Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Mouth, August 8th 2013  (Read 1108 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Fraser River Mouth, August 8th 2013
« on: August 08, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »

Dion and I went out with Rob from Gibbs Delta and Jason from Bon Chovy Fishing Charters today to test out some of the flashers and lures for chinook and pink salmon. We arrived at Granville Island at 6:00am and we headed to T10 to coincide our troll with the peak tide. It was surprisingly choppy and the marine fog kept things pretty cold. Good thing we grabbed our jackets before heading out in the morning. Dion hooked up onto a small salmon, either a chinook jack or pink salmon, one hour into the troll, but it popped off before we saw it. T10 appeared to be pretty rough after awhile, so we headed down to Sand Heads, hoping to hook up one of those big Fraser reds. Dogfish were chewing away on our anchovies pretty hard at times. A few other boats were also out there working hard, navigating between all the commercial crab traps. We had another good bite at around 10:00am. I managed to grab it and had it on for quite awhile, before it broke the line off, which is pretty unusual.

After that, we decided to head up to Furry Creek to give it a go. Quite a few anglers on shore as always. Water appeared to be quite silty. We could see two fish being cleaned on the beach as we arrived. We managed to hook up two or three but again they all fell off the hook. After spending a couple of hours there, it was time to return to Granville Island. The bites were there, the anglers just didn't follow through today. Good company and weather made it a good day regardless.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fraser River Mouth, August 8th 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »

Here is a short compilation of video footage from yesterday's trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nicKad0L0DU