Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 30th 2012 - January 1st 2013  (Read 4434 times)

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
Chilliwack River, December 30th 2012 - January 1st 2013
« on: January 01, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »

I decided to spend New years eve and day differently this year.  I booked at the Vedder River Inn to do some epic steel fishing.  Dec 30th I fished with roe sacs and jigs all day and at about 3:45 pm i had my sacs stripped from me twice and it never came back for some more.  I went through my bait kit and decided no matter how much I hated the pink worm and the fact that I have never caught a fish on it. Some avid steel head anglers swear by it.  I decided to rig it up with my jig head.  3rd cast ... and Waccccckkk!! The thing took off like a train!!!! Tried chasing her but she snapped off my main line.. Tooted her horns and waived her tail good bye.. I'm wondering to my self..I never snap fish off but.... Hey sh*t happens.... So i rig up the pink wormy again and I check my lines to make sure I'm all good to go... Realizing as I cast that I for got to change my main line before steelie season this year...:(.. And if you were guessing if my float went down again... It did!! Head shakes and this one also took off like a train and  completely launches out of the water so I could tell it was a smaller doe somewhere around there 9-10 lbs... Had her on for a good while and thought to myself I'm landing this fish.  SNAPPPPPP!! Gaddamn! It happened again!  Regardless of the two losses I'm glad I'm able to read water better and get on fish more often!

The following morning which was New Years Eve.  The first thing I did was go to Fred's and get New main line as well as new backing. At first light I hooked on to a steelie on the retrieval for about 5 seconds using roe sacs. Thinking to myself at least the line didn't snap this time.  At this point I've lost 3 in 2 days. Not bad for finding fish, but now i just needed to land them. 

Called it an early night to rest up so I could have an amazing New Years Day on the river.  My plan was to fish 2 of the same runs I've been fishing but at the same time fish 2 new runs that I hadn't touched the last 2 days.  I even ended up doing some exploring and hiked about 25 mins and found some beautiful water. No fish there though.  I finally found another nice piece of water as worked my way down river. It was the most perfect run to land a fish.  4th cast in the float dips! I set the hook and I'm thinking Nooooo way! Head shakes and I'm on! I figured I've had some practice the last couple days and am ready and warmed up for this New Years Day fish.  It was a pretty decent size in around the 10lb mark. At this point I've had her on for awhile and she's being pretty cooperative.  I see the chrome slab only about 5 feet from me and I'm getting ready to land her.  But, she wasn't done yet.  It had one last move left on me..  "Death Roll"........ Heartbroken... gone....

All I gotta say is that It was a beautiful few days and some AWESOME fishing and lessons. Happy with the start of my 2013. To the pink wormiessss.. I AM A BELIEVER!

Here are some cool shots though. Enjoy.

I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, December 30th 2012 - January 1st 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »

Great photos, especially Liumchen Mountain.  Love that run ;)

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »

those are fantastic photos and i did the same thing but i slept in my new 5th wheel i got for christmas lol it was pretty emptey with one person

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »

Very nice report and pictures, except for your loses of course. I am sure the next one you hook will be yours.

Was good to meet you a few days ago too.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:42:59 PM »

Very nice report and pictures, except for your loses of course. I am sure the next one you hook will be yours.

Was good to meet you a few days ago too.

Thanks Chris.  I am finally taking Steel heading very seriously.  I did my research and learned that it was my rod.  Light and slow action.  No recovery time for the head shakes and train like take offs.

I just picked up a G-loomis GL2 11'4 fast action med-heavy.  Really excited to head out and use that.  

Happy New Years Chris,
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:28:59 PM by Steal_Mo_Head »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »

Hey Steal, Met you yesterday at the end of the day. Your convincing story got me to try the worm and the jig head today. I had my first take down of the year....  only got a couple head shakes though.

The fish probably grabbed the wrong end of the worm......
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 10:57:40 PM »

Thanks Chris.  I am finally taking Steel heading very seriously.  I did my research and learned that it was my rod.  Light and slow action.  Now recovery time for the head shakes and train like take offs.

I just picked up a G-loomis GL2 11'4 fast action med-heavy.  Really excited to head out and use that. 

Happy New Years Chris,

What rod did you have before?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »

Thanks for the great report and nice pics!
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:25:30 PM »

Hey Steal, Met you yesterday at the end of the day. Your convincing story got me to try the worm and the jig head today. I had my first take down of the year....  only got a couple head shakes though.

The fish probably grabbed the wrong end of the worm......

I met two guys at the end of my day.  Were you on the walk way at peach or the gentleman on the river as I was working down wards? Either or it was a pleasure to have met you.

I headed out again today and hooked on another 8 lb hatch doe.  First fish on my new GL2.  Got it to the bank..and she pop off.. That was just pure bad luck though.  The funny thing was there was another guy using the pink worm ahead of me, but he just rigged up with a gammy hook.  I'm seriously loving the worm with the jig head.  Got into a trout as well with the worm.

**Johnny Canuck*** Honestly I went to Army and Navy 3 years ago as I got my first Pin.  He suggested this trophy xl for like 80 bucks.  It was great for salmon fishing but steel head is a another story.  I'm really learning more and more about gear and how it all works.  been using the Islander Steel header for 3 years now.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:34:04 PM by Steal_Mo_Head »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »

I was the "gentleman" you worked your way down to....   ;D ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »

I was the "gentleman" you worked your way down to....   ;D ;D

Hopefully we'll bump into each other again and you can tell me how those worms are slayin you some mad steel! :)  Nice to meet you.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »

Hopefully we'll bump into each other again and you can tell me how those worms are slayin you some mad steel! :)  Nice to meet you.

good report - curious what camera/lens you use?

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »

bluenoser

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 01:24:14 PM »

That second picture is an absolute beauty....congrats on the success you've been having with hook ups.

BN