Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: G loomis glx cp rod  (Read 5716 times)

Magz

G loomis glx cp rod
« on: July 12, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »

Hey just looking for a new pin rod.im looking for some feed back on glx1563 or glx 1352. Ive had many nice rods like sage and other gloomis .so im interested to hear  how they perform and are they as sensitive as a 3113 .and are the slididng rings good or not?ive never used sliding rings for my reel seat. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thx

zap brannigan

Re: G loomis glx cp rod
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »

never had any problems with sliding rings, prefer them over a screw type reel seat.

Magz

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »

Good to hear. Do u tape them. I noticed a few guys had there rings taped

zap brannigan

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 09:07:21 PM »

no, never had too i put a small doubled over strip of duct tape between the reel foot and cork to act as a shim then slide the rings over the foot making sure their well seated, never have come loose even on big fish their actually quite hard to get to release my reel.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »

i have the glx1563. i have never had an issue with the sliding rings. the rod is nice when you have lots a room. it is also super sensitive, you feel everything. way more than my 3113 lb. not a lot of back bone with that light line weight. for some local rivers its just to big. also not the best rod in the bush. i would love to try the 1352.

Magz

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 12:57:57 AM »

Ya i was wondering if the 13ft may be to long for local rivers.i like the 1352 but it seems so flimsy to what ive always used.wish it came med light power not just one power wich is light.these rods sure feel nice in the hand tho. I just dont want to drop the $$ and not love it.

zap brannigan

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »

i got a 13 ft and i use it as my small systems rod, mostly cap coho they dont have enough back bone for the upper vedder or anything fast flowing especially with larger fish really sensitive nice feeling rods though.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »

buyer beware! these blanks are high end steelhead blanks that are designed for great lakes steelhead (hence the longer length and lack of back bone). The actual factory build on these rods is garbage! cheap cork, cheap $3.00 plastic sliding rings that WILL dump your reel in the water at the worst times, and terrible epoxy/thread work on the guides. You may as well pick up a really nice 13' blank and build a sick rod that will be nicer to fish and cost less.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 02:57:38 PM »

buyer beware! these blanks are high end steelhead blanks that are designed for great lakes steelhead (hence the longer length and lack of back bone). The actual factory build on these rods is garbage! cheap cork, cheap $3.00 plastic sliding rings that WILL dump your reel in the water at the worst times, and terrible epoxy/thread work on the guides. You may as well pick up a really nice 13' blank and build a sick rod that will be nicer to fish and cost less.

x2.   That's why i stick with my custom built sage..... ;)

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 10:26:35 PM »

i've been super impressed by my shimano clarus pin rod, for a 4 piece rod it had great action and for close to or under $100, and coming in a 11'8" or a 13' worth looking into

Magz

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 10:35:30 PM »

Thx for all the info guys. I think im gunna go with a custom built.probably another sage.hey hue nut im also in the market for another reel. I have a bearing kingfisher so i was looking for a bushing reel.i was thinking about a talisman,so that being said whats the waitlist like on a talisman these days?

Pin-nook

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »

Don't be discouraged by picking up this rod, well the GLX 1563 anyway! I agree with some of the comments but I find it hard not to want to use it especially for steelhead but hue-nut is right in that the GLX series was designed and tested by a group out of the Great Lakes Tribs.  If you can find this rod "NEW" at a great price and don't mind using it for certain species then I would recommend 1 but not if you want it as an all around rod.

I was interested in trying a longer rod than the normal ones you see around so I ordered a 13' Raven from back East and on my first trip hooked into a nice bullet wild doe and from then on I was hooked. I had a chance to pick up the GLX(1563) at a great price so I jumped at it.  My first impressions were that it came in a nice rod bag(no use really...), the rod looked great at first glance and was super light.  I didn't like the sliding rings(tape down my CP) as they seemed cheaper than the rings on my Raven and didn't care too much for the recoil line guides as they seem to be a little soft and bend easily.

I took this rod out steelheading wondering how it would perform as I had only used it for smaller coho and couldn't really tell how much power it really had because it was really noodlie compared to what I'm used to and bent easily on small fish.  Anyway, I hooked a monster buck in a tailout and it shot into the fast water and sat there. At first I thought the rod was going to blow up as it bent right to the cork and I also wasn't sure about the hook set as the rod didn't feel stiff enough to transfer my hook set. I leaned on the rod wanting to see if I could move the fish and figured out that it did have reserved power from butt to mid section and even though the rod was doubled over you can get a sense that you still had enough to put more pressure on the fish.  I managed to work this buck up and out of the rapids almost to hand but the knot on the jig finally came undone but the rod passed my expectations. 

I have a collection of CP rods that includes a 13' Raven IM8, 13' GLoomis GLX(1563), custom Sage 3106LB, Sage 3113M and custom Sage 3113LB.  I choose my rods depending on situations(High/low water, species) and unlike most I enjoy my time out fishing wether fish are hooked or not and enjoy the gear I use.  All rods are different and would be difficult to compare and for those that try to compare say a GLX(1562,1563) to a Sage 3113LB, there's no comparison and not even close! The rods are much different in action and overall performance. The GLX is very limited and would seriously only target steelhead and smaller salmon species whereas with a Sage 3113LB you can pretty much use it for anything Muskie and Pike like they use it for in the Great Lakes.

All I can say about the GLX is that I will at some point have strip it down and have it rebuilt the way I want because I do enjoy the action and the length is perfect for me.  My ultimate rod would be a 13 footer as light as the GLX but have the same action or feel as the Sage 3113LB.

PS  Highly recommend using with a bearing style reel.