Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you watch "Wicked Tuna" on TV? I have 2 questions.  (Read 5521 times)

norm_2

Do you watch "Wicked Tuna" on TV? I have 2 questions.
« on: July 03, 2013, 08:04:44 AM »

It is pretty amazing watching them catch 1000 lb tuna on a fishing rod.  My first question is what lb test leader do they use?  The second is when they are fighting the fish, they seem to grab the line and pull it to the reel.  Why do they have to do that? Doesn't reeling work?  Is there something unusual about those reels?  Thanks.

tworivers

Re: Do you watch "Wicked Tuna" on TV? I have 2 questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »

I think they use around 200# leader.
As for grabbing the line... I believe its to tell if they are gaining any line onto the reel.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »

Why do they have to do that? Doesn't reeling work? 

On any big fish, with a properly set drag, you can't just reel the fish in. You need to drop the rod tip, reel like heck, and then raise the rod to pull the fish in. You gain line by reeling when you create slack by dropping the rod tip. 

Because those rods are anchored to the boat they can't use do drop, reel, raise; so the have to pull in the line by hand.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »

That deckhand Paul is annoying to watch.

islanddude

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »

Paul is unique individual, like all of us. You have to give it to him and his brother that they are good fisherman.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:21:14 AM »

Norm_2, good on ya for this post! I too have wondered this as well.

Makes sense what Clarki said. If the line is under a lot of tension they can't just crank the reel, so they pull it in by hand to avoid grinding their reel's gears to dust.

I believe I have heard them say they use 200LB flouro leader. However their mainline also apprears to be mono or flouro. I wonder why they do not use a braided mainline? I assume it would spook the fish? However braided mainline seems to work fine for other saltwater applications...