Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trip research.  (Read 8804 times)

hungry6

Re: Trip research.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »

Thanks for the much appreciated advice guys. From the advice above and working with our calendar it sound like a mid August early Sept. trip, heading to Vancouver and surround area.
We will be hiring a car or 4x4 to do road trip to a few locations around Vancouver or the Island and further north.
I have done the guided fishing thing in the past and a lot of it is just plain greedy when they find out you're from half way around the world and you burn up precious time to catch the local pet fish. So that won't be happening, I have found local fishing knowledge is hands down unrival in many way, It's never about anything else but the a common interest of fishing.
I would love to do a October trip , but that won't be happening anytime soon. I pretty much have the middle 2 weeks of Oct booked out for the rest of my life fishing Fraser Island (Australia) for Gt and Spanish mackerel.
Ok, I better go away and do more reading and look at availability of area and accom for the area.

Thanks
wayne

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 01:03:41 PM »

Well, if you're out here in September I would focus my efforts on the West Side of Vancouver Island.
You may also want to target some areas in the mainland for char/trout and summer steelhead.

My main question is what do you plan to target - what are you goals for fish?

What are you here for? Are you here to kill fish (sockeye), or are you here to catch and release a bunch of fish and enjoy the amazing scenery AND fishing that B.C. has to offer?

Once you answer these questions, feel free to shoot me an email. I have a whole bunch of island places dialled in and have no problems helping people out if they are ethical and not only looking to kill things, and willing to put some work in (I may give you a river to try out - maybe a section, but after that it's your turn). I can also help with some mainland spots as well.

Good luck on your search,
Cheers,
Dan

hungry6

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »

Well, if you're out here in September I would focus my efforts on the West Side of Vancouver Island.
You may also want to target some areas in the mainland for char/trout and summer steelhead.

My main question is what do you plan to target - what are you goals for fish?

What are you here for? Are you here to kill fish (sockeye), or are you here to catch and release a bunch of fish and enjoy the amazing scenery AND fishing that B.C. has to offer?

Once you answer these questions, feel free to shoot me an email. I have a whole bunch of island places dialled in and have no problems helping people out if they are ethical and not only looking to kill things, and willing to put some work in (I may give you a river to try out - maybe a section, but after that it's your turn). I can also help with some mainland spots as well.

Good luck on your search,
Cheers,
Dan

I'm actually there to find out and put together a feasibility study on the viability of a Coho and Steelhead cannery industry. LOL
On a serious note, I don't think spending around U$20 000 on a trip is about killing and storage. Also I don't think QANTAS would be very happy if I carried on 25kgs of salmon fillets as carry on and check in baggage is currently $25/kg, the maths doesn't simply add up if that was the agenda.
And the very reason why intercontinental anglers travel light.
I'm still organising a time slot of around 20-25 days for BC and surround, currently just getting a feel of which month to lock in, as your fishery is return dependant, which makes it hard.
Rodney and a few members have pointed out a few important facts for me to keep an eye out for and all inputs are welcome of course.
I'm not chasing any particular salmon species at all just wetting a line, if I happen to run into them, well that's good. Also and more importantly creating a network of friend from all part of the world and learning about the way the fish and do things.
My GF want to nail a halibut and hopefully that will happen with the help of members from here, putting us into contact with a reliable local charter, and the same would be done if anyone from here want to visit this part of Australia, I would do the same, I even take you out on my boat for a couple of days chasing Yellow tail king, cobia and wahoo.
Anyway, we will cross that bridge when it comes.

Thanks
Wayne
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:57:32 PM by hungry6 »

CoastRider

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »

If youre looking more into the ocean fishing, august/september is your best bet, Either west coast of Vancouver Island or near the Fraser River. Depending on whether you want to go to a lodge, or just get guided, would determine where you would want to go. (just guided- around fraser river or Port alberni area of the island.... Lodge- Maybe somewhere like Kyuquot Sound(here you can find salmon, halibut and tuna)

If you are hoping to fish the rivers, then you would likely want to come in September/October... Once again cost and how you want to fish (out of a boat or from shore) would determine where you would be focusing your time.

There are Hundreds if not thousands of options that you could go with. Chances are, if you are here for a few weeks, you will have a good time regardless of what you decide.

Basically narrow down your search a little and it will become easier to nail down a plan.
BC just has such a wide variety of options that it is hard to tell you to go to a certain place!

Cheers

TNAngler

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 08:43:26 AM »

Given the timeframe you are looking to come, I would suggest maybe the last two weeks in August and first week in September.  Next year should be a great year for sockeye so all of August should be good but the first week or two could still be kinda slow.

Hope you have a great time and catch lots of fish.

MoeJKU

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »

Skeena area and tribs is the only place i would tell you to go for salmon. August is a good month usually up there. Get a guide however it is an intimidating system for the first time, especially if you have no salmon experience.  You will have more success as well.

Skeena country to me is true western canada fishing.

Animal Chin

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 10:30:07 AM »

Skeena area and tribs is the only place i would tell you to go for salmon. August is a good month usually up there. Get a guide however it is an intimidating system for the first time, especially if you have no salmon experience.  You will have more success as well.

Skeena country to me is true western canada fishing.

X2 and also on the recommendation on hiring a guide. Plan ahead because they book up. You want to fly into Terrace, BC. You may even see a grizzly bear. I did, and it gave us the stare down. If you want giant chinook, that's the place to go.

I've never caught a sockeye and only landed one chinook, so take this with a grain of salt, but personally I find coho, chum and steelhead to be the most fun to catch...well ok any fish is good.. and don't give us that bit about "just being out ..is just super". 

If you want to make a vacation of it and on a budget, I'd say the island or Lower Mainland is good, but aim for late September and cross your fingers. For great river fishing gear and advice I'd go to SeaRun Fly and Tackle.

..but Skeena would be ideal for "fishing".

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:47:09 AM by Animal Chin »

hungry6

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 02:37:50 AM »

Ok, thanks for all the tips guys.
Currently I'm swayed toward the last 2 weeks of August and first week of Sept. as TNangler suggested.
Hopefully we can organise to hit Vancouver Island first, the work our way up stream from there.
When it get closer and any members available, I will see, anyone want to show us around the area, maybe even joining up for a fish.

Thanks again

Wayne

Suther

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 03:19:38 AM »

Ok, thanks for all the tips guys.
Currently I'm swayed toward the last 2 weeks of August and first week of Sept. as TNangler suggested.
Hopefully we can organise to hit Vancouver Island first, the work our way up stream from there.
When it get closer and any members available, I will see, anyone want to show us around the area, maybe even joining up for a fish.

Thanks again

Wayne

The last two weeks of August are my prime fishing time - exams have ended at school, and I dont have anything to do until the first Tuesday of September.

I usually go camping into the Interior with my family for a few days during this time, but that is the perfect time to catch some trout in the lakes in the interior. Last summer my step-mom caught a beautiful Rainbow trout out of Nicola Lake. Certainly not a big fish - only about a pound - but if you like to eat what you catch its delicious!

Shuswap Lake is another lake you must consider, Especially if you want to rent a house-boat.

Long story short, keep researching, there is a million things to do here in B.C.
When you know what you wanna do, ask around here and we will direct you in the right places.

As for your comment about accommodations, there are lots and lots of hotels around, so that isn't an issue. There are tonnes of hotels all over the place. If you prefer to rent a condo for a few weeks, that would involve some heads-up planning, which in the long run might be worth your while. Long story short, plan out what you want to do ahead of time, and book accommodations to fit that.

If you are here August-to-Sept next year, definitely drop me a line and we will go fishing. If you meet the right people and are willing to embrace the public transit systems and greyhound, you can cover half the province in two weeks, from Vancouver Island to the Okanagan to the Kootnays.

hungry6

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 01:01:28 AM »

Ok guys, I have now booked flights and looking around for accom, charters local fishos to hook up and go for fish anywhere around BC.
We will be there from 23-08-14 till 16-09-14 in between we will have to visit my GF relos over in Boston, but it's mainly fishing in all between.
We will be driving a rental from Seattle up, may get a 4wd for the ease of accessing tracks and so on.
If anyone think what I'm trying to organise shouldn't be done, please say so, I don't want to be looking at the end of a gun barrel or coming back to a burnt out vehicle.

As for charter, I will probably book a local boat there for a couple of days and have a look around the waterway.
I'm actually abit excite over this trip.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 07:55:32 AM »

You are going to love it.
Riverman

hungry6

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 03:16:07 AM »

Ok guys, sorry to bring up an old thread, but the time is oh so close to be there. to be exact, I will be in BC from 26 august to 6 Sept. If anyone who is free to have a foreign fisho tag along for a trip or 2 please let me know. Also I will be booking a couple of charter from Van. Is. if you want to join p-lease feel free to contact me.
But most importantly I would need someone who is kind enough to give guidance to purchase tackles. I always have a believe in supporting the locals where I visit. So the only thing I will bring will be rod and reels and everything else will be purchased locally.
I'm looking at a couple of charter that Rod has recommended and see how we go weather wise.
It would be good to catch up with a local to learn and see the way you guys do it over there.
We may decide to stay longer than the 6th, but currently have Quebec/NY/Boston pencilled in.