Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 29th 2012  (Read 2476 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, December 29th 2012
« on: December 29, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »

Both Khin and I decided to hit the river a bit later than usual. We got there around 8:30am.

I was making my cast and walk towards the tailend when the 2 guys down below me hooked into a fish. I can see splashes and the occassional jumps.
Within 5 minutes, he landed what looked like a 10lber. They fished for another 10 minutes and decided to leave. As they walked by, the guy said, " we left the doe for you ".

I fished close in and very quickly I was into a nice fish. I quickly landed a nice 12lb hatchery but it was still too early to stop so I quickly let it go.

I continued to fish up and down that run and finally was able to entice another fish to bite.

Quickly snapped a picture and let it go.

In the meantime, I saw fish being caught below the run  I was fishing and I heard of many more caught too.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: Chilliwack River, December 29th 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »

Nice job! I was out as well today with a buddy hopin for my second steel of the year. We started at first light at mid river and I hooked up on my 5th cast. This fish was quite large and took off like a rocket :o It just kept peeling line and the spot I was in I couldn't follow it so I applied pressure to try to stop the fish from running, unfortunatly that caused my leader to snap :'( judging by the jumps it made I would say it was 15-16 pounds. Our next spot my buddies float dips and he is into a scrappy wild buck about 8 pounds or so. His first steelhead ever :) we tried three times to ease it in for me to tail it but it had other ideas. Finally I got ahold of his tail but he kicked and the hook popped out, I felt really bad :-[ Our last spot my float dipped one more time in the tail out of a big pool and I was into a fish. This one came in easy and I found out why, it was a bull trout of about 3 pounds or so :) this one I landed and released before calling it a day, all fish were caught on roe bags. Good luck to those heading out this week!
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

matthawkins

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »

Awesome guys. Sounds like its really picking up. Thanks for sharing.
Been out once so far this year for steel and nothing. Hoping to land my first ever steel this season. Only my second season out, so we'll see what happens.
Cheers.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »

Yes definitely a big Thank You to those posting reports, I'm licking my chops right now and aching to get out there. Trouble is finding the time to do it, lol. Best of luck to those that can make it, sounds like its heating up nicely !!!!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:17:53 AM »

Awesome guys. Sounds like its really picking up. Thanks for sharing.
Been out once so far this year for steel and nothing. Hoping to land my first ever steel this season. Only my second season out, so we'll see what happens.
Cheers.
took me a few seasons to even hook one. Hope you get yours sooner!
[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »

took me a few seasons to even hook one. Hope you get yours sooner!
A fellow yesterday when I was out got a nice fish, his first steelhead ever. He was also on his first trip out for the season. He was fishing a run another angler I know had just fished a few minutes earlier. :o Was hooked while we were chatting beside the run. I had fished it an hour earlier as well. He took it on a rubber worm.

The down part was, he started fishing again after retaining the steelhead hen so I updated him on the regulations. I also told him he must mark his license right after retaining a steelhead. ::)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »

I was also able to connect into a beauty fish on Friday. Hit hard and fought hard. Took at least 15 min to land because I also had no room to chase and was only using 8lb floro. Funny had another nice tug later in the day and also turned out to be small dolly. Their probably feeding hard right now.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 11:50:40 PM »

A fellow yesterday when I was out got a nice fish, his first steelhead ever. He was also on his first trip out for the season. He was fishing a run another angler I know had just fished a few minutes earlier. :o Was hooked while we were chatting beside the run. I had fished it an hour earlier as well. He took it on a rubber worm.

The down part was, he started fishing again after retaining the steelhead hen so I updated him on the regulations. I also told him he must mark his license right after retaining a steelhead. ::)
He must of been very good this year :P
[

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 02:25:01 AM »

Deja vu... reminds me of another thread...  ::)