Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What makes a Rod more money?  (Read 13586 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
What makes a Rod more money?
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »

Why are some Rods priced so high compared to others? What makes them superior, and is it really worth the extra bucks?
The Bigger The Better!

Nucks

Re: What makes a Rod more money?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:28:10 PM »

Action, feel, weight, composition, quality of the components (reel seat, eyes), appearance, warranty, reputation, and brand.

In my opinion, yes, it does make a difference and I will pay for quality rods.

If you don't have the money for something like a Sage, you can easily find a cheaper rod that you will be happy with. Lots of good products out there without breaking the bank.

Added- you can always find good prices in the classified section here or on other forums.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:30:04 PM by Nucks »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »

Go take a tour of the Sage Factory and you will see why.  The care and attention to detail that they put into every single rod is the difference.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »

Why are some Rods priced so high compared to others? What makes them superior, and is it really worth the extra bucks?

Yes, if you want a sage rods, then you have to pay for the extra bucks but it doesn't mean you can hook more fish.  I think you hooked way
more fish then some sage owners. Haha

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 11:30:24 PM »

Makes the fight and the enjoyment fishing them much more fun IMO.

Go to the shop one day and grab a bunch of rods with the same weight, action, length and ounce rating...
You can feel a huge difference in the action and overall feel between expensive and cheap rods.
I find more expensive rods have a way better feel right down to the butt section (better action throughout).

I'm a big fan of shimano though. Nice rods for a great price.
The Lami that you got will be a sweet rod though, wait till you hit a fish on it!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:41:29 PM »

Gear doesn't catch fish.

Probably the only thing worth is the warranty.
Most expensive rods have a lifetime warranty.

aaron.az

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:41:28 AM »

Hey, any of you guys have any good experience with using G loomis rods. got a ST1444 couple days ago. 8-17lbs, 12'6 trigger rod.

tim3500

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:55:41 AM »

Ya love my loomis GL3  1445  its a power house more of a thompson or fraser rod  but its as light as my Sage 1331 lb both have there merrits wouldnt sell either well thats not totally true

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 01:09:25 AM »

Ya love my loomis GL3  1445  its a power house more of a thompson or fraser rod  but its as light as my Sage 1331 lb both have there merrits wouldnt sell either well thats not totally true

Never heard of a Sage 1331 lb.  Is it something new ?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »

1 power 33 feet 1 inch long and a light blank rod?

NOW THAT'S A NOODLE ROD!!!!!!!!!!

:P
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

hotrod

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 07:56:08 AM »

never heard of the 1331! Was wondering if it is a typo error and you meant to say 3113 as it is a very noodle rod with good power but a little too soft tipped for big rivers.
Have been a hardcore sage guy for quite a few years and find that its performance in terms of accurate casting, durability, and bend ability have made being on the river way more fun. Well worth the extra $$ if you can do it. I used to love the shimano convergence line up. Also great rods for the buck!

hotrod

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 09:17:14 AM »

Name,warranty,quality.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »

As mentioned, with a better rod the action, feel, and weight is usually a lot nicer than a comparable rod of lesser value. That specific action you are looking for that just clicks for you is a lot harder to find in a cheaper rod that has not had the r&d, suggestions from customer and pro staff, tweaks etc that a more expensive rod may have into it. This elusive "perfect action" especially comes into play with fly rods as the action plays a bigger part in your casting, and everyone has a different casting style.

The components are better, the cork is nicer and there is more attention to detail in the build. A lot of times there is more fishing than catching going on, so sometimes it is just nice to have something in your hand that feels and looks superior that puts a smile on your face.

Most higher prices rods are built from scratch in the US or at the very minimum the blanks are rolled else where and assembled in the US. That alone raises the price a lot from having everything done in Asia.

A really good warranty is a also big factor of the increased cost too. While a lot of cheaper rods do come with a good warranty, it will be for a year or two not lifetime, or once the rod is discontinued you are out of luck. Sage for example has a lifetime warranty, and because they roll their own blanks in house, even if you break a rod that is ten years old and discontinued 5 years ago, they will still build you a new one from scratch.

All that said, will a more expensive rod catch you more fish? No. Will a more expensive rod be more pleasurable to look at and feel and translate to a more enjoyable experience on the water? Yes. It is up to you to decide if the price difference is worth it. Also, the most expensive rod is not necessarly the best rod either.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »

Gear doesn't catch fish.

Probably the only thing worth is the warranty.
Most expensive rods have a lifetime warranty.

Have to absolutely disagree.

To a large degree, you get what you pay for.  Yes, an angler can potentially hook a fish on a cheap Cdn Tire rod as easily as an expensive Sage stick. And I agree you might only get a slight improvement in casting an expensive gear rod over a cheap piece of crap from WalMart. (the difference is somewhat more noticeable on fly rods though, IMO).

BUT.

How much time do you want to spend worrying about that eye that just came loose on your cheap rod?  What are you going to do when you're battling a steelhead and the reel seat comes loose on your Walmart special?  How annoying is it going to be when the cork on the handle of your inexpensive rod keeps breaking off?

I've experienced all of the above (or something similar) using cheap rods over the years.  I now invest in better tackle as I believe it creates a better and more enjoyable fishing experience.  Do I catch more fish with better gear?  I believe so - but not because I'm casting better or because the fish can tell, instead it's because I spend less time fixing things or dealing with issues related to cheap gear.

Also, for what it's worth I believe that there is a huge difference between a cheap and a moderately priced rod, but once you get beyond a moderate priced stick then the increased quality / benefit becomes smaller and smaller.  Kind of like this (but replace "yield" with "quality" and replace "maturity" with "cost"):

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 10:10:36 AM »

Basically, you get what you paid for.
Try it and you will find out.