Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Brood Capture On The Chilliwack Vedder River Off To A Good Start.  (Read 10220 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Steelhead brood capture got off to a good start today.  It was the first day that the 70 to 80 fish will be taken for the 2013 brood stock.

Chilliwack River Hatchery staff were busy as when they picked up the small buck from me at 2 o'clock it was number 7 for the day. From all reports fish were taken all the way through the system.

I will get some pictures up on the Fraser Valley Salmon Societies FB page later or Rod will put them up here he wishes.

Thanks to all the volunteers that are carrying the tubes this year.

typhoon

• Old Timer

Excellent news!

islanddude

Chris. Are you required to have a special permit issued by the province to catch steelhead brood on the Chilliwack system?

steely02

• Quinn

I would love to contribute. Where do I go to get a tube?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Yes all people that have tubes are issued a permit before the program starts.

Thanks steely02 for your interest but all permits are now issued for 2013.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!

So obviously if you need a permit, you guys go for Wild Fish. Is that to say though, that  only Wild Fish are used for the brood program? Are hatchery fish not "reused" or would that mess with the genetics of the stock?

/learning
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

So obviously if you need a permit, you guys go for Wild Fish. Is that to say though, that  only Wild Fish are used for the brood program? Are hatchery fish not "reused" or would that mess with the genetics of the stock?

/learning
Wild stock are used on the Chilliwack Vedder River.

steely02

• Quinn

Ok thanks Chris, how would I get a permit for next year then?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Ok thanks Chris, how would I get a permit for next year then?
Abbotsford Hatchery issues them.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer

Abbotsford Hatchery issues them.

Which is the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery. It's not very likely that they will be issuing any new permits for brood capture on the Chilliwack system as they already have quite a few brood anglers for that system. I have done brood work on other systems in the past and figured I would ask about the Chilliwack system as I fish there as well and figured I would bring the tube while I'm there. However was told that they have enough anglers to easily meet there set quota each season.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Heard of only one wild doe tubed today in my neck of the woods anyway, by 11 AM. Nothing for me, only 850 more casts to go for the next one. ::)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome

Add another one to that Chris as I gave my wild doe to a brood guy today. Always a nice feeling to be able to contribute ;D
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Add another one to that Chris as I gave my wild doe to a brood guy today. Always a nice feeling to be able to contribute ;D
Well done and thanks. ;D

Brian the fisherman

I head that a 20+ lb fish was captured for brood, am I right or was that just a fisherman eye scale.
Tight lines to all

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

I head that a 20+ lb fish was captured for brood, am I right or was that just a fisherman eye scale.

I talked to a fellow that captured a 19 lb wild buck on the first day. It's natural that it would have grown to 20+....

Either way, should be a nice addition to the gene pool.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[