Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Fraser River Sockeye Updates  (Read 38587 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2013 Fraser River Sockeye Updates
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2013, 09:19:03 AM »

Friday, August 23, 2013

The Fraser River Panel met Friday, August 23 to receive an update on the migration of Fraser River sockeye and pink salmon and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed.

The abundance of Fraser River sockeye migrating through Johnstone and Juan de Fuca Straits has been steady over the past week. At the meeting today, the run size estimates of 520,000 Early Summer-run and 2,300,000 Summer-run sockeye were unchanged. Current assessments suggest that the abundance of Late-run sockeye is below their median forecast level of abundance; however, there is still significant uncertainty in the Late-run sockeye abundance assessments. A more accurate assessment of their abundance should be available next week. At the meeting today, the Panel approved a run size estimate of 10,000,000 Fraser River pink salmon.

On August 22, the Fraser River water discharge at Hope was 2,900 cms, which is approximately 10% lower than average for this date. The temperature of the Fraser River at Qualark Creek on August 22 was 18.9C, which is 1.6C higher than average for this date. Water temperatures are forecast to decrease further over the next several days, which will improve migration conditions for Fraser sockeye.

The Panel announced the following regulations for Panel Area waters:

CANADIAN FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

Remains closed to fishing.

UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS:

TREATY INDIAN FISHERY:

Areas 4B, 5 and 6C: Open to drift gillnets from 12:00 p.m. (noon) Saturday, August 24, 2013 to 12:00 p.m. (noon), Wednesday August 28, 2013.
Areas 6,7 and 7A: Open to net fishing from 5:00 a.m. Sunday, August 25 through 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, August 27, 2013, in the area southerly and easterly of a straight line drawn from Iwersen’s dock on Point Roberts in the State of Washington to the Georgina Point Light at the entrance to Active Pass in the Province of British Columbia.

ALL CITIZEN FISHERY:

Area 7: Open to reefnets with non-retention of sockeye salmon from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Saturday, August 24, 2013 and Sunday, August 25, 2013.

Areas 7 and 7A: Open to purse seines with non-retention of sockeye salmon from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Tuesday, August 27, 2013, in the area southerly and easterly of a straight line drawn from Iwersen’s dock on Point Roberts in the State of Washington to the Georgina Point Light at the entrance to Active Pass in the Province of British Columbia.

Areas 7 and 7A: Open to gillnets with non-retention of sockeye salmon from 8:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. (midnight) Tuesday, August 27, 2013, in the area southerly and easterly of a straight line drawn from Iwersen’s dock on Point Roberts in the State of Washington to the Georgina Point Light at the entrance to Active Pass in the Province of British Columbia.

(Note: U. S. All Citizen fishers should check the U.S. hotline and WDFW regulations before fishing as there are additional State of Washington regulations, including time restrictions that may be in effect).

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Tuesday, August 27, 2013.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »

Who are they kidding? Those nets are going to kill many sockeye as by catch or if not killed and thrown back after some delay, they won't make it back to spawning ground. All these openings and yet DFO shuts down the Fraser from fishing pinks & springs by anglers to try to avoid some incidental hooking of sockeye with much lower mortality rate than the nets. SMH.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »

Who are they kidding? Those nets are going to kill many sockeye as by catch or if not killed and thrown back after some delay, they won't make it back to spawning ground. All these openings and yet DFO shuts down the Fraser from fishing pinks & springs by anglers to try to avoid some incidental hooking of sockeye with much lower mortality rate than the nets. SMH.

I think all those openings u r reading are in the USA !!!

islanddude

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »

Read the history of the blockage of the Fraser, I believe in 1913. The salmon that are coming back are not fit to eat due to radiation from the Fukushima disaster in Japan. Read about what is happening there. They are posioning the Pacific ocean.

wonder

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »

It makes me sick that nothing is being done about that ^^  :'(

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »

I think all those openings u r reading are in the USA !!!

The end result is the same - dead sockeye. That is why we ask the Alaskans to stop fishing Skeener sockeye up north. Are these openings controlled by DFO? Is so, why do that to risk more sockeye fatality

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »

What it comes down to is funding. If they could they would but they can't so they are trying to help what is needed most and try to answer calls about bottom bouncers  ::)...

Convince your federal government to do something and they will...
Tight lines to all

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »

It makes me sick that nothing is being done about that ^^  :'(

omg.... The end is near!!!!!!

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2013, 02:00:18 PM »

Area 20 seine is hauling in a massive amount of pinks . 10,000 pinks yesterday , bigger numbers than 2011 yet they are still forcasting only 10 million fish . I think they are downsizing the run because they will let the commercial guys go for a huge haul this year .

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2013, 02:12:36 PM »

I thought I'd give a first hand update as I am sitting on the bank of the river right now in the delta area. I have seen a pink rise at least every 5 mins and had one bigger school come through in the hour I've been here. I don't have a rod for obvious reasons. Have seen a couple of sockeye as well. I have also seen 2 Dfo boats cruise by and a couple check the fisherman on foot who are casting spoons in the area so they are out in full force which is great to see! Can't wait for it to open, tight lines to all.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2013, 04:43:46 AM »

I was in Steveston Saturday evening and the river was high slack and perfectly calm.
Not a Pink showing though.
A few sockeye further out and there was a seal around but it didn't look to be fishing either.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2013, 05:40:25 AM »

omg.... The end is near!!!!!!

Lol Armageddon is here for sure Rodney...
always a student

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »

Was at Derby Reach last night and didn't see anything surface.

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »

I live on the middle arm and have seen lots of pinks rising in the north arm on my way out to the chuck.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2013, 02:09:05 PM »

14,000 pinks in yesterdays seine . Dfo gonna be upgrading that run atleast double i think . Over 20 million pinks for sure