Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kawkawa Lake Fishing Help.  (Read 7993 times)

Humpy

Kawkawa Lake Fishing Help.
« on: July 04, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »

Hi, I am planning on going camping/fishing on Kawkawa lake next week. I know it is famous for its kokanee fishery and krill is the best bait. I have a 5-6 ft Daiwa rod and reel with 10 lb main, is that good enough for the kokanee. I also have a 12 ft boat and motor, would that work? How do I bottom fish? I read Rodney's "Fishing Techniques" for this lake but I don't really understand them because I am new to lake fishing. How do I attach this sliding weight? Where do I get this weight from? How does it look like, a link would be helpful. Any help is appreciated.

"A small sliding weight around 0.5oz is threaded onto the main line, which is tied onto a swivel. At the other end of the swivel, tie a 2ft long 4lb test leader, followed by a size 4 or 6 hook. Cast your rig out and let it sink to the bottom." From Rodney's Fishing Techniques for Kawkawa Lake.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
Re: Kawkawa Lake Fishing Help.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »

10lb main might be a little heavy but would work. Also what weight rating is your rod? Usually want something in the lighter ranges with some flex, the kokes aren't too big, and also have a soft mouth.

The setup that Rod mentions is commonly called a 'Carolina Rig'.  Google it up and will find tons to read, it's popular with Bass fishermen. I use it quite often ocean fishing off the piers around the Lower Mainland.

Humpy

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:48:18 PM »

Would that rig work for Kawkawa Lake? The rod is 7ft medium action, Lure: 1/4-3/4 oz. Line 6-14lb. I think the line I have on is 8lb Flurocarbon. Where do I find this weight?

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »

Your rod should work fine, a lighter weight rated rod might be better, but don't sweat it, just get out and enjoy. The Carolina rig can be used anywhere you want to fish on the bottom. I usually use the little football/egg shaped lead with the hole through. I grab my stuff at Army&Navy.

But any weight you can slide a line through will work, even pencil lead. The bass guys have a myriad of styles of weights, many are designed to be less likely to hang up with a slim profile and pointed head.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:07:48 PM by JackFunk »

andrewscag

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:27:08 PM »

If they're rising within your casting distance something small and silver, like a dick nite or small vibrax works well out there, especially tipped with bait.  Cast past the moving school, pull your lure through them, and set the hook lightly once you get a bite.  Also make sure you ID your catch.  Plenty of little coho there too. Fun times  :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:29:27 PM by andrewscag »

Humpy

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »

Oh, I think I got it, Rodney is saying that I put the main line through the weight(pencil lead or bullet sinker) and then tie the end to a swivel, then tie a 2 ft leader(4lb). Is 2 ft good enough? and go I need a glass bead? And how do I attach the krill? Thanks so much for your help.

Humpy

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »

What is the best knot to use for these fish?

rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:20:38 PM »

I fish this setup all the time. 
Egg sinker threaded onto the main line.  Then I like to thread on a bead to stop the egg sinker from jamming onto the swivel.  Tie the swivel to the main line with an improved clinch knot.  Tie the leader to the swivel with an improved clinch knot.  The leader length depends on how deep the water is, but don't make it any longer than the length of your rod.  Tie your hook to the leader with a snell knot.  I actually usually tie the snell knot to my hook first before pulling the line off the spool, and then pull enough line from the spool to make your leader.  I use powerbait marshmallows for bait because they float and keep your hook off the bottom of the lake.  Just put the marshmallow bait on the hook and leave a little point of hook sticking out.  My only complaint with this method is that the fish will be deep hooked most of the time, meaning you may have to keep each one as it is very difficult to remove the hook without damaging the fish.   If you are fishing from a boat you will have to anchor, and if it is windy or there is a current you may have to anchor from the front and back.

Websites for fishing knots - net knots or animated knots.

Humpy

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 10:20:24 PM »

Ok, So just a normal red bead? Would 2 ft be a good leader size? I am planning on using krill, what knot do I use for that? Do I just use a normal hook(#4)? thanks for your help

rootbeer

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »

I went and watched Rod's youtube video about bottom fishing for kokanee, and I realize he is using a different technique than I described.  So disregard what I wrote about needing to anchor, and use a shorter leader than I described.  Sorry for any confusion  :-[

Yes a  normal red bead is fine. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 11:50:12 PM »

You should be anchored, so you do not lose your position once there is a school of fish biting directly below you. For this time of the year, fish are feeding on plankton at 40 - 50ft deep. A depth sounder gives you a lot of advantage in this fishery so you don't end up anchor many times until you find where the fish are.

The sliding weight/Carolina rig with a size 6 or 8 hook tipped with a krill can do the trick most of the time. Fishing has been good for several weeks now and will continue to be until mid August. Quite a few 16 inchers have been pulled up.

10lb test will get you fish, but will it be as fun? I personally like to use 4lb test, since the fish are not exactly huge and you want your setup to be as sensitive as possible.

Humpy

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 09:01:12 AM »

So do I need to use a bead? and What type of knots do I use, I have never used krill before? Thanks for your help. I don't have a depth sounder, will I have a chance without it?

rootbeer

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 10:45:52 AM »

So do I need to use a bead?

Yes, use a bead between the sliding weight and the swivel.

What type of knots do I use, I have never used krill before?

I think an Improved Clinch knot is the easiest to tie.  Use this knot to attach the lines to your swivel (both leader and main line.)  I like to use a snell knot to tie my hook to my leader, but you could use the Improved Clinch Knot there as well.   see net knots or animated knots for a tutorial on how to tie these if you don't know how.

The krill is just pierced by your hook. Same as you would a worm or deli shrimp.

I don't have a depth sounder, will I have a chance without it?

The fish finder/depth sounder will help you locate the schools of kokanee and make things easier.  I would still go and try, it's not like you're fishing for survival.

Humpy

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »

Ok, so just I just place a normal red bead between the bullet sinker and swivel and when I put krill on, is their a special way or just put it through the hook and cast?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »

Might be a bit of a rough ride if all the big boats are out fubaring.

some video on how to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jymsTXrghu8
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:59:30 AM by troutbreath »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?