Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sealing roe in Jars?  (Read 12999 times)

mdc8427

sealing roe in Jars?
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »

My Old lady just got into canning ( beans, jams ect  ..)  And i thought to myself is there a way to seal roe into a mason jar just like you would do food.  i would think the heat from the processing ( heating of the jar and so on) would destory the eggs..    Thoughts?????????  8)

Tuckster

Re: sealing roe in Jars?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:04:37 AM »

As far as the curing process is concerned.....air doesn't effect the roe after it has been cured as no bacteria can grow (if it has been cured properly). So i don't think that storing in a vacuum sealed mason jar would help make it last longer, and i agree i think the heating would weaken the integrity of the roe.

My thoughts, best way would be to vacuum seal the roe with a little borax and then freezer. Also makes it easy to only take out small portions at at time.....unless you used the teeny tiny mason jars.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:21:14 AM »

i think roe in mason small mason jars is a great idea. i was planning on doing that with the next fish i catch. i wouldnt worry about the whole heating up part but just roe with borax then seal it so no air gets in. i bet it would stay good for a a lot longer

mdc8427

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »

Ya in theory its a good idea, get small jars for some single eggs and so on, but ya i think ill try the vacume seal route and try the jar thing wont be for a bit but ill post my findings.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »

I put all my cured roe I  jars. Cover the top of them with a generous amount of borax, put the lids of the jar in hot water. Have the lid rings ready to go. Twist a small piece of wax paper into a candle shape and stick it in the borax. Make sure there is a gap between the borax and the top of the jar (you need some air space. Too much or too little and it doesn't work). Take the lid out of the hot water and dry it off. Before it cools light the wax paper candle. While it is lit, quickly put the lid on and secure it with the lid ring. The candle will extinguish but will have heated up the air trapped in the jar (the borax provides a buffer so the roe doesn't get ruined). The air cools and creates a vacuum and seals the jar.

I have  had roes in the freezer for over two years and it came out fine when I used this process.

joshhowat

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »

Light match throw in jar. Screw lid on fast and it will burn out sealing the jar.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »

Light match throw in jar. Screw lid on fast and it will burn out sealing the jar.

Too simple, let them do it the hard way lol.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Fishawn

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »

Just a quick tip in case anyone is vacuum sealing their roe for the first time.  It works much better if you freeze your cured roe first, and then vacuum seal it.  Otherwise, some of the eggs will get crushed as the machine is pulling the air out of the bag.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 03:55:16 PM »

My Grandfather showed me the jar method with a small piece of paper and fire method.
Just light paper and screw on lid. The flame removes the oxygen and then put in the fridge.
Grandpa been using that method for 50yrs. He always had great roe.
Simple and easy.
Rando
The Fishin Musician

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »

No I wouldn't store roe in glass jars.
Jars are not as flexible to arrange.
Plus glass is breakable.
I use plastic bags and clear foil and my roe keeps well for 2 years.

trot

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »

No I wouldn't store roe in glass jars.
Jars are not as flexible to arrange.
Plus glass is breakable.
I use plastic bags and clear foil and my roe keeps well for 2 years.

Flexible to arrange? You sound like my wife! Besides, that's what the fridge/freezer in the garage is for.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »

Flexible to arrange? You sound like my wife! Besides, that's what the fridge/freezer in the garage is for.

Fridge freezer? Such a limited amount of storage lol I have my own deep freeze for bait.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

trot

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »

Fridge freezer? Such a limited amount of storage lol I have my own deep freeze for bait.

I am aware it is still the little leagues-Problem I have is the garage has to many toys and no room for both a beer fridge and a deep freeze. Had to compromise for a two in one. ;)

norton

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »

Yea. That's the way I preserve row. Put cured roe in jar. Place a piece of paper on top of roe. Light the paper, and screw the lid as paper is burning. The flame of course will go out When all the oxygen is burnt off. Then I place in the refrigerator. I never freeze roe, it destroys the eggs.

trot

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 09:08:18 PM »

Yea. That's the way I preserve row. Put cured roe in jar. Place a piece of paper on top of roe. Light the paper, and screw the lid as paper is burning. The flame of course will go out When all the oxygen is burnt off. Then I place in the refrigerator. I never freeze roe, it destroys the eggs.

I have stuff that has been in the freezer for two seasons now and its still the same as the day it was frozen. Do it right and it lasts as long as you need without going to crap.