Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pinks  (Read 78325 times)

Humpy

Re: Squamish Pinks
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »

I guess a pair of shorts and sandals would work for the squamish. Are both the squamish and the mamquam fresh water, do I only need the freshwater license. Thanks
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »

a few cycles back it wasn't stupid crowded so I decided to screw around wading out deeper to see what would happen. I figured that the pinks would just be swimming between my legs but instead they pushed way out into the hard current and everyone up river from me stop catching fish completely. I waded back after a few minutes of standing there to see if they would come back into shallow water, they didn't !  I then waded completely out of the water and fished from dry land, while I was catching fish still it wasn't nearly as often as when I was out to my ankle/mid shin. My fly line also kept getting caught on the damn rocks which was more then frustrating.

when the fishing is good I can often be found screwing with things whether it be flies, technique, or like this wading right into the fishes path if I can. I remember fishing pinks on the Harrison years ago where my dad and I stood literally in the swimming lane of the fish casting down river, let the fly sit for a few seconds(to let it sink a bit), do a few quick strips and bang fish every cast !

Please be mindful of the people fishing around you and yourself. If you wade into a travel lane for the fish they will choose another one unless there isn't another one. I have seen people do this (especially on the Squamish) in hopes they can intercept more fish than others which just isn't the case. Infact the people downriver from you will normally be the ones catching more because some fish will actually turn downstream because of the obstruction giving those down from you second chances. Only time this has ever worked was the example I gave, the fish had no choice but to swim through/past us otherwise they wouldn't have

those guys obviously aren't paying attention. I fish a light spey for pinks as well as a single hander. I don't think I have ever cast more than 60-70' for them in that river. I had my family members using light spinning tackle with bobber and wool setups and they were casting maybe 30' out. fly guys have to cast further to allow the fly to sink into the zone. Why some spey guys would stand so deep might be because of their lack of knowledge, they are totally new to it and don't know better, or who the hell knows why
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2013, 08:30:17 PM »

Im also lucky that my wife likes fishing. she is more for pinks, sockeye than anything else but did join me a lot before our boys were born. I did make the mistake of bringing her steelheading (after giving her fair warning of what was involved) which sort of helped turn her away from fishing because she likes to stay rooted in her spot for the day or move maybe twice to find fish. When it comes to my boys though they seem to have the obsession, my oldest has already told us he just wants to fish his whole life, seemed super excited when I told him he can get a job doing exactly that  ;D my youngest is always glued to me when im watching fishing stuff so even though he hasn't actually caught any himself I see potential............less than 2 weeks though and he will be getting his first ever  ;D

I wish my old laptop hadn't crashed losing all my pics. I had an awesome photo of my wife catching her very first Chinook and the look on her face when it took its initial blistering run was priceless, the pics after were of strain watching her battle the beast and then the final pic was the first spewing juice while she held it for the pic LoL (fish was even pretty chrome too so not sure why it was doing that)

1son - waders are not needed but remember this is glacial fed so it can be pretty F-ing cold so if having frozen feet bugs you then wear waders. I personally wear socks and wading boots but have also rocked just sandals many times.............yes even at 5am !

HOOK - thinks he needs to get his wife into some pinks to get her back interested and then into some Chinook to really get her back into it
Im the opposite, Im glad my wife doesn't like fishing! My chance to get away and be with the boys. ;)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2013, 08:51:06 PM »

Yes, Humpy, a pair of shorts and sandals will work just fine. You won't last long, though. The water is COLD there.

And yes, you only need a freshwater license to fish the Squamish and Mamquam, but I suggest you get a tidal license, too, as the best pink fishing will be happening in the lower Fraser river in a few weeks. Don't forget to buy the salmon tags if you plan to keep salmon. It is illegal to retain them without a tag.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »

If that were true, then why are the spey fisherman up to their nipples pounding 100ft of line?  :-X

Those who do it don't know better. Just because they swing a double hander doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Humpy

« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2013, 09:38:37 PM »

should I take some waders, so I can last longer in that water.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »

should I take some waders, so I can last longer in that water.

Waders will just cause you to over heat (although cooler weather is on the way), which probably why those spey guys are out there (trying to get cool).  Better to try wading boots and a pair of wool socks, I had no problem standing in there for hours in shorts.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:49:46 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Humpy

« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »

Ok, wading boots, wool socks, and shorts will do. Thanks for your help Sandman.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2013, 10:32:24 PM »

Don't forget stilts...

lapa

« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »

Humpy

« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »

Don't you mean stilts and a spear? What do you mean by stilts though, Rod?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2013, 07:09:05 PM »

Dude

« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »

I get Friday off Finally!  I want to get out and wet the line and try my luck on some pinks.  I live in richmond so Im going to be driving out to west van to fish from shore.  Can i Fish anywhere from shore for pinks from lighthouse park and further up towards horseshoe bay or not?  the reason I am asking this is because I cant understand these sections and subsections on regulations BEFORE anyone laughs I even called the steveston office and the guy that was trying to help me get some answers seemed just as confused as I did to answer my question as to where I can fish there and where I cant. By the end of it he said he would find out and call me back and I  never got a call back.   I just dont want to be fishing where I shouldnt be But to be honest why cant Fisheries make it easier for people to understand the rules and boundaries.
anyways any help would be great Im not asking for any specific locations but like general ideas points where I am allowed to fish from shore in the west van point atkinson area I suppose.   :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:37:38 PM by Dude »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »

take the exit at Furry Creek golf course. go up to the T in the road, go left back over the freeway. then get yourself back onto the freeway heading back towards Vancouver, pull off the road at the opening next to the train tracks and park there without blocking the small road across the tracks (that could get you towed). Then grab your stuff and head out towards the ocean, once you reach the waters edge you will see people fishing. go and join them  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Dude

« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2013, 07:50:15 PM »

LOL  Dont mean to be rude but that sounds like you just guided me right into the gongshow.  I wasnt really asking for a exact spot just wondering where I can fish and cant like a general idea.  I prefer to be away from the crowds to enjoy the scenery so I will be walking to find a secluded spot.