Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: noob getting into fly fishing... one handed, swtich or spey?  (Read 8482 times)

HamidSeshadri

Hi guys,

I'm starting to get into fly fishing (targeting salmon). I've been researching and researching and reading lots. probably too much...  :P

if you all could share some of your wisdom... should i just start with a single handed fly rod or can i go straight to spey, or maybe a switch rod?
are there overwhelming benefits of one over the others?

i'm not concerned about learning curves, i'm confident in my ability to learn and practice. and i will probably take up some lessons to get the right basics anyways.

cheers,
h

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: noob getting into fly fishing... one handed, switch or spey?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 11:19:34 AM »

They are both good for different types of fishing and different species. You don't need to start with one or the other IMO. Single-hander is more versatile unless you just want to swing flies then I would say get a spey. A lot of local Salmon fishing involves stripping flies and a single is a much better choice. A 9 - 10' 8 weight would be a good all round rod to start for Salmon fishing and put most species in your range.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: noob getting into fly fishing... one handed, swtich or spey?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 01:55:50 PM »

I would personally start with a single hander. a lot of salmonoids aren't huge on swung flies, yes a swung fly will catch them however a stripped or twitched fly will work better. You can still swing flies on a single hander but its harder to strip flies on a spey/switch rod
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 04:36:38 PM »

thanks, appreciate the input.

i was already considering an 8wt, good to know im somewhat on the right track  :)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 05:53:20 AM »

Do yourself a favor and buy a 10 foot rod. world of difference from a 9 foot. The day my dad had bought his 10 foot we traded rods for an hour or so and having that extra foot made things a lot easier. things that normally wouldn't be noticeable to a newb but why not start on the right track  ;)

here is 3 rod brands that wont totally kill the bank and they each offer 10' rods in 7wt and up

Echo
Redington (I use a 10' 7wt Pursuit)
St. Croix

I don't go for super high end rods for salmon fishing. mostly its because springs and chum can break your stuff and having a $500+ rod snap is no fun, more so then a rod around $300 or less
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:58:27 AM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

ByteMe

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »

I've used SH rods for over 40yrs till my shoulder blew out,then went to spey rods,but found them too cumbersome and heavy,tried a 10'8 switch rod and will never look back.You get the best of both worlds SH and spey in a lightweight package,overhand cast when nymphing or stripping and spey casting for swinging flies.It's nice being able to make 60-70 ft casts without a backswing with a switch rod
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 08:58:43 AM »

I've used SH rods for over 40yrs till my shoulder blew out,then went to spey rods,but found them too cumbersome and heavy,tried a 10'8 switch rod and will never look back.You get the best of both worlds SH and spey in a lightweight package,overhand cast when nymphing or stripping and spey casting for swinging flies.It's nice being able to make 60-70 ft casts without a backswing with a switch rod

I agree. While my guess is a SH would be best for a beginner, switch rods can be used for stripping a fly plus are pretty decent spey rods as long as you aren't chucking extra heavy sink tips with big intruder flies.

what species of salmon will you be fishing for most of the time? If coho and pink a lighter rod will do. A #7 SH or a #6 or #7 switch. If you are thinking of chum you'll need a #8. Spring require a #9 minimum. 
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »

things that normally wouldn't be noticeable to a newb but why not start on the right track  ;)

can you elaborate? do you mean like mending the line or easier to cast?

if you could go back in time and start with a switch rod, would you? or do you think a SH is the best way to start?

I agree. While my guess is a SH would be best for a beginner, switch rods can be used for stripping a fly plus are pretty decent spey rods as long as you aren't chucking extra heavy sink tips with big intruder flies.

what species of salmon will you be fishing for most of the time? If coho and pink a lighter rod will do. A #7 SH or a #6 or #7 switch. If you are thinking of chum you'll need a #8. Spring require a #9 minimum. 
coho mostly, but definitely will try for bulls, chum, and steelhead too.

i think i'd like to start out with a versatile setup and then get other rods to specialize.

ByteMe

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »

If I could go back in time,would I start with a switch rod??.............ABSOLUTELY !!!,it is lightweight,versatile,able to cast with bushes behind,without backcasting,also with today's development in line technology in 2 hand casting,you will be make fishable casts regardless of the situation in a very short time,be it overhead or spey.............in other words,you have options,but rest assured,whatever you choose YOU WILL have more than one rod eventually,like the most of us ;)
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

mdc8427

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »

ya man a switch is a good go. takes time and seems soo fustrating trying to learn to cast with such a large rod so stick with it   and dont waste your money on a $300-$450 one day casting class.  learn by going out there and just do it.  an 8 weight would be good big enough for some big fish and still throw heavy flies with ease :P

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 04:45:04 PM »

From my experience, I would start with the single hander. Get the aerialized casting down first, learn the mechanics of it, the timing, and the positioning of your arms, wrists and hands first. At the same time, you can practice and play with roll casting and snake rolls and such, then when you pick up a spey, you understand the concept of what you are trying to do. The very first time I picked up a spey, after a year of fly fishing, I bolted out a decent cast, but when I got my first single hander, I had NO idea about how the line anchors in the water. I was trying to slide the line on water/ground to load the rod.

EITHER WAY, it will be a challenge, but its a journey! Have fun.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 11:39:04 PM »

the longer rod will make casting easier by giving you better reach above the water helping to keep your line/leader/fly from hitting the water or land behind you (you will do this a lot until you figure out the cast timing), also when using sink tips they tend to pull (cause of the extra grain weight) and I find the longer rod helps to soften this pull and allow the casting stroke to be felt smoother rather than feel jerky forward & reverse. longer rod also helps you mend the line better giving you better control over what your fly is doing.

If I could go back and start again I would still rock a single hander but in a 10'. I've had many days where the single out fishes the spey using the same sink tip, fly and leader however it goes the other way sometimes as well

what Dan said is very true and do yourself a favor and take a beginners casting lesson/course. learn to cast properly and it will make your time out there more about enjoyment than fighting bas habits you taught yourself. My casting has been forever changing as I learn new things or experiment (especially with the spey/switch)

example - today I was fishing a local river and in many spots especially where accuracy was greatly needed I was wishing for my single hander. I played around with a wide array of casts to find what was best for my conditions and to get it where it needed to be, I lost a few flies to trees also because I misjudged my distance. This is something I hardly ever do with a single because the line is in your hand where you can grab it and stop the fly short if its going to head into danger a lot easier than with a two hander
Check out our new blog

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »

thank you all,
i appreciate you taking the time to help and share your experience.

I've yet to make up my mind, and you have given me many things to consider =)

cheers,

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 11:48:34 PM »

easy...get both a "short" spey and 13+ footer, all bases covered.
A swung fly is the best fly.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 07:47:37 AM »

I don't think you will go wrong either way - depending on what you want to fish for.  For example, if you want to fly fish stillwaters, then I would learn on a SH rod as this will serve you well on the lakes (I have yet to see anyone use a spey/switch on a lake).  If you're only going to fish flowing water, then I guess the choice is yours.  Both have their time and place.  I learned to cast with a SH rod (since two handers weren't really around when I started).  If I could go back, I wouldn't change anything.  In my experience, if you cast a SH rod properly, it will do all the work for you and put less stress on your shoulder/arm.  This doesn't mean injuries won't happen - everyone is different and wear and tear on the body can catch up with me.  I do note that fly rod technology has improved greatly in recent years.  I own a Sage 896 RPL+ which was a premium rod in the mid to late 90's, and this rod feels very heavy to cast compared to today's 8 weight mid-range rods.  Just ask HOOK.

Whatever you decide, I highly recommend casting lessons from a professional caster.  Good luck and have fun.  :)