Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish River, August 18th 2013  (Read 7127 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Squamish River, August 18th 2013
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »

I had the best day today, fishing a floating line with four feet of #10 test leader and a bead head fly. I was fishing slow water and getting them mostly on the retrieve.

I had started with a slow sinking tip, but after flossing three or four in a row, I realized that I needed to change something. Out came the full floater, and the rest is history. Twenty fish to the beach in about three hours, all of them right in the yap. Reminded me of coho fishing in the sloughs, with those pinks jumping and rolling. Took home two identical twin males - as chrome and as humpless as they can be.  ;D

Somebody made a comment about there being lots of people with a fly rod. True, it seemed everyone and their cousin was fly fishing today. Sadly, most of them were lining the fish with their sinking tips. They will be in for a rough awakening when the fish become few and far between.
Mamquam's water visibility was quite decent in the afternoon, BTW, at a good foot or so.

Furry Creek was fishing very well, too. My buddies limited out in the morning in less than an hour.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:01:38 PM by milo »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Squamish River, August 18th 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »

Great to hear you had a fantastic day. Hopefully we see eachother again soon.

All the best  :)

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:16:54 AM »

The morning was good enough at Furry Creek but I heard the afternoon and evening was slow.  I hooked 13 and landed 7.
There is less fish than previous weeks, but there are fewer people too, so you actually have elbow room when you're casting.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »

The morning was good enough at Furry Creek but I heard the afternoon and evening was slow.  I hooked 13 and landed 7.
There is less fish than previous weeks, but there are fewer people too, so you actually have elbow room when you're casting.

Great pics FLC!!!

Where are your pic milo?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »

Where are your pic milo?

Too busy catching fish to bother. ;D

andrew5

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »

I stopped in to Furry Creek near the end of the day. Still a decent amount of visible fish juming, but fading light and low water vis meant slow fishing. Should have been there at low tide in the a.m.!

bluenoser

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »

Went up for the afternoon with the wife and 13yr old daughter in tow. Its been a few years since she caught a salmon and her interest has been waning. Anyway Squamish didnt let her down, set her up drifting a small chartreus dick nite under a float in slow moving water and she ended up hooking and landing several...only one foul hooked. I used the flyrod with a chartreus clouser and its the best fishing I've had since....the last pink run. Lots of fun and as you noted Milo I was surprised at how many flyrods were out.

My buddy calls Squamish Valhalla and sometimes I have to agree.

Bluenoser

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 12:40:59 AM »

. I used the flyrod with a chartreus clouser and its the best fishing I've had

Yes, it was unreal the last time I fished it. At one point it was a fish biting every cast; not 4 casts would go by without hooking one in the yap. That bite lasted >1 hr.

C.Clouser ftw.

<20% foul hook-ups made for a very enjoyable fishing experience on the 6wt.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:24:32 AM »

<20% foul hook-ups made for a very enjoyable fishing experience on the 6wt.

That's a great ratio. But with practice and adjustments to the particular spot one is fishing, it can go down to almost zero.
Glad to see the floating line approach is catching on...I am kind of terrified about what we will be seeing on the Vedder this year if the trend of using sinking tips to sweep through schools of migrating fish continues.  :-\

HKSR

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:45:41 AM »

hey guys, I'm thinking about heading up some time this week.  Is it as big of a gong show as everyone makes it out to be?  Or can one actually find a bit of solitude by simply walking 10 or 15min down the river?

zabber

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »

with practice and adjustments to the particular spot one is fishing, it can go down to almost zero.

I was fishing "still"water (no current) that was pretty thick with fish... I think the only way not to foul hook one would be with: a dry fly, something with very little weight, and/or a very fast strip. Even then I see foul-hooking as possible (as fish were porpoising fairly frequently), but -- ya -- probably less frequently.

If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks milo!

zabber

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »

can one actually find a bit of solitude by simply walking 10 or 15min down the river?

You can find solitude on MOST rivers by taking a hike ;)

The well documented spots on this river are a zoo. Avoid them if you don't like people, sharing, elbow room, and/or snaggarts :P

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »

The area I fished in Squamish on Sunday had ZERO people and endless fish.  I did have to walk for 10 minutes though...exhausting  ;)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »

Dennis, is that a trailer hook set up on your spoon?

How did it work on pinks? Have had nothing but great success with it on bull trout, bows and steelhead. Haven't had a chance to test it on pinks or coho yet

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 10:46:38 AM »

Lots of solitude available on the Squamish if that is what you are looking for. Just hit the river away from any of the popular spots and you will find a nice area to yourself. For me, the gong show is part of the equation in pink and sockeye fisheries.

Trout, coho and steelhead...that's another story. I will walk up to an hour to get away from it all.

Quote from: zabber
If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

You can try casting 45 degrees downstream and start stripping only when the fly line is in full parallel with the flow. It is rare for a fish to get foul hooked on the retrieve.