Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Mainland, May 4th 2013  (Read 3585 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Lower Mainland, May 4th 2013
« on: May 04, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »

Great day out, about 40 fish between the 6 of us, even went 9 fish for 11 casts at one point. 9 bows and the rest bullies, biggest one around the 5 pound mark, and plenty of 3-4 pounders. Lots of fry out there, the fish were full of them. Every time you touched them a few fry would come out of their mouth.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Lower Mainland, May 4th 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 06:06:09 PM »

Nice. That first pic is not a salmon fry, but a juvenile northern pikeminnow (note the yellow caudal fin and absence of adipose fin).

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:18:46 PM »

Where were you
see ya on the river

rheticus

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 08:19:15 AM »

Like he said: Lower Mainland!

tuna

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »

please keep this one on the low down , one of the few places not overwhelmed, by swarms of fishermen and the remoteness would just encourage poaching   just let people figure this one out themselves , sorry for the way i may come across but this is the day and age of the internet great for sharing techniques but leave locations like that to be solved by true sportfishermen  cheers ;)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »

Nice. That first pic is not a salmon fry, but a juvenile northern pikeminnow (note the yellow caudal fin and absence of adipose fin).

Nice observation, Rod. Made me think... Some people call for a bounty on the NPM b/c they eat salmon fry, yet we overlook fhe fact that their juveniles provide forage for other species too.

mikeyman

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »

Don't take this the wrong way...but if you don't want anyone to know where...why post it? hmmmmm...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »

Consider reports like this as stories with some photos to share rather than a specific report where people can use to guide them to the fishery. It's one of the reasons that we have this board. If members can't even share their fishing stories and photos without having to disclose where they are fishing, then we might as well not have it. Personally I like seeing the photos, but doesn't really care where BCfisherman97 was fishing. I'm already having difficulty to even find some time to visit my usual fisheries during this time of the year, nevermind exploring new ones.

Nice observation, Rod. Made me think... Some people call for a bounty on the NPM b/c they eat salmon fry, yet we overlook fhe fact that their juveniles provide forage for other species too.

Thanks. That's what I have been preaching for many years. The general poor attitude in the recreational fishing community is that any fish without an adipose fin, or have no commercial value, or cannot satisfy one's palate, is demonized and some may even suggest they are invasive when they have co-exist with salmonids since the last glaciation. People don't seem to understand the concept of a food web. Northern pikeminnow and other similar Cyprinidae species, have two jobs in the Pacific Northwest's freshwater ecosystem. They are natural selectors, which keep the salmonid population healthy by eliminating weak juveniles. Juveniles of minnows, and sculpin, make up a food source for resident and anadromous trout and char, which would be feeding on juvenile salmonids if you eliminate all minnows. In fisheries where northern pikeminnow's population is controlled, such as Cultus Lake and Columbia River, the salmon population has either been reduced to the brink of extinction or the habitat has been altered to be more favourable for northern pikeminnow's predation. Both processes are the results of human activities (overharvesting and construction of dams). You can keep eliminating northern pikeminnow and believing their absence will recover salmon stocks, but it'll never happen.

Sorry, got out of the wrong side of bed this morning. :)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »

Honestly it was just for the pictures. I expected a tough day as it was a last minute choice of which water body to fish, and it turned out to be worth it. It was a day full of absolutely beautiful fish with not seeing another soul. If you know it, good for you, if not then enjoy the pics.

skeeter44

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »

Work and family keep me off the waters so I enjoy reading about other peoples fishing experiences.
Thanks BCfisherman97 !
Evil Prevails When Good Men Stand By And Do Nothing

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »

Thanks. That's what I have been preaching for many years. In fisheries where northern pikeminnow's population is controlled, such as Cultus Lake and Columbia River, the salmon population has either been reduced to the brink of extinction or the habitat has been altered to be more favourable for northern pikeminnow's predation. Both processes are the results of human activities (overharvesting and construction of dams). You can keep eliminating northern pikeminnow and believing their absence will recover salmon stocks, but it'll never happen.

X2.   In hindsite and easy for me to say now, the NPM removal program at Cultus Lake was a knee jerk reaction to a situation that needed something, anything, to make it appear DFO was handling and managing this endangered stock of sockeye.  FN demanded a recovery program, this was considered the only viable option, and at the time I backed it 100%.
 Initial returns of adults indicated this stock did rebound a bit from these PM removals ... but after the culling of many thousands of Northern Pike Minnows (>80 k) from Cultus Lake this sockeye stock is still here only due to the hatchery program, a cost of app 175k annually.  Historic spawning areas are now far too degraded for any future recruitment, water quality is not what it was and declining .. this sockeye stock will be gone when the hatchery component is considered too expensive for taxpayers to fund.
The Pikeminnows will still be there though ...

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »

Don't take this the wrong way...but if you don't want anyone to know where...why post it? hmmmmm...

Well, I can think of at least 2 reasons why someone would post without a location.

1) They want to brag.  Which is fine by me - introduce me to a fisherman that hasn't told a story or enhanced a fish's size once or twice in their life and I'll be shocked.  :)

2) They want to share a motivating "get out there!" story with others.  This is probably the most selfless reason, and very likely one of the reasons the original poster started this thread in the first place.

3) They like writing.  This is the reason why I post most of my reports - I like writing about my trip, and this is a convenient location to share those trips.  Location isn't always important - telling the tale is.  Plus I like reading other's reports and want to return the favour now and again. 

Or, it could just be because, y'know, this is a freaking FISHING SITE and people like to discuss fishing - regardless of the topic!  :)

Tex - likes it when there is a location, but generally doesn't find it necessary for that location to be specific.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »

Good report BCF!
I have no idea where that is, but I stilled enjoyed the photos. :)

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »

Honestly it was just for the pictures. I expected a tough day as it was a last minute choice of which water body to fish, and it turned out to be worth it. It was a day full of absolutely beautiful fish with not seeing another soul. If you know it, good for you, if not then enjoy the pics.
Thanks for that man. Havent been there for a few yrs. Will go there now.

joshuag232

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 10:17:25 PM »

Excellent insights and explanation, Rod. Hopefully that will clear things up for people  :)