Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lead Core Line  (Read 1778 times)

rickjames_2

Lead Core Line
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:27:45 PM »

Hey guys, I am just curious if anyone has experience/success trolling with Lead core line on a trolling rod and reel or spinning rod set up? I was told it was a good option for trolling some deeper lakes like Chilliwack lake. Any recommendation's are welcome.

Thanks!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

randya

Re: Lead Core Line
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 07:12:16 AM »

I have used it in the Cariboo for Kokanee in the warmer months. Used it on a fly reel but found it gets kinked easily and causes problems. Your best bet is probably a level wind reel to keep the wraps uniform. Guys use leaders up to 100 feet in lakes like Sheridan for rainbows.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »

Set up Ive used and works a charm is a mooching reel 100yds of 20lb backing then the lead core, less kinking with that set up. Fished it at Loon all the time. 100ft 6lb xl and a green frog flatfish, killer combo. Oh and out 3 colors on your lead core.
Take the T out of Morton.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 05:56:48 AM »

I use it in summer doldrums as well.I have found a level wind works best.Long leaders.I like 16 to 20 ft.Keep in mind you are never as deep as the number of colours would have you think.This is due to resistance in he water pushing the line back up.The slower you troll the deeper you can get.This is also good with various spoons.Spool tension knob can greatly lessen backlash.
Riverman