Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help finding the right lake for one person + boat  (Read 2346 times)

croy_00

Need help finding the right lake for one person + boat
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:41:13 PM »

Hey Guys! I have a bit of an odd question (or at least a forum search didn't have a solution), and could use some help. I recently moved down to Vancouver, and am looking for some decent fishing lakes. Seems simple enough, but there is a catch.

I have a small inflatable boat (12ft) along with a 36# Minn Kota trolling motor. Now the problem is, I fish alone, so I must pack my gear myself. What I am looking for is a lake I can drive close too, unload all of my gear, and go park the car without losing eyesight of all of my gear. The reason being, I have quite a bit of expensive gear, and would rather not leave it unattended if possible.

So my question is, are there any lakes within a couple hours drive of Vancouver where I can park relatively close to the lake, to keep an eye on my gear during unloading/loading?

Thanks!

MoeJKU

Re: Need help finding the right lake for one person + boat
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »

Lots of nice little lakes in harrisson mills area.
Or you could go the other way and look at Squamish lakes.
Look on the fishing locations area on the main page of fishingwithrod. he has posted some good reports  on lakes in both those areas.
Another option would be to get a Fishing mapbook for Region 2 and start exploring  different lakes.
Cheers, Moe

croy_00

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »

Lots of nice little lakes in harrisson mills area.
Or you could go the other way and look at Squamish lakes.
Look on the fishing locations area on the main page of fishingwithrod. he has posted some good reports  on lakes in both those areas.
Another option would be to get a Fishing mapbook for Region 2 and start exploring  different lakes.
Cheers, Moe

Awesome, I am going to go read up a bit on the Harrison Mills area. Thanks!

croy_00

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 05:47:06 PM »

Hmm, unfortunately the fishing locations descriptions don't quite tell me whether or not I can keep an eye on my gear while I park the car. Had a lot of other great info though!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »

If they have a boat launch then a lot of time the parking is close enough by you should be able to see your stuff OR setup your boat and then just carry your rods and stuff from the car to the boat. This is what I do if I have to park a bit away and I mean a bit away not like Buntzen where your parked a 5 minute walk from your boat. I also don't fish alone when on a lake so this isn't an issue

I think Hicks would work good for you. If I remember right the parking is right there by the launch. Kind of the same for Weaver, Wolf and possibly Grace lakes
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

croy_00

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »

If they have a boat launch then a lot of time the parking is close enough by you should be able to see your stuff OR setup your boat and then just carry your rods and stuff from the car to the boat. This is what I do if I have to park a bit away and I mean a bit away not like Buntzen where your parked a 5 minute walk from your boat. I also don't fish alone when on a lake so this isn't an issue

I think Hicks would work good for you. If I remember right the parking is right there by the launch. Kind of the same for Weaver, Wolf and possibly Grace lakes

Nice! Thanks for the info :) I used to always fish with my Dad, so it was never an issue before. I am probably being paranoid, but would hate to have the gear I worked so many overtime hours for stolen.