Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Fraser River Sockeye Updates  (Read 38593 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2013 Fraser River Sockeye Updates
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »

Is the non-tidal portion of the Fraser (Mission to Chilliwack) still closed for all salmon?
I've checked the DFO fisheries notice site and understand that there is no retention of sockeye but, any word yet on a possible opening for Chinooks?

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=151827&ID=recreational

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »

thanks Rod

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 09:09:19 PM »

Springs opened last Sat.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »

Friday, August 2, 2013

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, August 2 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

Marine area test fisheries indicate a flat migration of Fraser sockeye through Johnstone and Juan de Fuca Straits over the past week. At the meeting today, the Panel approved an increase in the run size estimate for Early Stuart sockeye from 180,000 to 182,000 fish. Their 50% marine timing through Area 20 is still estimated to be July 2. The run size estimate of 400,000 Early Summer-run sockeye was unchanged at the meeting today. Current assessments suggest that the abundance of Summer-run sockeye is either lower than forecast or their migration timing is later than expected. An in-season assessment of Summer-run sockeye abundance should be available by late next week. Recent stock identification analyses indicate that Late Shuswap sockeye comprise most of the Late-run sockeye currently migrating through the marine approach routes. The migration of pink salmon through the marine assessment areas has been steady over the past week. DNA analyses indicate that Fraser River pink salmon currently comprise a small proportion of the pink salmon presently being harvested in marine area test fisheries.

On August 1, the Fraser River water discharge at Hope was 3,390 cms, which is approximately 25% lower than average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on August 1 was 19.1C, which is 1.4C higher than average for this date.

CANADIAN FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

Remain closed to fishing.

UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

TREATY INDIAN FISHERY:

Areas 4B, 5 and 6C: Extended for drift gillnets from 12:00 p.m. (noon), Saturday, August 3, 2013, to 12:00 p.m. (noon) Wednesday, August 7, 2013.

ALL CITIZEN FISHERY:

Remains closed to fishing.

(Note: U. S. All Citizen fishers should check the U.S. hotline and WDFW regulations before fishing as there are additional State of Washington regulations, including time restrictions that may be in effect).

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Tuesday, August 6, 2013.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Fraser River Panel met Tuesday, August 6 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

Although the migration of Fraser sockeye through the marine approach routes to the Fraser River has increased in recent days, it is still considerably lower than expected. This is primarily due to the lower than expected migration of Summer-run through the marine approach routes to-date. At the meeting today, the Panel approved an increase in the run size estimate for Early Summer-run sockeye from 400,000 to 452,000 fish. Their 50% migration timing through Area 20 is estimated to be July 22, which is one day earlier than expected. Current assessments suggest that the abundance of Summer-run sockeye is either lower than forecast or their migration timing is much later than expected. An in-season assessment of Summer-run sockeye abundance should be available by later this week. The proportion of Late-run sockeye migrating through the marine assessment areas has increased over recent days. DNA analyses continue to indicate that Fraser River pink salmon currently comprise a small proportion of the pink salmon presently being harvested in marine area test fisheries, which is consistent with the later marine timing of Fraser pinks relative to Washington and Canada South Coast (non-Fraser) pink salmon stocks.

On August 5, the Fraser River water discharge at Hope was 3,150 cms, which is approximately 26% lower than average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on August 5 was 20.5C, which is 2.8C higher than average for this date. Sustained exposure of sockeye to Fraser River water temperatures in this range may cause high pre-spawning mortality.

UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS: TREATY INDIAN FISHERY:

Areas 4B, 5 and 6C: Extended for drift gillnets from 12:00 p.m. (noon), Wednesday, August 7, 2013, to 12:00 p.m. (noon) Saturday, August 10, 2013.

ALL CITIZEN FISHERY:

Remains closed to fishing.

(Note: U. S. All Citizen fishers should check the U.S. hotline and WDFW regulations before fishing as there are additional State of Washington regulations, including time restrictions that may be in effect).

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Friday, August 9, 2013.

mikeyman

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »

If the numbers are low, and the temps are high and water lower, close fishing for socks to everybody! All groups no fishing for socks!!!! Unbelievable miss management, good job dfo, spend 30 million on an inquiry and do nothing to follow up on recommendations to save the sockeye runs. This is really upsetting. Duh, where are all the fish going???? hmmm, 30 million dollars spent, when I could just tell you that maybe, just maybe they are being scooped up in gill nets when they are so close to finishing out their life cycle. Just leave it for at least one cycle for the lower run years, and I bet we would be pleasantly surprised. Okay give me the 30 million dollars and I will invest it in habitat restoration and hatchery funding. Unbefreakinlievable! DON"T NET THIS YEAR! First Nations, Commercial or sport fishermen floss snagging, be patient, next year should be awsome run, and if we left the other cycles, maybe they to would hit historical levels. BLAH!

trot

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »

If the numbers are low, and the temps are high and water lower, close fishing for socks to everybody! All groups no fishing for socks!!!! Unbelievable miss management, good job dfo, spend 30 million on an inquiry and do nothing to follow up on recommendations to save the sockeye runs. This is really upsetting. Duh, where are all the fish going???? hmmm, 30 million dollars spent, when I could just tell you that maybe, just maybe they are being scooped up in gill nets when they are so close to finishing out their life cycle. Just leave it for at least one cycle for the lower run years, and I bet we would be pleasantly surprised. Okay give me the 30 million dollars and I will invest it in habitat restoration and hatchery funding. Unbefreakinlievable! DON"T NET THIS YEAR! First Nations, Commercial or sport fishermen floss snagging, be patient, next year should be awsome run, and if we left the other cycles, maybe they to would hit historical levels. BLAH!

Finally someone with a brain!!!! The entire thing needs to be shut down for minimum four years. We are nearly the point of it simply being too late. I can only hope some people get into the DFO that have half a brain when it comes to management.

dnibbles

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »

If the numbers are low, and the temps are high and water lower, close fishing for socks to everybody! All groups no fishing for socks!!!! Unbelievable miss management, good job dfo, spend 30 million on an inquiry and do nothing to follow up on recommendations to save the sockeye runs.

No fishing in Canada. Can't reduce fishing much more than that.

One issue with management of Fraser sockeye is that the fishery isn't actually managed by DFO, it's managed by the Fraser River Panel of the Pacific Salmon Commission. While there is significant DFO representation there, there are also US interests, as well as stakeholder reps from all groups that want a crack at the fish (i.e. sporties, commies, FNs). This is fairly unique in BC, save for a couple of other boundary fisheries where management occurs bilaterally with the US.

All that being said, it boggles my mind that 4 years removed from the 2009 collapse the Panel hasn't been even more risk averse up to this point.

trot

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »

No fishing in Canada. Can't reduce fishing much more than that.

One issue with management of Fraser sockeye is that the fishery isn't actually managed by DFO, it's managed by the Fraser River Panel of the Pacific Salmon Commission. While there is significant DFO representation there, there are also US interests, as well as stakeholder reps from all groups that want a crack at the fish (i.e. sporties, commies, FNs). This is fairly unique in BC, save for a couple of other boundary fisheries where management occurs bilaterally with the US.

All that being said, it boggles my mind that 4 years removed from the 2009 collapse the Panel hasn't been even more risk averse up to this point.

I have seen a whack of nets and no one stopping them- and yes I call every time

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »

I was on a bar on the fraser for the last 2 days, and I watched countless people flossing for sockeye and retaining them too...
Some would bbq it right away and others would claim to me its a pink....
There is too much ignorance on the river and little to nothing being done.
I'm actually shocked that there are so many people willing to poach.
also. when bar fishing. that counts as 1 rod. that's the legal limit. yet many many many people are barfishing and right beside that bottom bouncing. 2 guys 4 rods in the water....
Tight lines to all

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 12:21:16 PM »

What I would do is call in the location where you saw the poaching going on. Hopefully DFO will send someone out to crack down on the poachers.

trot

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »

What I would do is call in the location where you saw the poaching going on. Hopefully DFO will send someone out to crack down on the poachers.

Have called from the same spot for several years and not once have I seen a CO. Its no wonder so many meat heads are snagging for Chinook while retaining sockeye, there isn't anyone getting in any trouble for it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »

I was on a bar on the fraser for the last 2 days, and I watched countless people flossing for sockeye and retaining them too...
Some would bbq it right away and others would claim to me its a pink....
There is too much ignorance on the river and little to nothing being done.
I'm actually shocked that there are so many people willing to poach.
also. when bar fishing. that counts as 1 rod. that's the legal limit. yet many many many people are barfishing and right beside that bottom bouncing. 2 guys 4 rods in the water....
Very sad, this will only lead to more closures in the future. How I so enjoyed so many years on the Fraser River with family and friends bar fishing, those days are now gone.

Sadder still, be it a personal decision I at this time donot even want to go out there now and The Leaf Craft is sitting idle for the second year in a row. Glad I still have videos of many good times to relive those days.

trot

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »

I am quite confused, and perhaps it is a dumb question but WHY haven't they ever simply said "NO BOTTOM BOUNCING" is that so hard? Or am I missing something?

Serious question..

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 01:20:07 PM »

I am quite confused, and perhaps it is a dumb question but WHY haven't they ever simply said "NO BOTTOM BOUNCING" is that so hard? Or am I missing something?

Serious question..
Not wanting to start this debate over again and we are starting to hijack this thread but i thought I should answer your question. They, FOC have in the past, requested people fish to fish selectively when there is a conservation concern for sockeye or other stocks.