Great weekend and remember to play safe out there.

Good Fishing All !!!  :) 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »

Apparently you all like to fish in mud according to Mark. ;)

Very nice all... I've often had success casting hardware in early November for coho there and was keen to get out there but thought the water would be too high. I doubt I will have another chance to do it this season.

mark

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »

Lol , I said muddy water not MUD in general.  ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »