Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River, August 12th 2013  (Read 3784 times)

c-pin

Squamish River, August 12th 2013
« on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »

One word: BUSY.

From the train bridge on the Mamquam to the confluence of the Squamish, then down river as far as one could see, there were many anglers. I estimated at least 100.

There were fish in the system. The bite would turn on and off (as usual), where there were hookups every 3 or 4 casts, then it would calm down and you had to work for the fish. I was out with 2 buddies. One went home with 2 chrome bright females. One went home with 1 bright female. I didin't get a chrome ones to the beach (lost a few of them though), so no takers for me.

I fished with wool ties / spinners / spoons / fles. All produced fish.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish River, August 12th 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »

Thanks for the report, how was the water vis?

c-pin

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »

About 1 foot of visibility in the Mamquam.

Squamish looked pretty cloudy. Closer to shore it was cleaner - about 1 foot of visibility. I didn't venture down from the confluence of the Mamquam / Squamish, so it's difficult to say how clean the Squamish actually was.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »

I fished mouth of mamquam today , lots of semi coloured pinks there . Took 2 decent pinks home .
The water was continously droping throughout the day 3 feet in 8 hours , easy to wade across in some spots

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 10:45:19 PM »

it dropped 3 feet in 8hrs ??  :o

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 10:49:46 PM »

Gotta love those run of the river projects
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 11:35:39 PM »

I can without a doubt say 2 feet , no less for sure . Islands were showing up and i had a small rockpile that i had to change 3 times to adjust .

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:33 AM »

One word: BUSY.

From the train bridge on the Mamquam to the confluence of the Squamish, then down river as far as one could see, there were many anglers. I estimated at least 100.

This was on  a monday???

mmm

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »

100 on a Monday...what time did you get there?

c-pin

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »

Yeah guys ..... on a Monday.

Everyone I chatted with had the same comment, "Doesn't anyone work anymore?" I was pretty surprised.

I was on the river about 8:00am. When I noticed all the anglers, it was around Noon. I left about 1:30pm.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:25:19 AM »

Yeah guys ..... on a Monday.

Everyone I chatted with had the same comment, "Doesn't anyone work anymore?" I was pretty surprised.

I was on the river about 8:00am. When I noticed all the anglers, it was around Noon. I left about 1:30pm.

Got there about 2:15 and got to pick the spot I wanted......maybe the high winds or others being there for a long time changed matters.  Mornings do seem to be the busiest time.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »

I was there yesterday and it was extremely busy.  All the regulars were saying it was busier than weekends. 

Lots of fish around.  Most people fishing around the confluence of the two rivers were snagging fish regularly in the heavy water.  For the most part I think it was unintentional.

Moving down to the larger bar avoids this as there are thousands of fish eager to bite in calmer water.  Although it was busy almost everyone in this area was very respectful and displayed good etiquette and fish handling skills.

Dead drift with small bead head flies on the floating line was the key for me. 

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »

Yeah, Monday was BUSSSSYYY from 2pm onwards. My theory is that now that Furry Creek has slowed down everyone is up at Squamish. That and the recent layoffs... That being said, there are less crowded spots if one dares to venture away from those popular places.

Lots of fish around.  Most people fishing around the confluence of the two rivers were snagging fish regularly in the heavy water.  For the most part I think it was unintentional.

Definitely unintentional, for the most part. I saw fly guys snagging fish regularly in CALM water. The water was just THAT THICK with fish. My buddy and I were guilty ourselves; floating wool or retrieving spoons... fouled:fair was about 50:50 (mind you, I had a lot spit the hook before landing so there were probably more were fair than that).

Although it was busy almost everyone in this area was very respectful and displayed good etiquette and fish handling skills.

Yep.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 12:19:49 PM »

I fished the Squamish  on the 12th as well.  Lots of fish but I didn't see any truly bright fish.   All were still silvery but with the males all humped up and nothing I would call a keeper.

Hitting flies on the dangle.  Many fish travelling within 10 feet from shore, often behind the fishers who waded in.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »

I was out on tuesday. Fished from 6:30 to 10am, wasn't busy at all where I was....but I don't fish at 'the spot' that everyone seems to congregate at. Tons of fish around, mixed bag of chromers and big humpys. No zombies yet though, most i would consider decent table fare. Brought home a couple of does, so will be firing up the smoker on my next set of days off. Cheap and effect set up - float fish with a size 1 hook with a pink or purple grub tail. Float to hook - 20" or so.