Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pinks  (Read 78390 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish Pinks
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »

Had a great time on the flow, thanks for all the help(Milo). Caught my limit on all days, some nice females that provided me with some roe for the fall salmon season. Time to get some roe ready. Water clarify was not the greatest but if you use bright pink lures, spoons or jigs they will bite. Anyways that's my report.

Awesome! Glad I could help. :)
Pay it forward now.  ;)

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »

Heads up if you are thinking of going up up that way, Squamish Live is on this weekend, traffic was backed up beyond Furry Creek on my way back from work.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »

If your looking for pinks to bring home IGA Marketplace was selling them for about 6 bucks per fish. Head off and cleaned.  ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2013, 09:12:35 PM »

If your looking for pinks to bring home IGA Marketplace was selling them for about 6 bucks per fish. Head off and cleaned.  ;D

I've seen cheaper at SuperStore ;)

Mr Z

« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »

Tried this fishery for the first time this weekend. Lot of fun!  ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2013, 09:16:46 PM »

COs were out there this weekend, and I personally witnessed a few tickets being written...will people never learn?

Overheard:

"But officer, I have a license."
"Yes, sir, you do, but you don't have a fresh water salmon tag. It is required if you are retaining fish."
"Is that some new rule?"
" No sir, it has been in place for well over 20 years. "

Beeks. ::)

Mr Z

« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »

COs were out there this weekend, and I personally witnessed a few tickets being written...will people never learn?

Overheard:

"But officer, I have a license."
"Yes, sir, you do, but you don't have a fresh water salmon tag. It is required if you are retaining fish."
"Is that some new rule?"
" No sir, it has been in place for well over 20 years. "

Beeks. ::)

I'm glad that there are some people checking at least in the very busy spots. I've been fishing in BC for only 1 year but I've never seen an officer on the river.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2013, 10:38:56 PM »

Was fishing with Tom L. today, Milo, and he saw this one group of 5 people take fish out to their vehicle twice and kept coming back for me.  He mentioned that someone said something to them and another fellow phoned the CO's but they kept doing what they were doing....no CO's came unfortunately.

Just seeing fishing constantly be dragged to the dry part of the shore line for release is enough to raise my blood temp.

samw

« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2013, 11:11:39 PM »

Was fishing with Tom L. today, Milo, and he saw this one group of 5 people take fish out to their vehicle twice and kept coming back for me.  He mentioned that someone said something to them and another fellow phoned the CO's but they kept doing what they were doing....no CO's came unfortunately.

Just seeing fishing constantly be dragged to the dry part of the shore line for release is enough to raise my blood temp.

That's unfortunate.  I've been actually stopped in my car for a search 2 weekends ago as I was driving away from the river.   CO did a U-turn and flashed the lights and I pulled over.  I didn't catch any fish that day but it is the luck of the draw.  Sometimes the poachers get searched and sometimes law abiding anglers get searched.  I've been checked by CO 3 times this pink season already. 

I've also seen people use nets to catch pinks (and no, they weren't FN and they weren't Asian :) ).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:14:05 PM by samw »

trot

« Reply #204 on: August 13, 2013, 08:48:57 AM »

That's unfortunate.  I've been actually stopped in my car for a search 2 weekends ago as I was driving away from the river.   CO did a U-turn and flashed the lights and I pulled over.  I didn't catch any fish that day but it is the luck of the draw.  Sometimes the poachers get searched and sometimes law abiding anglers get searched.  I've been checked by CO 3 times this pink season already. 

I've also seen people use nets to catch pinks (and no, they weren't FN and they weren't Asian :) ).

Pesky Europeans! ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #205 on: August 13, 2013, 05:59:04 PM »

Co's were there every day at different time frames this weekend. my dad actually got a ticket because he forgot his license in his waders back home LoL that's a painful $115 lesson !!

all other charges will be waived when he produces a copy of his license with tags showing he owned one at the time ticket was written. the charge he still has to pay is "failure to produce a license"
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #206 on: August 13, 2013, 06:14:40 PM »

If you are referring to anglers using landing nets on the Squamish and Furry Creek, there's nothing wrong with that. Many anglers are not comfortable landing a fish without a net.

But if you are talking about setting nets across the flow to CATCH fish, I truly hope you reported it. If you just walk away and do nothing about it, you become part of the problem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:21:48 PM by milo »

samw

« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2013, 06:26:41 PM »

If you are referring to anglers using landing nets on the Squamish and Furry Creek, there's nothing wrong with that. Many anglers are not comfortable landing a fish without a net.

But if you are talking about setting nets across the flow to CATCH fish, I truly hope you reported it. If you just walk away and do nothing about it, you become part of the problem.

Trying to catch with a net.  No rod.  Clearly if they were using a net to land a fish that they caught with a rod, that's not a violation.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:30:31 PM by samw »

RiverRunner

« Reply #208 on: August 14, 2013, 08:47:39 PM »

Whats the Squamish river like for jet boats?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:57:23 PM by RiverRunner »

Dogbreath

« Reply #209 on: August 14, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »

There are some Youtube vids of a commercial operation that does trips mainly on the Upper Squamish-there are smaller jets on the lower river I imagine that launching could be an issue.

FWIW-took a tour group up to the Bailey Bridge on the Cheakamus Monday to show them some Pinks heading upstream-people from Oz & Germany-they were amazed.

That's something I'll be doing a lot more of in future.