Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, November 7th 2012  (Read 3298 times)

dmoney

Stave River, November 7th 2012
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »

Fished the east side for a bit before work. Very few fishermen around. Caught many chum but only had one coho. It had one fin too many and was released in the water. Very few fisherpeople out, and I saw no coho taken by the few other bank fishermen or the 5 anglers on two boats.

The gov't folks were on site and did three seine nets, there was one or two bright coho in each of the sets and dozens of very dark chum.

The chum are in very rough shape. The bucks are green and purple with black bellies. They'd be beautiful if they weren't so ugly. Zombie chum were in tight to shore, some livelier ones farther out. They took roe and blades redily so for convenience I switched to blades after I lost all hope of seeing a coho.

It was a long but peaceful walk to / from the car, and while I'd like to have hit a hatchery coho, you'll never catch me complaining about catching salmon in a beautiful setting.

D$

flyrabbit

Re: Stave River, November 7th 2012
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »

I made three out to Stave this year...no fresh chums were caught...Compared to last year, you can easily get 10+ fresh ones during one trip.

thanks for the post.

prairiefire

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »

I was out there on Monday. I fished the west side. Only chum caught no coho.
By looking at most peoples set-ups I would of thought there were Sockeye to be had.  ::)
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

FishingKing

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »

Thanks for the report.

jacked55

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 08:52:18 AM »

Me and three friends made it out yesterday for about 4 hours and I manage to get 2 nice doe chums, one was a beauty 10lber. Both were silver and the smaller one I got looked like it was right out of the ocean. Even had sea live on it! That is the nicest chum I ever caught at the Stave, guess they do exist.
Agree with poster though, no coho seen, very few fishermen out, but gorgeous weather. It was a terrific day to not be at work and fishing.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:52:15 AM »

The cohos are around but not in great numbers like the Vedder.  I've even seen this guy bottom bounce a spring, though it was smaller than the chums!

bluenoser

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »

Nice catch gents...Ive been skunked for coho on the Stave this year after getting 4 in a couple outings last year. I havent seen anyone catch any but Im usually fishing far enough away from the crowds that I wouldnt know if they did. Chum wise I've only kept 1, sea lice doesnt mean its a prime fish, caught them plenty of times with sea lice and they were well past their prime.

Ive caught them with sea lice and ugly round worms at the same time....the worms give me the creeps....if I see a worm it goes back even if its a hatchery coho...never seen one on a coho though.

BN

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:05:40 AM »

the coho are there you just have to find them. if your catching chums chances are the coho are no where around. they do not like hanging around with other salmon. i was there last weekend and the three of us all mange a hatchery coho with many other hook ups.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »

the coho are there you just have to find them. if your catching chums chances are the coho are no where around. they do not like hanging around with other salmon. i was there last weekend and the three of us all mange a hatchery coho with many other hook ups.
And you find the spot where the coho are holding, keep that info to yourself. The river is very crowded as is without drawing additional attention ;)

dmoney

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:26:09 AM »

Me and three friends made it out yesterday for about 4 hours and I manage to get 2 nice doe chums, one was a beauty 10lber. Both were silver and the smaller one I got looked like it was right out of the ocean. Even had sea live on it! That is the nicest chum I ever caught at the Stave, guess they do exist.
Agree with poster though, no coho seen, very few fishermen out, but gorgeous weather. It was a terrific day to not be at work and fishing.

Well done! East or west side?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 03:24:31 PM »

that info goes for any flow, not just stave. the best part was last time we had a football field of room to the three of us.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 04:29:08 PM »

Oh come on~ tell us the good coho spots~ LOL
This year was very good for Stave coho from what I saw, and they do sit in with the chum~
Last weekend was decent for us as the water blowing out from the dam put lots of fresher fish out of the main current....
today after a few days back to work I hit it again and only saw a few chum., no biters at all.
The water is still very high even at low tide down at the bridge, I wonder what impact the mega Dam flow during spawning season is having and will have for spawning chum when the eggs get left high and dry? and all the carcasses get washed away etc,

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »

they move through chum, very few will hold with them.

phatwop

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

Nice catch gents...Ive been skunked for coho on the Stave this year after getting 4 in a couple outings last year. I havent seen anyone catch any but Im usually fishing far enough away from the crowds that I wouldnt know if they did. Chum wise I've only kept 1, sea lice doesnt mean its a prime fish, caught them plenty of times with sea lice and they were well past their prime.

Ive caught them with sea lice and ugly round worms at the same time....the worms give me the creeps....if I see a worm it goes back even if its a hatchery coho...never seen one on a coho though.

BN

are these round worms in the flesh after you've gutted them or visible as you've brought the fish in?

bluenoser

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »

visible...squirming on the outside...yeeuck