Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 12th 2013  (Read 1155 times)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Chilliwack River, January 12th 2013
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:34:40 PM »

Hit the river at first light an started in the upper reaches, only to find the water fairly clear. Half an hour or so of trying an no luck so we headed down river. Got to a spot where I hadn't fished yet this season and my buddy and I headed for a big run which was oddly vacant. 10 casts or so later my roe bag got inhaled and the fight was on... for about 10 seconds. The dreaded slack was felt after a short run and a few head shakes. Next it was my buddies turn, he yelled fish on has his reel peeled off line, this steelhead took a couple of wild leaps before shaking the hook. It looked to be a good size :P I then made my way to the tail out and threw my fresh roe bag into the some what coloured water(2 feet of visablity or so) and halfway through my drift the float slowly sunk and I set the hook into another steely. This one came in rather easy, a wild buck around 8 pounds or so ;D I gently slipped the hook out and off she went, no worse for ware. We fished the rest of the run but found nothing so I switched up to a jig, it did the trick as I was into another, this one went nuts, running everywhere before resting at my feet, another wild around 10 pounds this time. It got the same treatment as the last fish and was sent on her way. We fished for another couple hours before calling it a day. It was a very nice yet cold day to be out! In the area we were fishing there was a total of 6 fish caught between the 6 of us working the area. Good luck to those heading out tmrw :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 12th 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:11:33 PM »

Managed to hook into one too but lost it after about 5 minutes later.

Rod tip kept freezing up and the wind came around 9am and it got tough to fish.