Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good fishing and camping for this weekend (August 3rd)  (Read 3766 times)

Mr Z

Good fishing and camping for this weekend (August 3rd)
« on: July 29, 2013, 11:56:06 PM »

Hey Guys,

I'm planing to go for fishing/camping with some buddies this weekend and I'll appreciate some suggestions. There are few other threads on this subject but locations really varies based on the season. So I was wondering what would be a good place in this period.

At the moment we are thinking of heading toward Kamloops but we are flexible on the destination (just not on the island).
A couple of options we are considering right now are Tunkwa Lake and Thompson River.

We are doing gear fishing. We are looking for good sized trout or salmon as our rods are on the medium size.

Any suggestion will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Mr Z
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:44:40 AM by Mr Z »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Good fishing and camping for this weekend (August 3rd)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:42:08 AM »

Tunkwa Lake Resort comes to mind for early August near Kamloops...

Here's a write-up for our trip there last year.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2012/08/30/chasing-late-summer-rainbow-trout/

You have the option of fishing Leighton and Logan Lakes nearby as well. If no boat, you can also drive north to the Thompson River for rainbow trout.

Mr Z

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:51:10 AM »

Thanks Rodney I was updating my post at the same time when you posted. I was looking at the website and Tunkwa and Thompson stand out to me

I'm glad to hear from you that they are in good shape in this season.

Do you think Tunkwa is fishable from shore or it also require a boat?

joshhowat

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 06:44:46 AM »

If you want to eat your catch I recommend tunkwa over Thompson.
Thompson rainbows are down right gross tasting.
Tunkwa has very tasty rainbows.

Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:04:28 AM »

If you want to eat your catch I recommend tunkwa over Thompson.
Thompson rainbows are down right gross tasting.
Tunkwa has very tasty rainbows.

Not in August...

croy_00

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 03:31:30 PM »

So many awesome lakes just north of Kamloops towards Little Fort. You pretty much can't go wrong up there.

MoeJKU

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »

Out of those two i would go tunkwa lake. If your not set on kamloops, i would put everything you need in a backpack and head to squamish.  Hike in to a spot thats not accessible by road and get away from crowds a bit and go for pinks they are fun on light tackle.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »

Tunkwa will have some very very skilled fly fisherman there over this weekend and the next week. The bomber sized chironomids should be starting to come off now until mid-late August. these flies come as big as an inch long !!

You can fish Tunkwa from shore however its better if you can get a boat so it allows you to move around freely. Also you can call ahead to the resort for up to date info on how the fishing has been and whats been working

during the bomber hatch you may find fishing with lures, bait or anything else might be tough going. I have been there for the bomber hatch and it can be spectacular fly fishing under the bobber.........you can fish chironies under a bobber with a spinning rod too  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Mr Z

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »

This is lots of great info, thanks guys.

I think we'll be setting up base camp to the Tunkwa lake resort and then we can fish the lake or head out on a daily trip to thompson or the other lakes in the area. They have boat for rent so we'll rent that one at least for one day.

Weather forecast looks horrible over the weekend, rain and thunderstorm .... hopefully the rain won't be too strong and we can still enjoy some good fishing.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:22:16 PM »

also if it doesn't rain you can head into Logan lake and go swimming off the dock to cool down  ;)

Logan can also fish decent for average to very large 'bows  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Mr Z

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »

during the bomber hatch you may find fishing with lures, bait or anything else might be tough going. I have been there for the bomber hatch and it can be spectacular fly fishing under the bobber.........you can fish chironies under a bobber with a spinning rod too  ;)

Thanks for the tip HOOK. Yeah sounds like a good idea. Using a chironies under a float might be our best chance in this period. If it's slow we'll give a shot to Logan or Thompson.

stlucio

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 04:41:33 PM »

I was in Kamloops for a week last week and stillwater fishing wasn't that great. I went to Logan, McConnell, and Horseshoe Lake but had very limited success. in the other hand, I had tons of fun on Thompson River at Juniper Provincial Park (Rodney actually recommended this place to me). They rise here and there, and if you get your dry fly right, they will bite! I finally understood why people get into dry fly fishing after my time at Thompson River. Highly recommend this area!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »

I had tons of fun on Thompson River at Juniper Provincial Park (Rodney actually recommended this place to me). They rise here and there, and if you get your dry fly right, they will bite! I finally understood why people get into dry fly fishing after my time at Thompson River. Highly recommend this area!

Glad that worked out. ;)

Mr Z

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 05:01:08 PM »

I was in Kamloops for a week last week and stillwater fishing wasn't that great. I went to Logan, McConnell, and Horseshoe Lake but had very limited success. in the other hand, I had tons of fun on Thompson River at Juniper Provincial Park (Rodney actually recommended this place to me). They rise here and there, and if you get your dry fly right, they will bite! I finally understood why people get into dry fly fishing after my time at Thompson River. Highly recommend this area!

Thanks for the info. I don't have a fly fishing setup. What's the best way to target trouts on the Thompson using gears? I was thinking of using some spinners/spoons.

Thanks,
Mr Z

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »

If you're just using gear. I'd highly recommend a light/ultralight spinning rod, 6' long, spool the small spinning reel with 6lb test line Maxima Ultragreen. Cast and retrieve a 1/8oz silver hammered Gibbs Croc spoon, wait for having the rod nearly yanked from your hands and the spool screaming.

If you have a longer rod, you can also float fish by tying on a stonefly nymph pattern, just let it drift freely near the bottom down the stream.