Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River, August 7th 2013  (Read 1076 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Squamish River, August 7th 2013
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:59:48 AM »

Had a go on the Squamish again yesterday and the conditions remain much the same.  Visibility about 6 inches. Fished there for a few hours and nothing but the fish were there - there were a fair number moving and I foul hooked two.   I saw others catching but I could not tell if they were caught properly or foul hooked -  I chucked everything I had out there with not a single bite.

Eventually I gave up a decided to move on to the Mamquam for some catch and release fishing.   I was encouraged to see the visibility on the Mamquam was better than the Squamish and also happy to see fish moving but no bites on my pink colorado blades.   Eventually switched to a gold croc and I had three fish in the space of 20 minutes.  They were all dime bright and 2 were females which was a change because I have been fishing the Squamish most of this week and they were all humpy males until then. 

Why the bite started and stopped so suddenly is a mystery to me.  I can only speculate there was a brief run of very fresh fishing passing by at that precise time.  I am not convinced my change of lure was the reason.  All fish moving near the surface were pretty humped and not as fresh as the ones I got.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:02:15 AM by fishseeker »

norm_2

Re: Squamish River, August 7th 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »

Thanks for the report and detail.  One thing I have to do is to experiment more with different lures.  I was aware that larger lures usually get bucks but certain lures for fresh fish is positive to hear.  Perhaps they are fresh from the ocean and that is the last feed they were into.

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish River, August 7th 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »

Males always come into the river first to "scout" then the females start to show.

Almost all females near the end of the run.