Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats the weirdest thing you'v caught?  (Read 27156 times)

oscar

Re: Whats the weirdest thing you'v caught?
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 10:56:01 AM »

Got into a school of Humboldt Squid while fishing 22km off Kyouqet Sound with Murphy a few years back.... Had one 10 yds off the stern when a salmon shark bit it in half (large ink cloud in the water).Got into a half dozen over the coarse of about an hr. Just like the Discovery channel. :o

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »

Hooked a chinook through the eye of a swivel, an event that has been reported earlier by others so it is not unknown but it was a fish I had lost the previous day.   Lost it again but got my gear from the previous day back.

Several seagulls, murre, octopus and a thresher shark by the tail off Bamfield. Sand dollar.

A large sculpin with a purple transformer toy stuck in his gullet.

Cutty with a very large rock in his stomach.

Crab trap.

Caught a seagull that didn't go near the hook but touched a line being trolled shallow with a wing tip and put a hitch around its wing.  Nasty blighters to untangle, they bite.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:00:05 PM by VAGAbond »

Dr.spey

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »

The Clap   ;)

hookR

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2012, 02:49:33 AM »

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2012, 07:52:47 AM »

I hooked some fly line recently. Started pulling on it to get it out of the river. Up came a really nice fly rod and reel still attached.

Had a friend beside me hook a beaver years ago. That was one pissed off beaver.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2012, 08:02:53 AM »

I hooked some fly line recently. Started pulling on it to get it out of the river. Up came a really nice fly rod and reel still attached.

Had a friend beside me hook a beaver years ago. That was one pissed off beaver.

I told you good karma would catch up ;)  Hopefully a Sage One and Hardy Perfect ...

qescott

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »

A few weeks ago when I was fishing chum in the Squamish and lost my 8 ft t11 due to a shoddy knot. I put on a much shorter tip but it wasn't doing the trick; after about 15 minutes of fishing that I hooked into 10 ft of t11 with pre-tied knots  ::)

purpleperil

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2012, 10:26:11 PM »

Many years ago when I was guiding in Campbell river, we were shallow trolling (1 oz weights) with live herring on fly rods at Willow Point, when one of my guests caught 2, 5-6 lb coho on one rod at the same time. Both coho were landed. The first one to be netted had its jaw or gill plate tangled in the mainline about half way down the line and the second to be netted was hooked normally. I think they were the only fish we hooked in the hour or so we fished at Willow Point that day.

Ned

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »

One quick follow-up: I recently went to a familiar hole, cast and retrieved, and then felt a snag. cupcakes! But I managed to release it, reeled in, and then pulled up a full set-up (weight, leeder, lure) I'd lost 2 weeks prior. lol.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2012, 08:08:21 PM »

i broke a coho off on the lower vedder. an hour later i landed a beauty 12 pound doe with a blue fox in her lip and my old leader.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:14:57 PM by joska »
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »

last steelhead season I lost a rather large buck.... and the very next day my friend Pat caught the same buck.. took a pic of my worm  hanging out of its lip... and handed it back to me for another try.

i was speachless. The buck was a 16.4 lb hatch. chrome bullet.

the same day, on the same worm I caught a 7 lb doe hatch.. that was a memorable few days.
Tight lines to all

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2012, 01:41:01 AM »

How about this one, lost a willow leaf while trolling in a lake in about 30ft of water. 4 days later a family friend who drove up to stay with us caught the willow leaf :D Caught ducks and gulls before, never a fun thing. The river i fish quite a bit has a large population of muscrats and have caught one of them before. Caught a few rocks and articles of clothing, a bag of dog crap as well. This year I caught a few oysters as well, when they clamp down you are not getting your hook back, thats for sure :P
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:44:48 AM by Steely »
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2012, 02:52:44 AM »

Weirdest thing I have caught would probably be a bat while I was fishing some dry flies on a lake in the Rockies, but I also accedentaly snagged a old pink a few years back flyfishing for pinks and pikeminnow since i was bored oneday, but once I got it to the beach, it decided to give one more haul at freedom, but it was so rotten it ripped the tail section up to the adipose fin right off and it floated away missing 1/3 of its body leaving me with the other 1/3 on my fly...  I hate pinks.  Then other random things like 15foot tall full trees floating subsurface with root stems still all intact. Rocks, a stop sign, and far too many plastic election signs.

Bandit420

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »

Caught a dungeness crab on my spin rod fishing for flounder. Also landed a nice wooden pallet fishing for sturgeon :D
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

elroyperch

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2012, 12:22:16 PM »

a frog,a turtle,a clam,an old fishing rod,a line that was broke off and it still had pike on it,and i pulled some of that green wire garden fence out of the water and it had a huge carp stuck on it,carp managed to get its gill stuck on the wire!