Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tackle Preferences  (Read 7780 times)

buzzbomb

Tackle Preferences
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »

I've noticed that many on here are using CP reels and baitcasters for steelheading, and I know what a steelhead spinning rod looks like, (most I've seen are around 10'6" or 11ft in med light action with lots of guides).  Why wouldn't I be able to use some of my carp gear for that?  A 12' rod in 2.25 test curve should be whippy enough and if big baitrunners are too heavy and the 300 yds+ of line not needed I have a DAM medium sized one that balances better.  Anyone forsee any pitfalls, (aside from needing a long net handle)?
5% Alc./Vol.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Tackle Preferences
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »

It is possible to use carp gear and spinning rods for steelhead. Just as you could run a marathon in hiking boots. It's possible but a hell of a lot more difficult.
Save yourself a lot of grief and get a bait caster or CP setup.
There is something to be said about local knowledge.
When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Carp rods are very sensitive and you can't set the hook properly. Spinning reels won't give you a good and long drift as the baitcasting reel will. Some guys in the Washington and Oregon use spinning reels but their drifts are fairly short. Probably more because of tradition then effective use. You have to use both hands all the time with spinning reels.
ETC...It's a pain.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »

It is possible to use carp gear and spinning rods for steelhead. Just as you could run a marathon in hiking boots. It's possible but a hell of a lot more difficult.
Save yourself a lot of grief and get a bait caster or CP setup.
There is something to be said about local knowledge.
When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Carp rods are very sensitive and you can't set the hook properly. Spinning reels won't give you a good and long drift as the baitcasting reel will. Some guys in the Washington and Oregon use spinning reels but their drifts are fairly short. Probably more because of tradition then effective use. You have to use both hands all the time with spinning reels.
ETC...It's a pain.

What he said.
Plus, if you use spinning reels (AKA as coffee grinders) to float fish, you will inevitably get the "beeko - be gone" look!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »

Plus, if you use spinning reels (AKA as coffee grinders) to float fish, you will inevitably get the "beeko - be gone" look!

Walk down to the vedder with a 9' spinning rod and a spinning reel into any run you want.
You get called all sorts of names, get lots of looks and every one will leave.

After they leave, throw your spoon in and see what happens lol.
I was actually enjoying being viewed as a beek last year, it had all kinds of benefits  ;D

Anyone forsee any pitfalls, (aside from needing a long net handle)?

I don't have any experience with carp rods, but from what you're describing I can't see any problems.
I run light noodly rods for steelhead and tend to do fairly well.
Lots of guys I know run spey or fly rod blanks for pin rods as well, which are quite noodly.
I really like the action and fight on a lighter rod, and they are great for tossing metal.

The only thing you might run into (which I'v run into a lot this year) is loosing a lot of fish due to poor hook sets (at least that's what I'm blaming it on!)  :P

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »

I've seen more guys with centre pins act like a beek than anyone. Especially if you catch a Steelhead on spinning gear by them. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »

--like any specialty equipement... good carp gear would work... that is a spin reel with freespool that would allow you to drift a float no problem.
--it seems many of the experts give advice based on the common thinking that everyone that has a spin reel has a cheap one.

colin6101

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 05:05:59 PM »

I used a spinning reel for a while when I just started salmon fishing on the Vedder. It is definitely doable but it is difficult to get decent drifts for sure. I think you are better off fishing spoons through the pools and such with a spinning reel which can definitely be an effective way to fish.

ByteMe

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »

as long as the color of your rod and reel match along with your Simms Jacket,no one will notice,you will blend right in 8)
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »

as long as the color of your rod and reel match along with your Simms Jacket,no one will notice,you will blend right in 8)

LOL

buzzbomb

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 09:54:24 AM »

ETC...It's a pain.
I can see the length being a problem re:hookset, if I had a 1.75 tc 11' that would be closer to a commercial steelhead rod but 2.25 is the lightest I have right now.  By 'long drift' I assume you mean the distance your bait and float travel.  As I said I have baitrunners that would allow me to freespool for over 300 yards and still have line left to fight a fish, but I doubt that capacity is needed on rivers.   The advantage I've found for carp gear on lakes is primarily being to cast out 100 yds to access features I'd normally need the boat for.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:57:44 AM by buzzbomb »
5% Alc./Vol.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 03:47:33 PM »

I can see the length being a problem re:hookset, if I had a 1.75 tc 11' that would be closer to a commercial steelhead rod but 2.25 is the lightest I have right now.  By 'long drift' I assume you mean the distance your bait and float travel.  As I said I have baitrunners that would allow me to freespool for over 300 yards and still have line left to fight a fish, but I doubt that capacity is needed on rivers.   The advantage I've found for carp gear on lakes is primarily being to cast out 100 yds to access features I'd normally need the boat for.

Yes length of drift is the length your float travels from the time you cast it in to the time you have too much line out and start losing control and have to reel it in.
Baitrunner is designed to help you once you've got the fish. All it is, is a more sophisticated drag system.
The problem with spinning reels and drift fishing is that there is no good way to release just enough line of the spool by the float's motion downstream.
You have to open the bale which means you can't set the hook in case of a bite. You have to either palm the spool or start reeling or manually engage the bale by the other hand.
Like I said, it's all possible but it's a lot more difficult.
Just go out to the river and ask someone with a casting reel to let you try the reel and you will immediately understand the difference.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 08:16:33 PM »

............or you can turn off the anti-reverse and back-reel......set hook with bail already closed.....switch anti reverse back on while fighting fish.....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

buzzbomb

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »

Quote from: adriaticum link=topic=32585.msg310817#msg310817 date=1364683653
Baitrunner is designed to help you once you've got the fish. All it is, is a more sophisticated drag system. [Quote
I'd be more likely to adopt a float rod and reel than a baitcaster just from personal preference.  The difficulty getting a quick hookset with a 12' rod is no doubt why almost all float rods are shorter, but the action of an average steelhead rod is still quite a bit lighter than 2.25 tc.... I have 2.75 and 3 lb test curve rods with more backbone but wouldn't want to sacrifice sensitivity for hookset speed.  That's more my concern than the reel.  We use baitrunners to floatfish for other species as well as deadbaiting, (and fly gear with floats for that matter) so I believe that sometimes a crossover is possible.  When a baitrunner is in use, the spool turns freely allowing a fish to run with the bait, or a float and the bait beneath it to be carried by the current.  The bail is always closed, and the tension required for line to come off is full adjustable to suit conditions (the Shimmys I got from England are remarkably sensitive).  The better quality of reel, the better both drag systems are.   To lock the spool up to your pre-set drag you either flip the switch on top of the reel or turn the handle.  Once you have the fish on, you don't use the baitrunner function.  I think they were designed for live bait sea fishing so the bait could swim freely.  If you want to set the hook you have to use your free hand to hit that switch or crank the handle - if you have to do it one-handed as soon as the float starts to go down then they aren't suitable, because that takes a second either way.
5% Alc./Vol.

buzzbomb

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 08:22:17 PM »

What type of line do you use for CP float fishing?  I put an offer in on a J Ryall centerpin with an 8wt flyline on it but I've had a notion you use mono too.  My old biker friend who's running out of time gave me the 9' 8wt fibreglass steelhead rod he had custom made in Kamloops in 1965; I think he said he paid $90 for it back then.  I might try some of my 12' and 13' rods too but that one will be special because it's Rocket's even if it doesn't have a shred of graphite or carbon in it.
5% Alc./Vol.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »

You're talking apples and oranges here. Sounds like you've got yourself a fly rod and reel.
A centerpin reel has no drag system whereas a fly reel does.
It is impossible to fish a fly reel like a centerpin as there is no release.
If your rod says a number followed by "wt." eg. 8wt. It's a fly rod. A fly rod could be used as a pin rod if you REALLY wanted to, but sounds like the stick has some sentimental value to it.
It's the guides which are the problem on the fly rod for pin fishing with mono.
Edit: most guys use 12-15# mono for mainline on pins. If you're just starting I'd recommend 15 max 20#. The stiffer line pays out a little easier.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:38:59 PM by Noahs Arc »