Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sealing roe in Jars?  (Read 12993 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: sealing roe in Jars?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »

Fridge freezer? Such a limited amount of storage lol I have my own deep freeze for bait.

ha,ha yes not everyone is that lucky.

zap brannigan

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 02:18:54 PM »

Roe in the freezer for 2 seasons? Your not fishing enough.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »

Well that; and I get a lot of roe.

trot

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »

I guide for a few months of the year and fish daily-After that I go back to my real job and only manage to fish my three days off most weeks. I couldn't possibly fish more unless I went on EI!!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 06:57:55 PM »

I guide for a few months of the year and fish daily-After that I go back to my real job and only manage to fish my three days off most weeks. I couldn't possibly fish more unless I went on EI!!

Or guide year round  ;D

norton

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »

Well I've never used frozen roe that was as good as unfrozen roe. Freezing roe breaks the eggs. Sure it works, but it doesn't compare to unfrozen roe. Try it , you'll like it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 09:25:49 PM »

Well I've never used frozen roe that was as good as unfrozen roe. Freezing roe breaks the eggs. Sure it works, but it doesn't compare to unfrozen roe. Try it , you'll like it.

Bollocks! Freezing cured roe does not break the eggs. I used to keep my roe in the fridge in borax but I found that the borax kept drying out the roe until it was hard like sour keys and basicially needed to be tossed. Was chatting with a guide at the beginning of this season and his advice was keep it in the FREEZER unless you are going out the next morning, then take it out the night before. At the end of the day put it BACK in the freezer. I did this with all my roe this season and it was always very fresh looking and caught more fish than when I kept it in the fridge.

However I've found with single egg sacks (salt water hardened) the WILL burst in the freezer. I spend hours tying up sacks last steelhead season only to have half of them burst in the freezer >:( I found they keep fine in the fridge even for several months.

norton

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »

Freezing roe does break the eggs . You may   have good roe , but unfrozen roe is far superior, I've used roe for over 50 years. You just have to burn off the oxygen and seal the jar.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 11:40:21 AM »

Freezing roe does break the eggs . You may   have good roe , but unfrozen roe is far superior, I've used roe for over 50 years. You just have to burn off the oxygen and seal the jar.

Well...I am not going to dispute the fact the fresh/unfrozen roe is desirable over frozen and thawed roe. The same goers for food that I eat such as fresh steak over frozen and thawed steak. And I am always up for trying/learning something new so I will give the method a shot of not freezing it an storing it in a jar in the fridge with the air removed.

However I do not agree with the statement that freezing roe breaks the eggs. I fished some roe the other day that was in the freezer for over a month incased in borax in a tupperware and it was totally fine, the eggs were nice and juicy, and it caught many fish.

I will agree that freezing UNCURED roe not incased in borax will cause the eggs to burst. I can attest to this as last year I spend hours tieing up single egg roe sacka and then freezing them (stupid I didn't know) and 9/10 of them burst and were ruined >:( However for my experience roe that is cured and frozen esp incased in borax wil not burst.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Shawn6o4

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »

I also fished some roe yesterday morning that had been in the freezer for about a month and a half and had the same results, eggs were fine and caught a few wilds with it. Never had a problem with freezing roe.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »

I also fished some roe yesterday morning that had been in the freezer for about a month and a half and had the same results, eggs were fine and caught a few wilds with it. Never had a problem with freezing roe.

X2

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 12:09:53 PM »

:P

mvelasco

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 01:44:58 PM »

I have stored my roe in freezer bags thus far and havent really had an issue. last batch I did was six skeins of coho (brined)  in one freezer bag and almost a full box of borax. or one skein(brined) in a small freezer bag  with borax and all bags in a bigger freezer bag for organization. just the way I do it, stayed away from mason jars.

Animal Chin

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »

I have a vacuum sealer with a jar attachment. I think for my next batch I'm not going to store it in borax, I found that it dried it out too much.

I also follow Pautzke's instructions and cure in fridge for 3 days, so that may have something to do with it being over dry. They fish great the first day out of freezer but any longer than that and the eggs get too dry for my liking.  I think I prefer goopy eggs.

I thought re-freezing was a no no, maybe spawn is right and unused roe in borax in the fridge was causing it to dry out. I'll try re-freezing unused roe.

The best results I got was when I cut pieces into loonie/twoonie size, shake and bake in borax, put in jars and vacuum sealed without additional borax. I also bought a small chest freezer and it is way colder than my fridge freezer, so anything stored for a long time will go in the chest freezer. But if I knew I was going to use eggs within 2 weeks, i would just leave them in fridge. Did that last year and it worked out great.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:13:22 PM by Animal Chin »

zap brannigan

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 08:16:58 PM »

Curing in fire cure I only leave it a day at most, then dry on racks for 10 hours or so and into borax, not too dry at all eggs look good fish even better and keep in the fridge for months.

I've never used jars though, I use big Tupperware containers usually get about 6-8 skeins in each one, whole bottom shelf is full of roe in my fridge.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:03:30 PM by zap brannigan »