Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pinks  (Read 78330 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish Pinks
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2013, 06:47:46 PM »

High water and low vis are not unusual for the Squamish until well into August
Add to that the brutal logging and developments upstream and low visibility becomes the new normal.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2013, 07:03:29 PM »

The Squamish is a large glacial river and as the glaciers receed in the upper watershed the glacial till that was under the ice is now exposed and the melting water washes it downstream into the river. This is why the river do's not clear until the high country starts to lock up with the cold weather in the fall. Haveing the Squamish dirty in the summer is normal but the silt amounts vary depending on how hot it is. Hot weather makes it worse and the forcast for the next week is for hot weather.  The Squamish is not going to clear until October as per normal.

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »

Actually it rained heavily two nights in a row in Squamish last week. Prior to those rains the river was quite clear...I live in Squamish and can confirm that it rained so heavily that I couldn't see anything while driving.
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »

no wonder I saw nothing but chalky white water last Thursday. Where did the rain come from if Vancouver is as sunny as can be?

Tuckster

« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2013, 12:18:23 PM »

Any Pinks left around Furry Creek?

Was not willing to put up with the crowds on the weekend, was thinking of heading out super early Thursday morning. Anyone heard any recent word from there if any fish are still around?

Am I better off hitting up Squamish or Ambleside?

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2013, 12:20:09 PM »

There were fish at furry creek yesterday. I even briefly hooked into a spring from shore.

Tuckster

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »

Awesome! How many pinks did you hook into?

Also, is there a specific tide that is better there?

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »

My dad went to furry the past 3 days and hooked into at least 5 each trip. thought id just add more people to the gong show.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »

The Gong show is inevitable with so many people going.  Just take it easy when somebody hooks your line by accident.  The Pinks comes and goes so you could get lots of action for a while and nothing for a long time. 

1stlite

« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »

½y plans were to make the short drive from Squamish to fish at Furry Creek on Sunday morning. When I saw the amount of cars I decided to keep driving into N. Van to get the boat instead. On the way down I remembered this nice stretch of beach in W. Van where I flyfished with great results before moving to Squamish. Thought I would maybe have a look and maybe give that a try. Not many people out fishing when I arrived which was about 7:30am. During the falling tide and saw a few jumping, then some more porpoise within casting range. Managed to get the fly in front of the fish moving by and had some success. Landed 3 pink salmon and lost another 3. This was all in about 1½ hours of fishing. After a fairly successful morning without crowds, I decided not to take the boat out. (gas too costly). Good Luck. Still lots of pinks headed up Squamish way.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #190 on: August 07, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »

^^ Was that you in the green hat and brown waders at Suicide Bend?
A rig out of water catches no fish.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »

This weekend fishing pinks should be interesting.   Sold out camp ground right near the Mamquam and thousands of potential anlgers  ::)

http://squamishfestival.com/p/frequently-asked-questions

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »

How can the Mamquam and the small area around and below its confluence with the Squamish handle thousands of fishermen? It will be the gong show of all time. I will stick to the ocean for pinks.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »

^^ Was that you in the green hat and brown waders at Suicide Bend?

Are these pinks at Suicide Bend heading for the Squamish or they are the Indian River stock? It is not the Howe Sound anymore.

Humpy

« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2013, 04:45:07 PM »

Had a great time on the flow, thanks for all the help(Milo). Caught my limit on all days, some nice females that provided me with some roe for the fall salmon season. Time to get some roe ready. Water clarify was not the greatest but if you use bright pink lures, spoons or jigs they will bite. Anyways that's my report.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.